DHL's Tracking Numbers to Nowhere

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by LeeS, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Might not be best to do the DHL Global Mail shipping option at Acoustic Sounds. This is the message I have been getting all week.

Attached Files:

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Avoiding DHL Global Mail is a good idea at all times.

Agent57, 905, PhantomStranger and 4 others like this.
  3. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

ImportCDs uses DHL. They are the worst.

LeeS likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Every carrier has that page at the beginning. If you click on it over the next 3 days, it'll likely have an update.

5. LeeS

Fail. Been like this for a week.

6. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

My post above was in reference to my own experiences with DHL Global Mail, primarily the fact that anything shipped that way seems to take 3-4 days longer than shipping it directly through USPS. I often avoid purchases that will be shipped via DHL Global Mail, instead taking my business to other vendors (or paying a little more for direct shipping service, if available). Most annoying is when a seller does not disclose their shipping method, and then sends the package via DHL.

LeeS likes this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Is DHL Global Mail one of those services where the private carrier (DHL, Fedex, UPS) delivers to the local post office and USPS takes it from there?

If so, then that's why the tracking info is so unreliable. Often the tracking info won't show up in either the carrier's or USPS's database. Sometimes, however, you track it while the private carrier has it, but not when USPS gets it.

Most recently, though, I had a package sent to me via UPS-->USPS. It took a couple of days for the tracking info to show up in UPS's database, which was annoying. But the biggest surprise came when UPS handed it off to USPS - the tracking number also showed up in USPS's online system. That represented a huge improvement over the past.

8. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Yes it is. And the hand-off to USPS at the destination usually adds 2-4 days to the delivery time.

9. Myke

Here, I get it within hours of the post office receiving it.

10. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

The post office isn't the problem. The problem is that the packages often seem to get to the destination DHL facility, and then sit there for 2-4 days before they hand them over to USPS. At least that has been my experience with packages sent to me via DHL Global Mail (with admittedly is limited to perhaps a dozen packages).

11. Myke

Which is it ?

12. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

MYKE, I thought that was clear in my last post. DHL appears to take 2-4 days to hand off the package to USPS.

13. LeeS

I'm still getting the same message and no delivery yet. I got a package from Denmark faster. I also am having a hard time reaching customer service at Acoustic Sounds. Dumps me into a voice mail tree.

14. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I just received a package sent to me via DHL Global Mail from a seller approximately 25 miles from my home. So, how long did it take DHL to get that package to me? 14 DAYS. 'Twas only a cheap iPod cable, but I could have bought the thing from a Hong Kong seller (for even less) and would probably have had it in my hands sooner.

15. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I use Importcds all the time and the tracking for DHL has always worked just fine. It always takes at least 2-3 days for the tracking to get going but once it does no problems.

16. I have a love-hate relationship with DHL. On one side, and from my experience, they've proved to be an extremely reliable and fast service. Any package from anywhere in the world arrives to my door in no more than three days, and in perfect condition.

But what I hate from them is that they even charge you just for smiling. I understand that you must pay for quality, but here's what I find truly annoying: Laws in my country are pretty clear about import taxes: Packages weighing less than two kilograms (4 lb. + 6.5 oz.) don't pay any kind of taxes. But no matter if you receive a needle from abroad, you must pay import tax + handling fee + sales tax if DHL is the carrier. Of course, without mentioning what you had to pay for the package to be shipped to you.

If DHL wants to charge premium, they should raise their rates from the sender's end and let the user to decide if he / she wants to have them as his / her carrier. But having to pay on both ends and having to pay taxes for something that doesn't have to is extremely annoying. But again, I would be lying if I said that their service is average at best. It's very, very good, at least in my experience.

17. Reader

Reader Senior Member

DHL never works well for me. I avoid them as much as possible.

Why do places like ImportCD use them? Don't they just pick up the packages, take them to one of their own hubs and then turn them over to USPS? Why doesn't ImportCD (just an example) let the USPS pick up their packages and deliver without the added middleman? I do not understand.

18. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I assume they use DHL Global Mail or similar "middleman" services because they're cheaper than dealing directly with USPS. Probably not by much... but even a few pennies per package may be enough to draw in customers. And we (the recipients of the packages) get to deal with 2X, 3X, or longer delivery times so that the sellers can save those few pennies.

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If you are just buying CDs or vinyl the best bet is to have them send it USPS Media Mail with tracking assuming domestic US transaction. I think the Media mail doesn't get handed off to whichever shipper is in line to take it. I know vinyl sellers that are no longer using UPS because it takes several days longer on average and is more expensive. I agree that the increasing amount of en-route handoffs is slowing delivery noticeably and making a hash of the tracking system. For parcels I prefer either UPS or USPS. I have had poor results from DHL and Fedex parcel service. Fedex seems schizoid to me since their overnight service is top notch while the parcel division is below average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.