Films you couldn't bear to finish watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Everyone probably has a movie that they just couldnt stomach watching to completion. Whether it was too scary, too stupid, too intense or just too damn lousy. What film have you just had to turn off and leave unfinished?

Mine? Tonight I watched "Million Dollar Baby" for the first time. I know its a few years old, but I just never got around to seeing it and, as I have a lot of respect for Clint Eastwood and his latest films, I rented it tonight. Well, without giving any spoilers, when the "tragedy" hit, I watched about another 15 minutes and then had to turn it off. What started off a a nice little sports film suddenly turned into a horror story from the pages of the Daily News. Bleech. Just too much of a downer to make me want to finish watching it. It made "Brian's Song" feel like "The Sound of Music" in comparison. Hospitals in general depress me and I just couldn't go on watching this one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Pete Puma and Vidiot like this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Manipulative and pandering, that one.

kevinsinnott, Macman and Solaris like this.
  3. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Crash

Didn't care about the characters or the story. Stayed at least 1/3 of the way into it and walked out.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Actually I liked Million Dollar Baby a lot - great performances IMO.

But with Transcendence, I couldn't make it halfway - really, really stupid.
    Also Prometheus, for the same reason.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Well-Known Member

12 YEARS A SLAVE. Too many scenes of dull pretentious staring into nothing by Chiwetel Ejiofor and a story filled with one cliche after another. Get me outta here!

6. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Noah
    The Ghastly Ones
    Soldier Blue
    The Hotel New Hampshire
    Moulin Rouge
    Dogville

7. Which one, the David Cronenberg or Paul Haggis version? Both have their share of enemies.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Human Centipede

Vidiot and mj_patrick like this.
  9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

The English Patient (before Elaine Benez) and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I must hate myself. I nearly always hold out until the bitter end.

The only movie I recall walking out on was The Slugger's Wife, and that was because I was with my grandmother who thought it was far too smutty.

I remember now!

Lake of Fire.

I saw this during a hot summer in a highly conservative city, and after about thirty minutes, a creepy guy entered the theater with a trench coat. He kept his hand inside the coat and simply stood at the back of the theater. After he stood there about ten minutes, the guy worried me, and I decided to leave.

I guess he didn't shoot up the place, or else I would have seen that on the news, but the man gave me an evil vibe.

So, nothing to do with the movie, then, aside from the subject matter perhaps making me a bit more cautious than I need have been...

If the aforementioned Crash wasn't up for so many Oscars, I might have abandoned it, especially after the kid/gun scene (vague enough not to spoil). I was watching it on video the day of the ceremony, and it was the only one I needed to see to have caught all the nominees in the major categories.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

mikeyt likes this.
  11. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The Romeo & Juliet with DiCaprio
    Moulin Rouge
    The Big Chill
    Inland Empire (I may have made it through this one, but can't totally remember)

Afternoon Delight (I did finish this one, but the ending was so bad that I wish I hadn't)

12. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Paul Haggis.

Another vote for Dogvlle, plus Moulin Rouge and Napoleon Dynamite (all on DVD)

13. When Ewan Macgregor started singing "The Sound of Music" I was ready to put on my coat and hit the exit, but I stuck around and was ultimately glad I did. Not a fantastic movie, but an entertaining enough piece of excessiveness.

I've never actually walked out of a movie, but a couple of other ones where I almost walked but stuck around to see how bad they could get were Highway of Heartache and Four Rooms. The latter was a particular letdown given the talent involved,but I guess they were all on autopilot or drugs or something.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think the only film I ever walked out on in the theater was Wildcats with Goldie Hawn when I was in high school. But that was because my date wanted to go make out, so...

I have since turned off many movies that I was watching at home, too many to count really. I find that I have far less patience when watching at home seeing as how I didn't just plunk down $25 for my wife and I to watch something there...

15. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Freaks
    Twister
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Godzilla...w/M. Broderick

16. Avatar: Juvenile, pretentious, overrated crap.
    Black Swan: What the hell was that?
    A Serbian Film: For obvious reasons.

17. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

The only two movies I can remember not finishing are Do The Right Thing, and Summer of Sam. Was just completely bored by both.

18. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Slumdog Millionaire

19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I can't watch "Black Hawk Down".

20. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

For some inexplicable reason Spike Lee has beautiful, natural endings in his films and decides to plow on for another half hour or so past that point.

Atmospheric likes this.
  21. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

A recent one for me was "Before Midnight" with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. The non-stop dialogue and ultra-irritating characters meant I couldn't watch for more than 15 minutes.

22. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Too many to list and most titles I can't remember. I do remember saying to myself 'Glad I didn't pay to see that movie' many, many times.

Vidiot and junk like this.
  23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

"Moonrise Kingdom" was the most recent one for me.

24. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I may have forgotten a few, but these are films I paid to see at the theater and walked out on:

Hardly Working
    Jaws 3-D
    Ernest Goes To Camp
    Mr. Saturday Night
    Primary Colors
    Traffic
    Rocky and Bullwinkle

25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Alphaville.
    I know, it's supposed to be a classic and revered by many a film maker, artist and aficionado, but I just can't tolerate that guy's voice.

If ever there was a case for dubbing a classic avant garde French film, this would be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.