Mini Shelf System: Yamaha MCR B142 vs. Denon D-M39S

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dead of night, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi, both these systems have good reviews and ratings on Amazon. Can anyone offer any opinions, facts, and insights about which system is better

I am looking for great, non-fatiguing sound quality, ease of use, build quality, excellent FM reception, and reliability,

Thanks.

2. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

My girlfriend bought a D-M39DAB a few weeks ago; she paid £158 for it new, without speakers. Hearing it demonstrated with several different speakers in the shop, she formed a definite preference for the sound of it through Dali Zensor 1s (£200) compared with the Q Acoustics 2010is (£130) she heard it through initially. Now, I know it's not all about the cost, but I was quite encouraged that the Denon seemed good enough to respond positively to more expensive speakers. It seems like quite a solid little lump, nicely presented for the price, and we had no problems plugging an iPod into it to use as an internet radio source.

Here's a What Hi-Fi? review that seems to like it: http://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m39dab/review

3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, now we here in the US, can only get it with the speakers that come with it. I wonder how good they are?

I'd order just the unit fro Britain, but I think yours comes with a different radio, made for European stations.

4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I just bought the Denon D-M39S last week from Crutchfield. The sound quality is incredible! It's also very versatile, as I can connect my iPhone 5 via USB and control it with the remote. The album info, etc. appears on the display. I also have an Apple TV connected via the optical input.

5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Not one of the ones listed here, so a bit of a tangent if you'll allow it. I saw these systems when searching for one for my mother and eventually got a Yamaha CRX-332BL. Got it because it doesn't come with speakers, which I already had. Form factor is very nice and versatile, and sound is good if a bit dark. (Might not be tuned for the Pioneer SP BS-21 speakers though.)

It's new, so I can't speak to it's reliability. Just another system to perhaps consider in this segment.

dead of night likes this.
  6. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

My buddy recently bought the Denon and loves it - I heard it the other day and was quite impressed for what it is and for it's size, specs, etc.

7. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I'd be willing to bet that the standard Denon speakers aren't too shabby, presuming you get the same ones in your country. The WHF? review says of them:

The UK model is the D-M39DAB (DAB being our digital radio system here) so, yes, I guess a US D-M39S would have a different tuner, and also the UK version might not run on US voltages.

dead of night likes this.
  8. everton

everton Forum Resident

I don't know about the current speakers that come with the Denon. But the previous versions (D38, D37, etc.) came with speakers that were built by Mission.

9. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I was looking for something like this recently - after some listening, I ended up with the Onkyo CR-N755 - I traded DAB for internet radio.

Some of the best sounds I've had at home, seriously. If possible, consider this one as well.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.