Correction #2: Gentle Giant's "The Power & the Glory" WILL be remixed by Steven Wilson.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blue.monk, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for posting the interview Dok.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Very glad to hear that there are apparently plans for more of these reissues. My top picks would be Octopus and In A Glass House. I'm also looking forward to hearing Questlove's hip hop remix of "So Sincere"! It's interesting to see that this unusual music, which was very much rooted in the 70s progressive tradition, has had legs and continues to speak to modern listeners to some degree.

stereoptic likes this.
  3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Got my bluray last week and just listening to the 5.1 mix now. Damn - to think I posted here a while back that I might pass on this! Thanks to our excellent FM radio <WGTB> in Wash DC when this came out, I rushed out and bought the lp. A "challenging" record for me at the time, but I loved it, yet had trouble getting all my buds to agree. Sitting here listening now I remember just how good it was, and being remixed PLUS in 5.1 it's SO much better.
    As previously stated in another post, another home run for Mr. Wilson. Love the animation, too. Considering the LOW price on this release on top of all my other praises, this a strong contender for re-release of the year for me. Two thumbs and two big toes up from me!

Pete Puma and Dok like this.
  4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Whoa! WGTB was _THE_ station during that time. Commercial free and extremely eclectic. I actually had a very similar experience living in Northern VA between '74 and '75! TPatG was the first GG album I purchased after hearing it (all of 19 years old ;-). I had actually seen them live in 1973 in Knoxville, TN without knowing who they were beforehand. They were on a bill with 3 or 4 other groups. Black Sabbath and Humble Pie being 2 if I recall correctly. I remember sitting up and taking notice and asking "who are these guys?!?", not believing what I was hearing. It still took me until the next year to make that first purchase but I've been a lifelong fan ever since.

ParloFax and jsayers like this.
  5. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Just curious if Dr. Progresso was the DJ you heard at the time.

6. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

I don't have a way of extracting audio directly from blu ray discs, so I played the flat transfer of the stereo mix of this album into my cheapo SoundBlaster card and recorded it that way. Then I compared that to the audio from my One Way CD. First of all, the sound of the flat transfer is noticeably louder and punchier than the sound of the CD. And when viewing the .wav files, the One Way CD looks *less* compressed than the flat transfer - there are more visible "spikes" to the attacks. Having written that, who cares? - the flat transfer will be my go-to version to listen to from now on! I can only presume that the One Way CD was not made from the first generation stereo master.

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Just listened to the new Stereo DVD and it sounds great!

*Has anyone ever wondered why the album sides were so mismatched? Was it because of the lyric concept? I mean holy cow, Side One is 23 minutes and Side Two is only 15 minutes!! That's such a huge difference.

8. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Is anyone a little surprised that the DVD-A of Steve Wilson's remix (and I only have the DVD-A and CD version) is 24/48 for the SW surround and stereo mixes and the flat transfer is done at 24/96? Odd.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's because it is not a DVD-A but a DVD-V. It is a question of available space on the disc.

And the surround mix is in 96/24 DTS.

10. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I just ordered the CD/DVD version...I don't have surround, so that's not the part of the DVD-V, I personally focus on. It's the higher resolution stereo remix or flat transfer of the original mix. So...is their a stereo remix AND original mix in PCM (lossless) on the DVD-V ?

11. Tesbert

Tesbert Forum Resident

Are there guys that have and heard the vinyl version? I received it yesterday but haven't had a change to give it a spin. Mine was manufactured in the EU. A bit strange is that they didn't list the title song on the back, but it's there: last track side 2. Please let me know what you guys feel.
    Oh and I have the Blu ray too. It's really great and I like the animation too.

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ya weird, but I'm guessing it's because they needed the extra space to fit on the animation during the SW mix.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, stereo remix in 48/24 and original mix in 96/24 lossless PCM.

Info here : https://www.burningshed.com/store/gentlegiant/product/522/5785/

14. OnTheRoad

Thanks much Plan9. :)

15. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Ordered the CD+Bluray version (even though I don't have a Bluray player... yet. But my father-in-law has one!).

16. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Maybe an unrelated question, but do you think GG are enjoying bigger success these days than when they were active? It seems that they have a lot of fans these days! :)

17. OnTheRoad

The only people, other than my friend's from the mid 70s, that I know of that like Gentle Giant are right here on this forum.

Only on the extremely rare occasion do I happen on a GG fan in passing.

Unless GG and it's members have negotiated a really good business plan...I don't think they make much from their sales. They didn't back then either though.

I wish they'd been monetarily successful back in the mid 70s to where they didn't feel they had to placate the trend in music as it compromised their output and eventually led them to disband. I feel they still had plenty of umphh in them to continue their quirky, creative progrock...but they just couldn't afford it. Not enough fanbase. Hopefully they make some modest moolah from their "recent" resurrgence.

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Can you believe that this release is #356 on the amazon top 100? !!
    I was never one to play music with the video monitor on, but the animation / graphics here are so imaginative that I just leave it on after making my audio selections. With the recent note that Questlove may be doing some kind of remix this release may get another portion of the general public who have a surround system and a BluRay player for movies to purchase this. The price is perfect as well.

Steven Wilson is living the life, I'll say. An excellent musician with a good following and he gets a chance to pick his favorite recordings for remixing and the groups oblige to his requests!

19. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

I got a delightful package from Amazon a little while ago. Gentle Giant Power and the Glory Blu-ray and Renaissance Scheherazade SACD from Audio Fidelity. Damn, is this heaven? Kudos to Steven Wilson for the amazing surround mix on the dense Gentle Giant recording. Anyone into progressive rock should seek out this set. Cheap, and incredibly good. Now listening to Annie Haslam and Co. and wow, another fabulous choice for Audio Fidelity. I would buy anything they release from Renaissance. Ashes Are Burning and Turn Of The Cards would be great choices. I have to say there have been some amazing reissues lately from Wilson and from Audio Fidelity.

duneman likes this.
  20. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

My copy arrived the other day. I've just listened to the stereo CD. Most of it sounds great but I'm a bit disappointed in one thing so far. In "Aspiration" the acoustic guitar is anemic. On the original vinyl that I have and also on the DRT when the acoustic guitar comes in its spine tingling. Not so much on SW mix. If you have a copy of either listen and you'll hear what I'm saying. I don't get it, its one of the great moments on the album. Need to listen to the BD and I expect it to be as prominent as ever on the flat transfer. What up Steve?

21. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Funny, just received my Amazon package a few days ago with Scheherazade (Audio Fidelity), The Power And The Glory (Blue - Ray) plus From Genesis to Revelation which I gave away my copy long ago. Also listened to Scheherazade last night, a beautiful sounding release.

22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Got blu ray today. Nice sound as usual from SW. I don't dig the music yet, but it is new for me, need to listen more.
    Little bit of negative stuff: I wish US obtained the secret foreign technology how to make the central spindle of the case in a such way that the CD could be removed without drama.
    And what is it with FBI theme? Did they sponsor this release or something? It's ridiculous.

izgoblin likes this.
  23. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My vinyl copy is on the way, really looking forward to hearing this. This will be a nice package to open up, The Power & The Glory and Richard Thompson's Acoustic Classics.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

And the animation is very interesting and creative indeed, usually I don't care about visual part, but this stands out.

Lownote30 likes this.
  25. Glad to read that people are enjoying the animation…I hope for more releases like this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.