"Batman" (Adam West TV show) on DVD Update

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John DeAngelis, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So much for the commentaries recorded years back - I was really hoping we'd get to hear these... or are they being kept for the inevitable, slightly less limited double dip edition later on down the line?

2. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

From TV Shows On DVD:

Last night the 2014 San Diego Comic Con officially got under way, and one of the first big events was Warner Home Video's "Bat-panel," featuring Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar to formally introduce WHV's long-awaitedNovember 11thDVD and Blu-ray releases of the 1966Batmanlive-action television series. With that unveiling last night, this morning the studio has distributed finalized info and package art for their three November 11th Bat-titles. Did we say "3" there? YES! Because not only is Warner releasing the previously-announcedBatman - The Complete Television SeriesDVD set (18 discs, $199.70 SRP), and theBatman - The Complete Television Series: Limited Edition Blu-rayset (13 BD discs, $269.97 SRP, with UltraViolet digital, Hot Wheels replica Batmobile, Adam West Scrapbook and 44 Vintage Trading Cards), but they've just announced that on the same day they will also put in stores a bare-bones (i.e.: no extras) DVD release ofBatman - The Television Series: The Complete 1st Season(5 discs, $39.98 SRP).

As it turns out, the previous cover art we passed along for theBatman - The Complete Television Series: Limited Edition Blu-rayset was a placeholder image rather than the finalized art, and the actual package is an impressive (and long) "gift box" that is chock full o' Bat-stuff...especially the afore-mentioned Hot Wheels replica Batmobile! This morning we see that the folks at the Warner Archive (although these titles are NOT "Warner Archive" products, but rather traditionally-pressed discs which WILL be sold in stores) helped post images from the SDCC Bat-panel,including a "beauty shot" peekat the contents of theLimited Edition Blu-rayset (while West, Ward and Newmar look on). That image we have for you at the bottom, along with the finalized package art images for all three titles.

First up, though, let's have a breakdown of everything you'll get in each title, while stating that the aspect ratio for all three is said by Warner to be the original 4X3 "full frame" (square) that passionate fans will certainly expect and demand (no word yet on language support or format, other than English, nor is there word so far on whether or not there will be any subtitles or closed captioning...the studio simply hasn't said yet!):

Taken from:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman-The-Complete-TV-Series/20098#ixzz38UlqR1af

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

For almost $300 list, I would expect it to include Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar's signatures on the box.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I can't imagine that there won't be a later tchotchke-free version of the Blu-ray set, for a much more reasonable
    price than this initial deluxe one, if the price of the bare-bones DVD set is any indication. I'm fine with waiting
    until that glorious day to get my HD Batman '66 fix.

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I'm glad I got in at the pre-order price. I can't imagine there are many more physical releases for 50 year old media (says the guy who passed on the Kinks mono box)

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

7. Myke

Price has dropped back to $189.99 at Amazon...

8. I'm an Amazon Prime member, so I'm locked into whatever the low price will be between now and Nov. 11th...3 and half months to go before it actually comes out, so I'm sitting pretty in the catbird seat as far as waiting for it to happen...:winkgrin:

9. Myke

Same here, but there are others who might benefit from this information.

Also, to those that don't already know, being locked into whatever low price, is not exclusive to being a Prime member. It's for anyone placing a pre order with Amazon.
    It's called the Pre Order Price Guarantee.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

12 episodes to a BD. Why not just release it on VHS?

11. DreadPikathulhu

That's about right for a half-hour show, especially if it's not going to have lossless surround and will have limited bonus features.

I'm assuming that this will be the original mono soundtracks.

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Wake me when you get the bitching and moaning about the price of this out of your systems.

(Also, I really do not care if you are "in", nor will I be waiting to learn with bated breath all about when or if your copy gets shipped to you.)

This is the first time the Batman television series has been released on home video. Of course WB is going to try and get whatever they can for it.

You don't like the price? Don't buy it. Simple really.

Why can't a thread here at SH.TV focus on the contents of a release, and other important details like that?

