Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore Box Set (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex D

Alex D Forum Resident

Picked up the CD set this afternoon- have only, as of yet, listened to the first disc. First impression:

If the rest of this set is as good as disc 1, I just may have a heart attack. Superb performances and , IMHO, superb sound. Serves to remind what an awesome force of nature this ensemble was at the time- simply thrilling music making.

Saturday is going to be a fun day. :edthumbs:

ssmith3046 and Edgard Varese like this.
  2. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Congrats Alex D for letting us know about the sound and playing. I will be getting in the very near future. I'm so into the Blues right now with the Johnny Winter and Michael Bloomfield box sets.

Rick A.

bluesaddict likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm listening to side 2 of the vinyl box. I'm liking the sound and the music is awesome.

Clanceman and Edgard Varese like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I really hate you guys. :cussing:

;)

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm surprised that some already have the vinyl and CD sets. I guess some sellers aren't bound by the 7/29 release date. That's great for those that have it but I'm curious if the label can question those sellers for releasing stock a few days early.

Bill

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Don't question a good thing

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Please, should anybody post the deadwax details from the LPs it will be great, so as to check if the EU and USA cuts are the same or not.

Thanks!

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes, I assume it's the machine's age that is the problem! I could possibly afford to replace the BD player, but not the amp, which is from the pre-HDMI days. So I need the analogue outs to maintain the hi rez surround sound capacity. Shame about the moondance disc, though.

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

As and when anyone gets the Blu-Rays, it would be nice to get confirmation that they do contain both stereo and surround sound mixes.

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

My BDP S480 perfectly plays the Moondance Blu-ray disc.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm curious so I asked. Maybe someone will answer the question then if anyone else is also curious about this then we'll know.

Bill

12. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

I'd be interested in sonic comparisons with the MOFI and recent SHM CD release.

13. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Whoa-hoo :goodie:

Your Amazon.co.uk order of "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings 6 CD..." has been dispatched.
    Total:£28.81

14. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I wish the BluRay box would drop in price. Still $99 !

15. On back of Blu-ray release: All Region
    Audio (96 kHz/24 bit): DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Dolby TrueHD Stereo

So yes, that can be confirmed.

ranasakawa likes this.
  16. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The all region bit is good news

17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I went the Bullmoose route too. A shade over $58 bucks out the door is the best deal I could find.

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Mine too, now the wait begins, it usually don't take that long for stuff coming from UK to LA.

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just finished listening to the first Blu Ray disc of this set in 5.1 surround. OK surround mix, no gimmicks. Music in front three channels ( with sub augmentation), room ambience when music is playing in rears. Audience fully in rear channels. So you feel as if your sitting front and center.

I know many like this type of 5.1 mix for live music, but I like my surround on the gimmicky side ( so I will keep my DTS disc and 5.1 SACD mix which I haven't listened to in a long time so I don't remember if it is gimmicky or not).

Anyway, the sound on the blu ray disc was Sterling... Wow. Will probably listen to the whole set over the week in surround and then repeat in stereo.

I also picked up the LP version, but have yet to open it. Will do so after I'm done with the blu ray set.

lukpac likes this.
  20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As has mine. :)

21. Can your estate send the collection to me then?

Alex D and Craig like this.
  22. MikeT

Forgot to mention, that the stereo mix on the blu ray discs is in LPCM (96/24), whereas the 5.1 mix is either available in DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD. The package indicates that the stereo presentation is in Dolby TrueHD stereo, but I couldn't find that on disc 1.

Also strangely the audio menu on the disc lists the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 mix as Dolby Digital 5.1.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You know you've got 30 minutes to edit a post, right ?

24. MikeT

Yes. And I often do. Someone, though, already liked my post and another post was already made after my post. I felt my edit might be missed otherwise, so I created a new post. Is that OK? ;)

lukpac likes this.
  25. granola

granola Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.