Anyone got Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" Audio Fidelity 180 gram Vinyl release yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter K, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

You often find that one turntable/stylus combination will offer a very different audio experience from another. It's pointless comparing vinyl too closely. But there was also a fair amount of previous discussion about the pressing quality. If not in this exact thread, certainly elsewhere. But again, some set-ups are more revealing or forgiving of surface noises than others. I do find this edition a little strange sounding when compared to my Australian EMI pressing which is probably a Maxicut although it doesn't say, and I've never quite put my finger on it. Maybe "veiled" isn't quite the word I'd choose. But somethings missing IMO. Maybe a bit too laid back for my preference? But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. And more power to them if so....Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I have both Audio Fidelity Kate Bush reissues and they sound fine.

Hounds #3716. Maybe the problems were for the earlier numbers and they came up with a solution.

3. imarcq

Thats very possible. I have a much lower number #0161. You may have hit the nail on the head...I'm going to give it a listen tomorrow and check my recollections.

4. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

i picked up another copy of HoL on AF and it sounds fine!!!

imarcq likes this.
  5. imarcq

That's cool. They must have ironed out the initial pressing issues by now. Mine still crackles, annoying during the quiet bits as I re-checked!

dvcarrick and sound chaser like this.
  6. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

9. Scott Wheeler

10. imarcq

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Waking the Witch sounds good on the remaster to me, real deep and rich, analog goodness, but i never had/heard the original Vinyl so I can't compare.

imarcq likes this.
  12. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

14. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Agreed

15. Scott Wheeler

I wonder if the repressing has a different look

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's just an artist's rendering, not the real thing.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. JDS77

JDS77 Member

I just received both of these and HOL is very definitely purple as opposed to the pink i was expecting, but looking around on the internet i have the impression the Audio Fidelity have done each pressing in a different colour...?
    I've only listened to The Sensual World late last night (so wasn't able to crank it up) but it does sound very good indeed; very quiet pressing and much better separation of instruments - very clear and precise sounding, though maybe not as warm & full as i was expecting (though i'd like to judge again at higher volume).
    I am a bit dissapointed as mine arrived from the UK with slightly damaged sleeves, which is annoying especially considering the price. I do wish stores would take more care to package vinyl records better. I'm debating sending them back, as it's such a pain, and i could end up with worse sounding copies. If my copy of Hounds Of Love is a good one (ie. without the side 2 noise that others mentioned) then i'll probably just keep them.
    Also, is it me or does the main cover artwork of both records seems a little off - just a bit too heavy on the black..?

18. I've had my copy for about a year now (can't remember the exact time period), and the image below is a very close approximation of what the vinyl looks like.

[​IMG]

19. It's a great sounding record and very beautiful. Mine is brand new.

[​IMG]

20. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

What!! I want that purple one now, have the pink already. Is that a new batch I suppose?

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  21. imarcq

The artwork has been reconstructed and does not quite have the finesse of the original. The typesetting is a little clumsy, but OK to the untrained eye. Can you check and see whether they've fixed the typo on Cloudbusting now? The purple pressing looks awesome though. I'm not so keen on my pink one, it's a bit pukey. Sorry Kate, not your fault I know, I still love you, and I'll be there in September to cheer you on!

dvcarrick likes this.
  22. JDS77

JDS77 Member

No, the Cloudbusting error is still there.

I've decided i'm probably going to return both; i could have lived with the damaged sleeves but Hounds of Love has the noise problem on side 2 that many others have talked about.

23. imarcq

That's annoying after all this time you would have thought they could fix those things. But The Sensual World is very good indeed. I was tempted to buy the new HOL dark purple, but now I'm not too sure. Side two of that record demands a black silence and the surface noise destroys the ambience.

Stuart S likes this.
  24. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

That's why I bought the CD with the 6 Bonus tracks to compliment the LP, but the purple lettering on top of a white cd just aint the same.

imarcq likes this.
  25. Shank's Pony

Shank's Pony Forum Resident

Bought the 2010 pressing plagued with non-fill on side two.

Just bought the 2014 re-press now with side one with non-fill through ‘Running up that hill’ and ‘Mother stands for comfort’. Few tiny millimetre audible scratches and generally high noise floor of crackle with occasional pops made worse due to the fact it has been cut quieter.

Side two is now thankfully free from non-fill, but same high noise floor of crackle with occasional pops. Looks like you have to use both pressings just to play this mastering. Thanks RTI for continuing to suck at quality control. The non-fill is instantly visible when inspecting the record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.