Nope. Just about every thread here devolves into "discussions" about who's buying, who's not buying, and the inevitable obligatory "mine's shipped!" posts.

Ok, now that that is out of the way, there are at least two vintage productions that should be on this set, but for whatever reason, aren't.

The first one is a 1966-1967 preview of ABC shows - starring Adam West and Burt Ward. It's got some of Batman's funniest lines, but I'd imagine clearance issues for all the other TV shows featured would be brutal.

The other is the short Batgirl pilot film that introduces the character. Its exclusion is very odd indeed.

milankey and MarkTheShark like this.
  13. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

The Blu-ray set may be way too expensive (and you wouldn't believe how much it will cost me with import tax and stuff), but this is really special to me, I've been waiting for it since the good old days of the VCR. So I have already pre-ordered it. That will be my Christmas/birthday present from me to myself.

14. Myke

Got a news flash for you Sparky...IT'S THE INTERNET !!!!!!!
    Same exact posts going over at the Blu ray sites too. A combination of the contents of the release, the bitching about the price, the updates about who has ordered it, and who hasn't, and come November, shipping notices.
    Don't like it ? Get off the internet. I unwatched the thread over there, because it was being bumped every 20 seconds with nonsensical information. Easy. One click, aggravation over.
    Expecting everyone else to change their behavior is an exercise in futility.

alexpop likes this.
  15. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Geez...pugnacious much?

No Mike, I think I'll stay on the internet. I'll just add you to my ignore list here. Much easier that way.

16. Myke

You go off on a rant against everyone who has posted in a manner, annoying to you, and I'm pugnacious. Hilarious. :laugh:

Johnny66 likes this.
  17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

THAT I'd be able to play :D

18. DreadPikathulhu

Isn't that just like every other new release speculation/discussion thread at the Hoffman forums?

Myke likes this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Thanks to our Gorts, this discussion is quite nice comparatively.
    I like you Michelle, but your off base on this one. Yes I exclaimed my sticker shock. So what? This thread is six years old.
    Bitching about what we think of ANY release, be it aspect ratio or "brickwalling" remasters, just shows that we care and that there are few sheep here. Sometimes our bitching gets results because industry people ARE here, and they sometimes are not aware.
    Relax. Its all good.

Myke likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

Considering what you get, the list price for this is way out of line. The current Amazon price of $188 is more what I'd expect and even that is pushing it. I said the same thing about the "I Love Lucy" and "Star Trek: TNG" Blu-Ray sets. Do we enen know how "limited" this set is? 5000? 50000?

21. I don't mind the pricing, this is the first time it's hit home video after decades of waiting. I am not as happy with the episode per disc count, I expect compression problems unless they heavily filtered the film transfer. Someone obviously had a mandate to cut down the total number of discs in the set.

22. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

My comments weren't being directed at you, nor anyone else specifically.

My point was that people have been waiting for this release for like forever. I'd rather focus on what the set has going for it, instead of pages of people throwing hissy fits about the price.

WB is releasing the big box to get the hardcore fans, and they will release individual season sets for everyone else. (The first season is going to have a SRP of under $40.)

My complaint with the set is the fact it seems to be missing the aforementioned Batgirl pilot and the ABC preview film. Modern documentaries on the show aren't as crucial as original-cast productions.

And, yes, I'm concerned about the number of episodes per disc. (Although maybe WB will add discs if the outcry becomes too much between now and November.)

There are other things (minor, geeky things) that WB is sure to get wrong as well - namely the out-of-synch sound effects the first episode's opening credits should have. And I'm sure they'll eliminate the "next week's villain" cards to boot. (It also remains to be seen if Lesley Gore's song, "Maybe Now", will be included. While "California Nights" made it to syndication, "Maybe Now" has been edited out of contemporary prints.)

23. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. Myke

Yep, saw that over on Blu-ray.com, and I'm sticking with Amazon, since there's the possibility of damage in shipment, and I already know how they'll handle any possible returns, or exchanges. WB is a risk for me, and with a set this large, and expensive, I'd rather not roll the dice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.