Twilight Time Entertainment to reissue 5 sold-out limited edition blu-ray titles in 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

How and when can I get the new Journey To The Center Of The Earth blu Ray, is there a pre release buy? I don't see it anywhere yet. I don't want to miss out if this is a resto.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" Journey to the Center of the Earth is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Twilight Time with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 2.34:1. When Journey came to the then technologically "amazing" laserdisc format around 1990, it was evidently discovered that the original negative had deteriorated to such a point that it couldn't be used for what would have then been a state of the art transfer. Apparently at that time new intermediary elements were created which may still be in use today, according to information passed on to me from Twilight Time's Nick Redman. The results, while not completely staggering, are very good and should please ardent videophiles who bring appropriate expectations. The colors here are still quite robust a lot of the time, though flesh tones, while generally very accurate looking, are just slightly pallid in some of the opening scenes. The ubiquitous purples and reds are still vivid and extremely impressive. The elements here are in surprisingly good shape, with very little damage or blemishing to report. As with most of the Fox HD masters that have been provided to Twilight Time by the studio, there doesn't appear to have been any drastic DNR applied to this release, so grain is intact (and quite apparent in some of the opticals, as should be expected), though edge enhancement is also quite noticeable in several sequences. The image is generally just a bit on the soft side, especially with regard to midrange shots, though fine detail pops quite nicely in close-ups. While the overall presentation here is decently sharp and detailed, it's not quite up to modern day standards for what a top tier catalogue release should look like, no doubt due largely to the elements that Fox was forced to use. "

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-Earth-Blu-ray/39539/#Review

3. Myke

Well, I'd say keep an eye out for threads here, and at Blu ray.com. Subscribing to threads and newsletters helps also.

SAE : http://www.screenarchives.com/

Blu-ray.com Twilight Time Thread : http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=182882

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

@MYKE - Thanks for the review. Interesting, though it doesn't quite make sense.

It says: "[...] not quite up to modern day standards for what a top tier catalogue release should look like, no doubt due largely to the elements that Fox was forced to use."

The restoration stuff on the DVD says, in part: "...superior results were achieved by manufacturing a new 35mm negative from one of the existing preservation elements, a set of B&W YCM silver separation masters from 1959." Those would of course be owned by Fox, so Fox would not be "forced" to use an element made from the shot neg in the late '80s. Did they mean Twilight Time was unable to use the elements the DVD was sourced from?

5. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

As I stated in my original post, these reissues won't take place until 2015, so there's at least another 5 months before the first of these reissues will be made available...plenty of time and I'll keep everyone apprised when specific titles are announced by Twilight Time at Screen Archives' website and when pre-order dates will take place...I'll bump this thread as soon as I have any firm information!!!:wave:

6. Myke

Life is good. Guy on eBay just put out a sealed copy...$ 57.98 inc. First Class shipping via USPS, I now have my 9th Twilight Time title. say that seven times fast.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  7. A number of the transfers that Fox has provided Twilight Time are a bit dated when you compare them against a 2014 film scan. They've ranged from mediocre to good, though rarely have they been perfect. A transfer struck for DVD a few years ago can stick out like a sore thumb, depending on the extant film elements.

8. That's about the best it's going to look for Journey. I doubt Fox will spend the additional $$ for a full restoration.

9. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to Twilight Time co-owner Nick Redmond at Home Theater Forum, the money's ALREADY been spent for a full-blown 4k restoration by Fox's Schawn Belston...that transfer's being released in the 2015 reissue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.