I like Tom Cruise. There, I've said it.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Andrew!

2. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

You're welcome, Michael!

It's funny to see the R rated version, now, having owned the UK dvd and NA Blu-ray disc. It was playing on one of the movie channels we get, which advertises their movies as 'uncut and commercial free.' It was the R rated version. I suppose an argument could be made that is still uncut, but it is certainly censored.

3. People, not everyone in a grey uniform is a Nazi, not even in Hollywood movies:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_Schenk_Graf_von_Stauffenberg

Rachael Bee likes this.
  4. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've got the old snapper 4:3 'R' rated DVD, the Kubrick collection widescreen 'R' rated DVD, and the Kubrick collection unrated Blu-ray. The 'obi' on the Blu-ray set states that only the Unrated version is on the disc, but that the movie had previously been rated 'R' for sexual scenes, etc.

EYES WIDE SHUT is one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies.

Harry

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Obviously, Stauffenberg was reluctant, well, a traitorous Nazi. I read up on him after seeing the movie. I've also seen a German movie about the White Rose resistance group. Resistance was darn near futile. Who knows what would of happened if Stauffenberg's second bomb had boom-boomed....???

I'm not a Cruise-hater but I did not like him as Stauffenberg. I liked the movie despite him.

7. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Interesting. My Blu-ray disc reads: "Digitally Remastered Movie Selectable in Both Rated and - for the First Time in North America - Unrated Versions" But only the unrated version is available, as far as I can tell. Same goes for the UK version I got with the Visionary Filmmakers Collection. They actually appear to be the same disc, despite different artwork.

And, yeah, I bought the UK snapper to avoid the censoring of the NA DVD, but it bugs me because the spine looks out of place with the rest of the NA collection.

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

9. No, he was not a Nazi! That's the point!

10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

There, he said it.

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow, I thought it was a fun film and showed more black-comedy chops than you usually see in a summer tentpole film. I think the big mistake was the marketing campaign which got the tone completely wrong. The initial trailers made it look dark and depressing when in actuality it was quite a fun ride and had some very effective humorous sequences. I think if they had highlighted those aspects in the trailer instead of going for somber/moody more people might have gone to see it in the theater.

JohnG likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Well, I'm sure he had to act like one for years to fit in. That's all I mean.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Agree complety, it had a very breezy pleasant tone despite the hardships of fighting an alien presence. One of the best movies of the year.

14. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Great news abaout another Reacher movie! And I liked Edge of Tomorrow also. It was much better than I thought it would be.

15. Cruise is an exceptional actor. His performance in Magnolia is quite something....

"Respect the ####! And tame the ####! Tame it! Take it on headfirst with the skills that I will teach you at work and say no! You will not control me! No! You will not take my soul! No! You will not win this game! Because it's a game, guys. You want to think it's not, huh? You want to think it's not? Go back to the schoolyard and you have that crush on ########## Mary Jane."

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I didn't know that you knew him. How long have you been friends? What did he do to you that pushed you away from him? Please give us insight into Tom as a person vs what the media "wants" us to know.

17. With all due respect Sam, if you had read the entire thread you would see that I later retracted my comments. See post #47.

somnar likes this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I see that now that you pointed it out. But with all due respect, who reads through every post on a thread this long? All my best.

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought most Tom Cruise movies were must sees back in the day but he is a one trick pony with all these action movies. He is some sort of agent or at least some guy that is allowed to carry a gun in practically every movie he has done for the past 15 years. It's the same movie over and over again.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

22. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I've liked him a lot in a few things, particularly Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut. Beyond that, eh.

His personal shenanigans - the ones that he's made a point of putting on public display - make it hard for me to watch the guy's work though. My loss, I guess.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dude must be doing something right,the moviegoers just lap him up. :)

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I liked it too

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I have posted on my own website that the finest movie ever made in Hollywood is:

Top Gun

I'm only half kidding. :D

I've liked Cruise in many of his films but more recently where he's gone badass than the Risky Business days. Top Gun is simply the culmination of the Tom Cruise experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.