OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I suggest we wait for James to confirm whether his home router does or does not have wireless capability (regardless of whether he has it enabled).

SamS likes this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Any update?

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

What's the easiest way to get a BDP-103 to play Region 2 DVD's in the US?

4. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

A new unit is being shipped. I sent the other one back - it was defective.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Sounds good.

6. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Use the Super disc software mod linked here (scroll down).

7. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

The replacement 105 arrived today. Sounds great out of the box. If my experience with the 103 holds true it will sound even better in a few weeks. I also want to plug Crutchfield for great customer service dealing with the replacement.

Millington and tmtomh like this.
  8. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

I did a search, but didn't see any mention of this so far. I just came across the Vanity HD HDMI mod for the Oppo 103, which splits the signal into 4 S/PDIF streams, to send out to DACs of your choice, such as the Trinnov room correction systems. Seems very intriguing.
    http://www.audiopraise.com/vanityhd/overview.php

9. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thank you so much for that and then some ...

10. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

You're welcome. :)

11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Thanks everyone, this was a lot of help. My router does not have wireless capability. So there is no way for me to have WLAN at home.

My iPad is wi-fi with a cellular service. When I connect to the internet at home on my iPad, I do it through the cellular service.
    I did try connecting the Ethernet cable to the Oppo, then the Oppo wireless dongle, but the iPad didn't recognize that... So the iPad needs a home network to recognize and enter is my guess.
    What I will do is bring my laptop home, plug both that and the Oppo in and see what happens.

I bought the Modwright Oppo 105D as a pure SACD/CD player. And maybe for plugging in music files on a USB stick. That was it. I'm starting to think I just might be underutilizing this device a tad.

I'm starting to think though that it might just be time, given the world class Blu Ray player I have sitting in my living room that it might, just might be time to get a plasma screen.... My first television since 2004 :) Wow.

tmtomh and Linger63 like this.
  12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

A thought - if you set up a personal hot spot on your iPad, could the Oppo communicate with it?

13. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Do you know how to setup port forwarding on your router? If you do, then you can use the iPad's cellular service to connect to the Oppo.

14. James_S888

You know, that just might work.
    I'll try that too :)

15. James_S888

I'll try that too and see how that works.
    I don't know, but Google makes everything possible these days.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sounds like a slippery slope, to me. Why not spend $50 on a wireless router (or use a wireless router as an WiFi access point hanging off your existing router) to set up WiFi at your house? That would allow for the OPPO control your looking to do, plus give your iPad free access to the internet, instead of using the cellular connection every time you get online with it.

LEONPROFF and tmtomh like this.
  17. James_S888

I know, I know. I just have a bit of a thing about having wireless in the house as well as everywhere else.
    We get irradiated enough with so much EMR of various sorts. Without adding to it in the apartment as well. At close range.
    I can always switch it off though when not using. Maybe I just bite the bullet and the WLAN box.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Every time you use your iPad's cellular service, you're getting bombarded anyways :)

LEONPROFF likes this.
  19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I understand that - I did turn on Wireless on my Netgear router when I first tried it ages ago (must be more than 10 years) but realized I did not need it so switched it off and use Ethernet cables. It is pretty convenient though, and I may look at it again if I want to have an iPad to control the Mac Mini. It's fairly conveniently located though, so I just go over and make a selection so I do not need remote control over WiFi.

20. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

I don't know much about streaming 5.1 audio from a computer, but I'd like to think that someday I'll be able to do that. Is this something the 105 can do now? I'm thinking of selling my beloved, but severely underused turntable to purchase the 105. I'm planning to mostly use my Squeezebox Touch to feed the 105 (music files on a computer in another room). I'm assuming that I don't need the Darbee model because video is not a priority, but I'd hate to miss out on future audio compatibility (e.g., streaming 5.1 audio or perhaps a dedicated computer using the asynchronous USB?). Any advice is appreciated!

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can stream multi-channel digital files using the player as a DLNA unit, from JRiver MC or similar. The 105D supports DSD via the rear asynchronous USB input, so if you're considering that in the future, it's probably worth the extra $100 over the standard 105.

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

True. You can stream mch files using DLNA from JRMC. You can also use the USB "B" connector on the rear for DSD but only in stereo.

OTOH, you can stream DSD and PCM in both stereo and mch via SMB using the network app in the 105 or 105D.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Is the 103 capable of the same streaming?

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, via network connection. There is no asynchronous USB connection for direct connection to a computer.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Another tidbit - if you're content to have your music played back in 16/48 resolution, you can stream from iTunes to an AppleTV device, with its HDMI cable plugged into the 103's HDMI input. That will allow you to stream iTunes to your stereo using the 103's built-in DAC.

Apple's Airplay protocol will not do nice things to your high-res files - it's brute-force truncation - but honestly it still sounds pretty sweet if you're not doing super-critical listening.

Jerry Horne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.