It has been (10) years since the last Rolling Stones album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

wow! You guys are HARSH.
    Are you all sure you even LIKE the Stones?

Am I the only person who digs BLACK and BLUE?
    That's the coolest greasiest noir stripper album ever!
    It just drips atmosphere!

Stones at their drugged out SLEAZIEST!
    Doin' what they do best.
    Sure it was a transitional thing but that album grooved!
    Just crank up the tune Hot Stuff and dig that!
    None of us have written a tune that awesome.
    And Memory Motel and Fool to Cry...............two of the best ballads they ever wrote.
    And Crazy Mama is great! They should really play that one live more!

A Bigger Bang, I agree, was way too long in the padding. Too many generic sounding Stones rockers.
    But it had really superb moments.
    Back of My Hand sounded real and Biggest Mistake was awesome.
    Rough Justice was a great opener and Streets of Love is one of their great ballads! (although I think Almost Hear You Sigh is better)

I don't think Mick and Keith could sit down and write together anymore now though....
    It seems their "friendship" is mostly biz.
    All good things must come to an end.
    It's only the fans who cling to the dream. (me, being one...)

It's been a sweet journey!

Tuna82 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have a bootleg of it and would rather have it released than not or they could just release the cancelled live album from the 1972 tour.

tkl7 and Mark Wilson like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The sound is not that bad. A little phasey in places, but the music is rockin' and the mix is fine. What is not good about it? Never mind I'll look up your comments in the album by album thread, and see what you had to say. I personally like it more than Ya-Ya's as a live album.

tkl7, cc-- and John Fell like this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The double live album with Stevie Wonder on one disc and the Stones on the other? Not as great as Brussels, but that might be interesting enough to still attract some attention in the market. The artwork they had was very cool. Live albums are, I'm afraid, a remnant of the past. With the internet, an "official" release of live material doesn't really interest people unless it is accompanied by video.

5. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Emotional Rescue was my last stop with the Stones.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Even though I'd love a CD, because I love hearing/seeing any live performances from them in the '60s/70s, this is very true. So, so, so muddy. Some bootlegs sound better.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Black and Blue has aged well despite it being a lightweight (8 songs) album. The reasons are probably that the songs still sound relatively fresh as they haven't been overplayed, and it probably has the best sound of any 70's Stones album. "Memory Motel" is, at this point, probably a track that people regard as a classic - it sounded a little corny in 1975, but 40 years later that warm nostalgia takes on a completely different meaning. I saw it performed in Boston in 2013, and when Keith took over on vocals, the place just exploded - very emotional moment.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. OldSoul

What I'd really like is that deluxe Sticky Fingers with the Marquee show that someone claimed they were fairly positive would come out this spring. I'm very mad at that guy for getting my hopes up. I think I know who it was, but I may be wrong.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

When people were praising Bridges to Babylon as another classic Stones album and I just did not hear it, I knew it was time to get off the Stones wagon. That was the last studio album I bought, and I got it on vinyl.

For live albums I even had problems with some of the tracks on Stripped. The band sounded mechanical in places.

I was just listening to the Toronto archive release. You can really hear Keith and his decline as the driving force on stage. They have him mixed low, but still.

So I'm really glad I caught some of the magical tours. I even caught a show at Madison Square Garden, and they even played Little Queenie just like it was '69.

I think it's time they don't bust their brains out trying to make a record that is important in their career, and give us some more of the vault tapes now. It's about time

10. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I remember seeing the movie with some friends when it made rounds of the midnight movie circuit back in the 70's. Sound was so atrocious that none of us could figure out just what songs they were playing.

Needless to say, we didn't stay long.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Stones sounded really grungy back 1969 - 1975. Or so. That was a part of the appeal.

But even on the worst boots I could always decipher which song was being performed.

I've been playing Ladies & Gents DVD on a laptop outdoors at night when I am away from home for a night or two. I have no problem with the sound on this disc. The bluRay is going to be even better audio wise. It looks and sounds great on my wide screen laptop.

I guess I should listen to the DVD with picture off so I can hear how bad people are saying it is.

I sense the phase issues are due to the front and rear sets of channels being folded down yo stereo.

Anyway, just love this period of the Stones on stage. Mick and Keith look like rock gods, and the music is wonderful. Love the soundtrack. A remix would be cool when they give us that 1972 live box set someday soon.

John Fell likes this.
  12. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

We saw the Mono version at our local Plitt Cinema after they bought the rights to the film. I assume the problems were a combination of the fold down to Mono, along with the generally lousy sound of the average movie theater of the day (the projectionist may have been overdriving the sound as well, which didn't help matters either).

Probably need to sit down and give it another chance some time.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw plenty of midnight movies with concert flicks that sounded so bad I felt like I didn't even see the film. Just horrible, like seeing Song Remains the Same with only one channel and distortion, yet volume too low. We've come a long way.

JL6161 likes this.
  14. OldSoul

It's not unlistenable, just very muddy and bass heavy. Keith's voice has the most treble and bite in this clip.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I love Keef's rock star poses between the verses he sings with Mick in that clip. He invented that look, stance, and head tilt (as he hits a particular chord there) in rock and roll.

The sound quality gives me goose bumps! Just knockout '72 live Stones. The only thing is I'm playing it a iPhone at the moment, and would rather have 100 watts x 4 at home with it

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    OldSoul likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would suggest playing this at home on Sat. night, so loud that you can't tell it's dull or murky. Perhaps a slight treble boost? Depends on your system.

I have a large screen and good sound system, but no bluRay player yet.

17. OldSoul

I've seen it on TV a few times, but mostly watch clips on YouTube with headphones. But I finally bought the DVD (not BluRay, 'cause I'm sure I'll want to watch on my portable a lot of nights before going to bed [I'm hardcore like that]), so I'll see. I don't remember noticing muddiness when I watched it on TV, so I doubt I will.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I hope that Robert Frank saved the "concert" outtake footage from his '72 film.

He it turning 90 this year, so I'd say it's time he sold the film and all elements, prints back to the Stones.

Then they can get that '72 box set together with unseen film and new audio.

bonus likes this.
  19. OldSoul

What concert footage is in CB, anyway? Like, which city(ies)?

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm not sure, but it is lovely color, and great stuff. I saw it on the big screen from a perfect print.

21. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

Late-era Keef songs have been largely excellent and make a very enjoyable comp. It's the generic rockers that bog down the overlong albums of the last 25 years.

bonus likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My copy was a bootleg video so the dvd of Ladies And Gentlemen sounds great to me.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Winterland - San Francisco
    Tarrant County Convention Center - Fort Worth
    Hofheinz Pavilion - Houston
    Madison Square Garden - New York

quicksrt and OldSoul like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had the 4 Reels bootleg DVD for years. It looked remarkable considering.

I cherish this later legit release. Colors are so vivid, sound is good IMO.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have a bootleg video of CS Blues as well. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.