Trent Reznor remasters Nine Inch Nails' 'Pretty Hate Machine' for November reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slicing Eyeballs, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

2. Dude, give it up.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

He's got KMFDM listed also and that can be confirmed

4. Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Dude, don't take it so personally. It just seemed like many around here wanted it to be a Diament despite the fact that he himself wasn't sure it was.

6. Oh, I'm not taking it personally in the least. I'm just not used to having to repeat myself so many times! ;)

Anyway, he seems to be sure of it given his repeated comments about mastering it over the years.

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Well, when first asked he wasn't sure at all. And I'm sure most people believe it BECAUSE it's been repeated so many times, now, despite the complete lack of evidence and documentation.

8. I don't have any reason to doubt Barry Diament's word. I'm sure that you know that he mastered tons of releases for TVT.

Seriously, why don't you just email him and ask him how he knows he mastered it? His answer should put your mind at ease.

9. contium

contium Forum Resident

I picked up the 2011 UMe vinyl. B0015767-01, HALO-02-V. Looking at the spectral analysis, it doesn't look like a CD master. Doesn't look filtered at 20KHz but its tough to see as there really isn't a lot going on at those frequencies. Doesn't sound like a CD pressed to vinyl either but the original CD was pretty good.

Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2014-04-26 15:37:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Nine Inch Nails / Pretty Hate Machine
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR        Peak        RMS    Duration Track
    DR14      -1.59 dB  -18.85 dB      4:58 01-Head Like A Hole
    DR13      -1.78 dB  -19.38 dB      4:40 02-Terrible Lie
    DR12      -5.88 dB  -19.85 dB      3:47 03-Down In It
    DR17      -3.55 dB  -24.54 dB      5:49 04-Sanctified
    DR13      -5.87 dB  -22.80 dB      5:51 05-Something I Can Never Have
    DR13      -4.08 dB  -21.04 dB      4:36 06-Kinda I Want To
    DR13      -4.29 dB  -20.12 dB      4:03 07-Sin
    DR14      -4.38 dB  -22.44 dB      4:30 08-That's What I Get
    DR15      -4.35 dB  -22.75 dB      4:48 09-The Only Time
    DR14      -5.83 dB  -22.73 dB      5:42 10-Ringfinger

Number of tracks:  10
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate:        96000 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:  24
    Bitrate:          4608 kbps
    Codec:            PCM
    ================================================================================

Side 1:
    [​IMG]

Side 2:
    [​IMG]

All looks and sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, the pressing quality on my copy is terrible. A few people have complained on Discogs as well about the pressing. I did clean it on my VPI RCM.

10. contium

contium Forum Resident

I stand corrected. Looked at the 2011 UMe B0015767-01, HALO-02-V and 1989 Island ILPS 9973 in Spek and the UMe. Some sort of high frequency filtering going on. The original pressing looks better.

2011 UMe B0015767-01, HALO-02-V. Ignore all the 40KHz, that's coming from my M-Audio Audiophile A/D. Time for a new one:

[​IMG]

1989 Island ILPS 9973 (Not my needledrop)

[​IMG]

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

First off, I hadn't played this classic album in many years. I found an old TDK cassette the other day in a drawer and there were no labels on it. Side A is NIN's Pretty Hate Machine and I thoroughly enjoyed it this morning on my old Sony boombox! Side two appears to be a mixtape in the true sense and I've only heard a couple songs so far (I think it is a soundtrack actually but didn't get a chance to listen closely yet).

I haven't read this thread yet, but what is the consensus on the SQ of the remaster? How are the bonus tracks?

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The CD remaster sounds horrible, stick with the original CD which is great.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I figured, but had to ask. Thanks.

14. The latest reissue of Pretty Hate Machine (the one with the original artwork) appears to be the original mastering.

81828384 likes this.
  15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Hi all--so I'm pretty confused after looking over this thread and was hoping someone could confirm which pressing/mastering I bought at my local shop today for $14 (vinyl). It's a single disc, UMe and 2011 printed on the back, no mention of it being a remaster anywhere, no bonus tracks, and artwork appears to look like the original CD I had back in the day (as best as I can recall). Deadwax of side 1: Bool 5767-01-AB...WG/NRP. So is this the remaster, or a new pressing of the original Bernie Grundman mastering?

Thanks for your help!

16. botley

botley Forum Resident

That would be a re-pressing of the original. The remaster is two discs (but only three sides).

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Also the reamster has a black/whote cover. No blue/pink

18. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

It's a shame it is impossible to own both.

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I know--just wasn't sure if Universal had at some point used the remaster for their general pressings. It's confusing because both are from 2011.

20. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Thanks for the confirmation--much appreciated! It sounds pretty good for $14, and the pressing is defect free, which amazed me.

21. contium

contium Forum Resident

The UMe I had was a single disc and clearly from a different master from the original pressing. Diffidently from a 44.1KHz master. Confused.

22. Ha! Of course it's possible, but I see no reason to buy the remaster.

23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Well, collectors/completists would probably want the alternate artwork and ever-so-slightly-different version of "Sanctified".

24. Yes, Sanctified is missing the Midnight Express sample and on the remastered vinyl, it ends the side by fading out and is missing the sample that segues into Something I Can Never Have. But yeah, I know people who pride themselves on having every single "Halo" release. The remaster was assigned a new number--"Halo 2R."

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.