Elvis: That's The Way It Is Blu-ray Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Can't wait for that Eating Sequence!

aarsonbet likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

:laugh: IN HIGH DEF !!!!!

aarsonbet likes this.
  3. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Loads of BURGERS ... just a bit of film with EP and the band singing CRYING TIME over said clip,as they take a break in rehearsals.

He spent an age rehearsing STRANGER IN THE CROWD ... sung it once (live) and never sung it again.

From this very FTD CD ... http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftd_review_wonder_of_you.html

Myke likes this.
  4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Having Fun with Elvis with a Mouthful.

crimpies likes this.
  5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Even with a mouth full of food, the guy could still sing his face off! :)

GroovinGarrett and Mr. H like this.
  7. Myke

8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The WB reps' interview in post #75 sounded pretty promising, but according to the review that ClausH posted, it is just the 2001 version of the movie that is in HD. It says that even the other material that is on the blu-ray disc is only in SD.

That seems pretty weird, especially after the quotes such as "On DVD, the outtakes were presented in abysmal quality, but on Blu-ray, they will be pristine." I guess that quote meant it would be pristine SD, on Blu-ray. I'm not sure what the point of that is since the outtakes are supposed to be on the DVD as well (again, in SD of course).

9. Myke

Yeah, I read that fast yesterday, as I was busy. Well, after waiting 4 months since I preordered, and selling my SE DVD back then, I guess this'll have to do.

It is a damn stupid way to handle what should be a very important HD release.

heatherly and GroovinGarrett like this.
  10. GroovinGarrett

Not surprised, but still disappointed. It's as if the Estate and/or WB want the SE to be THE definitive article, and to hell with the original.

We could debate this sort of thing for days, that's what we do. No original mono soundtrack on the EOT blu, etc.

11. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

The box set and Legacy Edition are both being released in the UK, but I can't find the Blu-ray available on Amazon UK. Surely it is getting a UK release, given that the UK is a strong market for Elvis?

12. Myke

Blu-ray.com's review makes me feel better. 4.5 for the lossless audio !!!

" Elvis: That's the Way It Is was originally released in four-track stereo, but the "reconstructed" version received a full-blown 5.1 remix based on the original sixteen-track masters. That mix is provided on Blu-ray in lossless DTS-HD MA, and it sounds amazing. In the "Patch It Up" documentary, it's noted that the musicians in Elvis' band heard sonic details in the remix that they had never been able to make out before, and I have no doubt that the same level of detail is present on the Blu-ray. The sense of presence is constant, whether in the informal space of the studio or in the recesses of the International Hotel Showroom. James Burton's lead guitar solos are just as vivid as Elvis' vocals. The latter, of course, switches effortlessly from soulful country-western to raucous rock 'n' roll, with every variation in between. (If you've never heard Elvis' cover of "Bridge over Troubled Waters", you should; it'll change your perception of the song.) The 5.1 remix remains faithful to the original stereo arrangement by staying largely in front, using the surrounds to create a sense of depth but nothing more. It's an excellent concert reproduction. "

FULL Review : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Elvis-Thats-the-Way-It-Is-Blu-ray/101642/#Review

13. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

It looks like it will be a great release!

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

It'll have to be, what with me selling the SE DVD 4 months ago. :doh:

JLGB, Mr. H and mrstats like this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Totally a missed opportunity about the original theatrical release, though. I cancelled my preorder and I will be content with the new box until the reviews roll in telling me it's a must have.

16. Myke

Yeah, with only the 2000 SE appearing in 1080p / DTS lossless, plus you getting the box, with the DVD, you can live without the Blu ray, no problem.

Mr. H likes this.
  17. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Well, half a waste at least.

Will pick this up long before I even think about spending money on EOT, though...

19. Myke

Ummm, yeah...

artfromtex and Rick H. like this.
  20. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Oooops....I'm watching this thread but it isn't keeping me in the loop.

artfromtex and Myke like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I've been in need of a Blu Ray player that does DTS-HD since my 40GB PS3 doesn't do that. :realmad:

I really trust the blu-ray.com reviews and it sounds like the sound on this one is worth getting.

Myke likes this.
  22. Myke

I love my Oppo 103, $500.00, plays every disc known to man, and even upscales the video of DVDs !!!

artfromtex likes this.
  23. GroovinGarrett

So the original film was in "four-track stereo"? The DVD was in center channel 1.0 mono. Were any of the VHS/Beta/LD releases in stereo?

24. GroovinGarrett

From what I'm reading on the Elvis Collectors board from a few people who have early copies, the outtakes aren't even pristine SD. They're exactly the same poor quality as the 2007 DVD. And "Get Back" is not included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.