Twilight's Last Gleaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sam, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Alright all you Visual Arts masters, answer me this: Why is it next to impossible to buy or watch this fantastic movie? It is never seen on Netflix, HBO, in-store purchase, free tv, etc. I had to go to great lengths to have a friend get me a copy from some overseas original. It's like this movie is somehow secretly banned. For those who don't know, I believe this is one hell of great movie starring Burt Lancaster among other great cast members. The plot deals with Burt Lancaster taking over a missile silo and threating to launch unless the President of the U.S. reveals the truth about Vietnam. The President is played by Charles Durning. Great movie that is NEVER seen anywhere. WHY?????? Very scary to think that this is somehow forbidden to watch. Please post your comments. Thanks.

2. Sam

Ok, I just found out that it was released on Blu ray in 2012. I still never see it on any premium channels or services. For some reason, pushed to the back of the bus.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The 6.9 out of 10 on IMDB shows it's not exactly a blockbuster. The lack of any discussion thread on Blu-ray.com is surprising too. Guess there's just a small pocket of fans for this one. At least you can own it, and enjoy it whenever you want !

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I bought this when it first came out on BR mainly because Burt Lancaster is in it.:righton:

5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I saw it as a first release in the movies back in the day. IIRC it was something like Seven Days In May.

6. Sam

All I know is that for some reason prior to the 2012 BR release, you couldn't find this movie anywhere to save your life. I want to know why? Sure, there are better movies, but we all know that doesn't mean that they are totally unavailable. I think this movie is very well done. When I think of so much garbage that is out there available at the drop of hat, I always suspected that for some reason, this release was quietly taken off the market. For example, some here may be aware of the FACT that Frank Sinatra demanded that the movie "Suddenly" be removed from all viewing after Kennedy was assassinated. It's now available once again. Fantastic movie starring Sinatra as a hit man attempting to kill the President. After Kennedy was killed, Sinatra felt that somehow the movie may have contributed to his death and wanted nothing to do with it. Very interesting.

7. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

The film didn't translate well to VHS (too many split-screen shots) and then its rights reverted to a German company. The blu-ray restoration was done by Bavaria Media.

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

It was actually released on laserdisc by CBS/Fox back in 1989, but I'd bet on the rights issue mentioned above as the main impediment to a DVD release until now. There are many, many films that got a VHS or LD release that still haven't made it to DVD or Blu-ray, frequently because of a perception that there's not a big enough audience for them to justify the investment in clearing the rights, doing a new transfer (or obtaining an existing one), and so on.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There was a DVD release the same day as the Blu-ray (November 2012).... I own a copy.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

over to amazon!

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.