How much should I invest in a portable booth for recording vocals?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Thier, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Thier

Big Thier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok so as some of you know I make hip-hop music and I record my rap vocals. I'm thinking of building my own recording set-up. There's some websites that sell pre-made booths that you order and receive and then set up - anyway anyone knows a good one? Would this kind of booth do a good enough job? And there are other people in the block so I wanna know if a booth would make it alright to record relatively loud rap vocals without disturbing the neighbors. Thanks!

2. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Get a couple of Gik acoustic panels and knock yourself out! :D

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Rent Headley Grange. Well, it worked for Led Zeppelin...!

4. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

What's wrong with the bathroom?

5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

A lot of people I know (radio biz, voiceover work) make recording rooms out of their closets. You really don't need a lot of space, or money either.

Egg-crates, a good mic, and decent hookup to your comp (recording/editing software/decent soundcard) and there ya go.

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Whatever you do 96/24 or more please. Spread the word!

7. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

8. Big Thier

I can't just record in my closet though. First of all I'm not even sure that's a good idea sound-wise, but also I absolutely need isolation not to piss off the neighbors.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Joe Meek did alright boarding up the windows in his bathroom to record vocals , used egg boxes/old coats for sound padding .. Not pretty, but pretty cheap + effective for 50s recordings.

10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

11. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Musicians soon will be asking "How many Spotify plays will I need to pay for this $4K vocal booth"?

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

13. aroney

You may be over-thinking it a bit. Keep in mind you should be using a mic that isn't going to pick-up any background noise to begin with. You only need about a phone booth (remember those? :D) worth of space. The actual recording equipment shouldn't be in the recording space anyway. And isolating the sound from your neighbors isn't that difficult - egg crates do work, and other padded foam material does too. I know numerous people, self included, who use these home "studios" and put out very professional product - stuff you hear nationally and internationally. They didn't pay 4 - 6 grand either.

I'll take a photo of a recording booth I've used for some voice-over work for some video projects. It's actually a phone-booth sized room inside a garage. At the time, they didn't have any room inside the studio and editing area. The results are solid though. I should be back there next week sometime.

The days of having to go to a big professional studio for single voice recording are long gone.

14. aroney

A lot. Reverberation, reflection, just plain noise...

15. Big Thier

What about turning a somewhat big closet into a booth with acoustic foam. Neighbors would still hear though.

16. Big Thier

Guess I could build something like this:

17. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Many songs have used one precisely because of the reverb. Crap, Jonathan richman recorded an entire album in one.

18. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Good call, I will add to this to get a Shure SM7B microphone. A great microphone, used for all kinds of styles, rap, rock, you know it. You just need a mic pre with enough gain...but yes som GIK acoustic panels will help tremendously!

19. aroney

Uh, yes, I know. But you want to be able to control it...not have it in every track because it's inherent in the recording space.

20. Big Thier

Please don't forget the picture, it sounds interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.