Why do 78rpm Records sound so Bad?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Om, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

People usually think of a 78 as being hissy/noisy. Is it because of the Shellac material used for it? Just Audio Equipment in the studio "back then"? Grooves are thinner?

Probably cause most are over 50 years old.

In theory 78rpm should bring the best sound quality out of all the record formats.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Potentially 78s can have better sound than LPs because the disc has a fatter groove and the ripples in the groove fly by the needle much faster than on an LP. But remember that 78s, by and large, are old and abused. All but a few were made with older technology in the recording chain, limiting the bandwidth and dynamics and yes, shellac is noisier. But a huge reason why these discs sound as bad as they do is abuse. A lot of 78s are physically worn out. Remember that the bulk of them have 20/40 more years on them than your VG- copy of "Meet the Beatles" and that record doesn't sound so hot these days, at least after you played it to death before you got decent equipment. And the bulk of 78's were played with steel needles. Those needles should have been discarded after a few plays because of wear to the needles but that rarely happened.

Spagelo, tmtomh, SandAndGlass and 5 others like this.
  3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

78's can... and DO... sound very good. If a 78 sounds "bad", that's usually because it wasn't restored properly with regard to the many pre-RIAA equalizations that were used. Every record company had their own EQ. It's relatively easy to listen to 78's, but restoring them is an art that few bother to properly learn.

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have a few 78s that saw little to no use before I acquired them, and they sound truly spectacular, with a reasonably low noise floor.

Most 78s have been damaged through a combination of poor care and primitive playback equipment.

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

When played with a proper setup, 78s sound amazing. If they sound bad it's because (a.) they're being played on a crappy system, (b.) they're being played without the correct stylus/cartridge/player/equalization/speed, or (c.) the 78s are badly worn (probably from being played on a crappy system). That "hissy/noisy" sound is not inherent to the 78 format. Some of mine, even approaching 90 years old, are amazingly quiet and dynamic.

JazzPolice, The FRiNgE and Lonson like this.
  6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Define "bad". This sounds superior to a modern hyper-compressed digital recording:

And this is from an LP of some old 78s, so second generation. :)

7. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Getting somewhat close can make much of a difference when playing 78"s. :agree:
    I bought a preamp just for playing records, and the turnover, rolloff, subsonic and rumble features
    really help with dialing in 78's for their best fidelity.

[​IMG]

8. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

78 vinyl sounds superb especially with newer less harsh active 2 way LS

kevinsinnott likes this.
  9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Wrong. 78s sound great without being hissy/noisy!

10. action pact

And the SME 3009 S2 Improved tonearm isn't even especially well-suited to 78 playback!

Sneaky Pete and EasterEverywhere like this.
  11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Indeed they do!!!

I love my 78s! (I have one EDISON record that is 80)

morinix likes this.
  12. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

13. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I collected Sun Records for years. The 78s sound much better than the 45s. The 78s had better bass and something else I can only call "presence". I don't know how to describe it. Fuller sound?

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course. Any rock 78 will kill the 45 version totally.

Fiddlefye, MrRom92, Om and 3 others like this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

My avatar disagrees with the OP :targettiphat:

16. action pact

Agreed! You ain't lived until you've heard Little Richard blasting off a 78. The snare drum is like a ballpean hammer on yo' skull.

17. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

HK Citation I

18. Steve Hoffman

It's a shame that the record companies decided to kill off 78's in 1957. They were just getting the hang of mastering hot rockin' sizzle platters from a tape source.

19. action pact

I'd love to hear one of those Indian or Filipino Beatles 78s, although I doubt that those countries were able to produce quality pressings at that time.

DavidFell likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

I have a Carl Perkins SUN 78 of "Glad All Over" that actually sounds better than the master tape. Man, that thing cooks. It's just wide band fixed groove cutting with a nice RCA tube compressor in the circuit, wide open. Probably cut on gear made in the 1930's or 40's! Everyone's dream rock sound, come to life.

21. action pact

Oh wow... Does it have the same loud background hiss that Sun LPs and 45s suffered from? Probably not, since it is not pressed on the same poor quality vinyl, right?

22. Steve Hoffman

No background noise at all. Just amazing.

23. action pact

Jealous!!

24. Steve Hoffman

Eh, cost me three bucks in 1990. Guy who sold it to me thought it was the original Dave Clark Five song. Silly.

bhazen, Om and EasterEverywhere like this.
  25. action pact

That was a great investment. I have lots of rock'n'roll & blues 78s, but nothing on Sun. (I do have a dead mint Willie Love 78 on Trumpet though!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.