King Crimson - "Starless - Live in Europe" box set confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

There is nothing with Jamie Muir in the new boxset....

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I'm all in for this!

3. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Unless I've misunderstood, are you saying you've heard 'as-yet-unreleased performances' from among these soundboard tapes? Are you able to elaborate?

4. The Road To Red, The Great Deceiver, The Night Watch, Live In Mainz 3-30-1974 (KCCC), Live In Asbury Park 6-28-1974 (KCCC). That's nearly 30 discs of live 1973-74 King Crimson already, more than enough for me. I'll pass. When are they going to focus on another era? Original 1969 line up, 1981-1984, mid 90s?

5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The 1969 lineup HAS been focused on with a boxed set. ALL lineups have been focused on in the collectors' club. The only stuff I'd like to see get wider distribution for the Discipline lineup would be the Savoy dates. They're focusing on the BEST stuff here, as they should.

WillieMojo likes this.
  6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Gotta admit....

I've always loved bootlegs and/or soundboard tapes from the band....but the multitracks are the way to go.

From the RtoR box....those are easily the best IMO. I mean...well duh, they're multis for goodness sakes ! Even though a good bit of that had been previously released on The Great Deceiver boxset.

I found much of the 'boots'..or plain soundboards from RtoR a bit disappointing in sound. Being cassettes and all..but the balances were less than exemplary.

We'll see how this new set of shows sound. Not sure how many might be multitracks.

7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, I realised that too. Made an one year error... so excited.

8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think the reels were recorded at 7.5 ips rather than 3.75 ips, and you mention one reason why: at 7.5 the reels run 48 minutes, at 3.75 96 minutes. There would be few if any instances of the reel running out if they were recorded at 3.75; also, they sound better than 3.75 would sound.

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  9. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

For me too. Been waiting for this one. :righton:

old school likes this.
  10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Not sure I have so much already from that period, Passed on te red box will pass on this I think

11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Just listened to the DVD-A of USA last night. What an amazing band. I will take whatever they want to throw our way.

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

You should have called them and cried like a little girl. Those of us that did got the price honored. :)

DesertChaos likes this.
  13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Jamie Muir was gone by this tour. All of that recorded material was covered on the Larks' Tongues box set.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I tried this numerous times along with various other methods to get them to honor my pre-order.

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Interesting. The regular customer service reps would give people a hard time, so you had to get a supervisor to do it. They did it with no problems. It worked for a bunch of people around here.

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, we've been through this all already. I spoke with supervisors twice. Creative liars. Keep rubbing it in why don't ya...

ti-triodes likes this.
  17. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I listened to a couple of the 1973 shows from the collectors club. I don't remember which ones. I do like the one from Richard's in Atlanta, the other one I listened to was one of the European ones from fall 1973? Sound quality is actually very good, the European show especially, though I don't know if any of these are the "blue" tapes. I am a pretty dame big fan of King Crimson, and have been since the first album, getting it when it first came out. I am sure there are much bigger fans than me though. I do have to say that I understand that a good bit of the shows are improvisations and I enjoy listening to them a lot I am not sure I can properly digest like 20-30 shows. Unlike for example the Grateful Dead improvs there is not a lot that really sticks in my head that makes me say "yeah, that show from Bremen is the one I want to listen to". there are some slight variations in the set list which makes one show more desirable than another but it is going to be a lot of music here. I am sure I will pick this up, one way or another but am not sure I will be able to do it justice, listening wise.

jukes likes this.
  18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Automatic purchase. However, at this point I think I've heard "Easy Money" more than enough times. The somewhat limited repetoire is perhaps the downside of this series.

(Wasn't the Jamie Muir "solo" version of Easy Money on the LTIA box refreshing?)

Zongadude likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought the same thing. 3.75ips recordings do not sound good or professional at all.

20. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Limited repertoire or not, considering the never-the-same-way-once approach of my favourite KC line-up this is surely going to be a treat!

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

These boxes make me happy I don't do downloads :)

calgary669 likes this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm always impressed by how they're able to vary the mood on Easy Money--sometimes it's hard and heavy, other times it's loose and funky and there are usually some surprises in the spaced out middle section. By comparison, a track like Exiles was fairly static from night to night.

Quincy likes this.
  23. Schizoid_Man

Schizoid_Man New Member

you know what?

I wonder if this new set will include an updated version of the Amsterdam Concertgebouw performance (AKA "The Night Watch" - released 1998) from 11-23-73 with the FULL FULL FULL COMPLETE recording of the "improv" that eventually became the track entitled "Starless & Bible Black"

........if you guys remember from the booklet that accompanied the original Night Watch 2-disk set, David Singleton clearly states that THAT particular improv was "edited due to the constraints of vinyl" and others have mentioned to me personally that "S&BB" originally ran about 15+ minutes, as opposed to the 9" version we all know and love on both the official album AND the 1998 re-release.

Also, I own a show called "Avignon 3-24-1974" which is obviously NOT 1974, but is probably LATE November 1973, I'd say.........somewhere between Rome/Turin on the 12th/13th of November and the final show in (I think?) Spain during that late 1973 tour, also November.......{sorry, don't have the tour date list in front of me at the moment :(........}

.......does anyone out there know about this one?

24. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I've also heard that rumor, as quasi-substantiated by Singleton. unfortunately, quasi is as good as it gets for now--most of the various 'dutch imports' (pun totally intended) of the concertgebouw show are from tapes of a radio simulcast that didn't cover the portion of the show with the first improv. the lone alternately-sourced unauthorized recording I know of inconveniently edits out the improvs altogether in order to fit on a single LP (and/or to appeal to those looking for more familiar fare). so, no help from the underground.

if it's true, though, the full version should be on the box, which is intended to contain direct transcriptions of the blue tapes.

I'm guessing the reason you doubt you're hearing the 24 march '74 show (which was in avignon, at the palais Paul Videl) is because the setlist doesn't match up with what you'd expect given the time period. are they still playing 'schizoid man' and the bits from poseidon, but no 'dr diamond?'

if so, those cagey dutch didn't fool you with their poorly-researched imports. there's a recording of the 19 november '73 show (at the salle pleyel, paris) floating around mislabeled as the avignon show. both will be on the box as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

If I'm not mistaken, that concert also started out with "Lark's Tongues In Aspic, Part 1", which was not included on The Night Watch either, so hopefully that will get restored too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.