What's Your Musical "Lame Claim to Fame"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Jul 25, 2014.

1. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Nice. Nick is a terrific guy, I've known him since he was a pre-teen. He put on a "lip synch" concert to Kiss music, with three other guys all in full makeup etc....I think I was 14, he was 11. He always wanted to be a singer, it's great to see that he got his wish.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

He seems to be. Invited me to his studio one night when I was visiting Southern Ont. but I got lost trying to get there and never made it. He is an amazing vocalist that deserves success.
    Have you heard his Famous Underground disc?

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

My family was staying at a Holiday Inn in Bellevue, Washington during the summer of 1970. Rick Nelson (plus a few embers the Stone Canyon Band) were hanging out at the swimming pool as I practiced cannonballs off the diving board.

Ko-Ko Joe and jeffd7030 like this.
  4. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Stephen McCarthy of the Long Ryders adn Bob Rupe of Cracker painted my house 3 years ago. My wife had to remind me to stop bothering them about telling rock and roll stories! They're both great guys!

jeffd7030, manicpopthrill and JL6161 like this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I was somewhere on that field, and in Chral Club that year. Good to see Clyde Dengler, Jr., our choral director in that footage.

Harry

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm internet friends with a guy who used to play bass for a cult 80s/90s alternative band, and another guy who is a big time country music producer.

I can't mention their names as they are both banned members of this forum, lol.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i met frank black once while checking out of a hotel. we talked about thurston moore.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hmmmmmm........

andrewskyDE and Picca like this.
  9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Ok...after 10 pages I'm starting to get the thread's meaning...
    I've sipped a coffee next to Ronnie James Dio
    I've sold some records to Perry Farrell (I've been working in a record shop)
    I gave a 45 rpm that I've recorded when I was fifteen to Roger McGuinn (He told me 'I'll never listen to it' and I've responded 'I don't really care')
    John Hammond Jr. wanted to buy my acoustic guitar
    Once I had dinner with some people. We were talking about west coast sixties music and the guy next to me was telling me that he once jammed with the Grateful Dead. He was Terry Cox drummer with Pentangle.
    I went to an after-show with Joe Ely and his very drunk (and late) guitar player Jesse Taylor got naked in the pizzeria. his bassist was Glenn Fukunaga who told me a lot of things about his session (Series Of Dreams) with Bob Dylan.
    I had dinner with an unknown band called Fish Heads & Rice whose guitar player happened to be Gary Talley, in the sixties with Alex Chilton's Box Tops.
    I've worked as a 'local roadie' and I've been once assigned to Fleetwood Mac's backstage (the Rick Vito/Burnette line up) and I've spied the girl's wardrobes. Stevie Nicks's one was full of mignon bottles of Champagne.
    Always as a 'local roadie' i've been forced to carry an enormous reversed black cross on stage for a Black Sabbath show (Tony Martin years). But I shook hands with Cozy Powell.
    ...oh: and Benmont Tench once told me to F**k Off.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I once joined an internet forum run by a professional mastering engineer.

11. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

My dad was in The Quarrymen... maybe you've heard of them? nah, j/k. lol

My mom and aunt were good friends with alto saxophonist Greg Abate. They'd play and often walk to school together. When I met Greg last year, he still remembered them very well.

I also seem to recall that my wife's aunt went to school with Joe Perry of Aerosmith?

My daughter made funny faces at Al Jardine during the 50th anniversary reunion tour in Boston from the second row. He made a funny face back.

I've shaken the hand of two people who have played with Charlie Parker: Phil Woods and Roy Haynes. That's like a second-hand handshake with God himself.

That's all I got.

12. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, he sounds great, and the band is tight. Unfortunately, not my type of music so I can't review it properly, lol.

celticbob likes this.
  13. drumtalking

drumtalking Member

While in high school, I played in a band that opened for the Doors at the Fillmore Auditorium in January 1967.

andrewskyDE, Dave and teebo911 like this.
  14. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I think I was at that Mondale rally myself...at JFK Plaza, right? Forgot all about it until I saw your post. Did Stills sing Change Partners?

15. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

From what I understand, it was Fleagle who got all the action. Drooper, not so much.

16. RichNY

RichNY Forum Resident

Was this Downingwood in Irvington? If so, I live in Dobbs Ferry and in the late seventies we used to ride our bikes up there and look for Ace. We knew he had the yellow Corvette and saw that, but never saw him. He did get arrested in Dobbs Ferry for a DUI once around that time. Fun fact-He was wearing two different color sneakers at the time.
    My earlier post in this thread was about Ross the Boss from Manowar and he lived in the same place in the '80's.

17. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I Forget what Stills sang but I remember BB King played also. JFK Plaza

18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My wife and I were standing in line for Hairspray with Harvey Firestone on Broadway a few years ago (she really wanted to see a show and my brother got us house seats) when a large black SUV stopped in the street next to us. A man jumped out of the passenger seat that I immediately recognized as Billy Joel. As he came to the sidewalk between two parked cars my wife stood right in his way with her back to him. I said, "Tish, step aside for Mr. Joel there." He smiled and said thank you.

He then proceeded to the rear of the line we were standing briefly before a door opened and someone said, "Bill! Come on. You don't need to wait in line." He went in and I figured that was that. Pretty cool though.

As it turned out, when we got to our seats (which were front and center compliments of my brother) we were merely a few seats from where Billy was sitting. He graciously greeted the excited people around him before the show and during intermission. I never knew much about him personally but he struck me as a pretty cool guy that night. Whatever off color story about him I may hear, that I will always remember.

MungoMusic, Simon A and D.B. like this.
  19. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

wrappedinsky and Tropehjelm like this.
  20. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of decades ago -- I looked (at the time) remarkably similar to Andy Partridge (I was - and am- a big XTC fan, but the look was coincidental -- same basic hair cut, brown/blond hair, same chin and round glasses -- probably a million guys look like that.). Some clerk at a gas station said "do you know who you look like?" and I was surprised somebody actually would make that connection. Do I win for lamest post?

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I will stretch the line a little thinner and say I have received two PM's from band members on this forum as the result of posts in a thread about their bands.

22. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

What bands?

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Now that's an event that needs its own T-shirt! :laugh:

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

One was from Bobby Whitlock during the famous Derek and the Domino thread about six years ago. The other was from a gentlemen named Andy who fronted a band I inquired about through a thread called Jarvis Humby.

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Ok. I don't know of either of them. Either I'm lame, or it reinforces your lameness. ;)

wrappedinsky likes this.