Records, LP's or Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Om, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

What about 8 Track and Cassette. The emergence of those formats coincided with radio Djs referring to Long Playing Records as Albums to cover all formats. It then graduated to CD with the assumption that other formats such as LP and Cassette were dead. Not heard anyone refer to a bands new release as their 'latest file/download' yet.

Always called them Records as I almost exclusively purchased the black vinyl discs until the early 90's. Even a CD is a record to me - record(ing) on a digital format. However I have been slipping into using 'Vinyl' in recent years since that has become the common terminology to distinguish the LP record from digital formats. Voted Records.

2. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

We just have to convince A. Partridge to release his Fuzzy Warbles on vinyl

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

When I was growing up and collecting, we always called a vinyl LP an "album" (and also "record"). If someone said they got a new album it always meant the vinyl disk. 8-track and cassette tapes were always called "tape," or by their more specific format. But you bought albums from a "record store." That was for where I live. Elsewhere it might be different. In any case, I have always called my collection the "album collection," as does my wife.

4. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I always say "Albums"

5. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I have Records and they are either Albums, Singles or EPs
    couldn't be much simpler

6. missan

missan Forum Resident

LPs, EPs or Singles even here in Sweden.

7. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

My record collection consists of vinyl records, CD's and stuff recorded onto cassettes. There you have it.

8. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I collect RECORDS and they are nearly all LPs;)

9. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I think of "vinyls" as the hot new fad.... I am an old time "record" buyer and collector with most of the "LP's" from my favorite artists.

I'm not sure why the resurgence of vinyl analog records needed a new name "Vinyl". What was wrong with "records" for all those years? You buy vinyl at records stores not vinyl stores even today.

10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

My late friend "Randy the collector" from the Bronx called them "Rekkids"

bxbluesman likes this.
  11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I think of them as records first, LP's second, and vinyl only on internet forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.