Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Why do people lament the lack of single edits when they are just short versions of the album versions? This makes no sense to me. Why would you want to hear an edit of "Jet," for instance? The only thing that would warrant a single edit being released in these sets is if there was something unique about it, like the organ at the beginning of "Letting Go," which is thankfully included in this set. Yeah, they included "Waterfalls" in McCartney II, but they had a second bonus disc comprised of longer/shorter edits of other songs on the album, so they may as well have thrown it in. I would have been really mad if they decided to include the single edit of "Listen To What The Man Said" and taken something like "4th of July" away from us. And really, what's different about LTWTMS' single mix? It fades at the end. Such a loss... :shrug:

2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

-> Single version is exactly the same as LP version.

Are you sure you don't want to also have the "disco-single" versions of both songs from the French 12" single ? :p

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Venus & Mars
    1. Listen To What The Man Said - single edit (available on Wingspan). - What's the point?
    2. Love In Song - single edit. - What's the point?
    3. Venus And Mars/Rock Show - single edit (available on Wingspan). - What's the point?
    4. Zoo Gang - released in June '74 as the b-side to the "Band On The Run" single. - Already released on BOTR.
    5. Rudolf, The Red-Nosed Reggae - released in 1979 as the b-side to "Wonderful Christmastime". - Will be released on Back to the Egg, people.
    6. Send Me The Heart - a tune sung by Denny Laine and later released on a Laine solo album. - Not really surprised; it's a solo Denny song now.
    7. Proud Mum - unreleased instrumental track. - Don't know what to say about this one. Future rarities box release?
    8. Proud Mum (reprise) - another unreleased version of "Proud Mum". - Don't know what to say about this one. Future rarities box release?
    9. Tomorrow - an unreleased instrumental version of the 'Wild Life' track. - Will likely be on Wild Life.
    10. New Orleans - unreleased instrumental, not the same song as "Going To New Orleans". - Don't know what to say about this one. Future rarities box release?

Wings At The Speed Of Sound
    1. Let Em In - Japanese single mix. - What's the point?
    2. Beware My Love - single mix. - What's the point?

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Feel a little bad for the fellow. He probably kept those materials just for personal use and now his name's associated with "leaks".

Mark

theMess likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Just like that poor Peter Sellers guy.

6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I think the operative words are obsessive compulsive (or maybe diehard)?

Not that there is anything truly wrong with that mind you.

She is anyway likes this.
  7. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

I wish this would've been included. Oh well.

8. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"Band On The Run":
    "Jet": (can't find it right now but I know it's on youtube somewhere).
    They were the hatchet job of Capitol's Al Coury, they make for a strange listening experience, but I don't miss them not being on the remasters.
    A selfmade CD compiling all of Paul's stereo/mono/promo edit singles will be more than enough for me.

What we're "missing" now are:

"Silly Love Songs": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvkzQYQD1WE
    "Let 'Em In": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPshYOki620

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think the operative words are Wingspan: Hits and History.

warewolf95 and crossroads69 like this.
  10. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I think Paul is not a fan of the hatchet job radio edits - he put VM/RS on Wingspan, and that may be good enough for him.

I think the others you refer to were unauthorized record co edits that he does not approve of - I for one hate the edited Silly Love Songs.

11. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

It is interesting that no Denny Laine tracks are being included as bonus material. I completely understand why that is the case (for the exact reason you explained) but they could've easily gone the other way as well.

I believe I read somewhere once that Wings recorded a song called "Mother's Pride" to sell loaves of bread. I'm guessing this is one in the same as Mother's Pride was the name of a bread outfit.

According to "Eight Arms...", "New Orleans" is a Linda McCartney track that has been available on "Wide Prairie" for years.

rstamberg likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

Wingspan also included the single edit of "Junior's Farm", which is horrible since the song loses a complete verse. Arnie

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I forgot about the previous "New Orleans" release. I don't have that CD of Linda's.

I wish they had included that track of Denny's, but I understand why they didn't. I love that type of song/arrangement.

That "Proud Mum" explanation sounds good to me. I had it a few years ago on a boot but didn't remember it being anything special.

14. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

a promotional video that my editor made for my upcoming September 2015 biography of Jimmy McCulloch. Venus and Mars themed :)

theMess likes this.
  15. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

He's still getting a "special Speed Of Sound badge" in the credits of the new 'Archive Release', so it's all good.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Which songs we recorded in New Orleans?

17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Shall I remind you that the live versions of "Junior's Farm" and "Venus And Mars"/"Rock Show" he has performed on stage in the last few years are precisely... those hatchet radio edits?

letmerollit, Frank and raphph like this.
  18. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"Proud Mum"
    "Mother's Pride"
    Got it? :)

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

He won't be able to do "Hey Jude" otherwise! Priorities.

warewolf95, theMess, Frank and 2 others like this.
  20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

So true! Now the lyrics make no sense at all!!! ;)

21. Arnold Grove

Maybe they can eventually issue an archival set called The Best of Denny Laine with Wings with all of his regular released tracks plus other rarities like 'Send me The Heart".

Yeah. I know. Wishful thinking....

Arnie

22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Coming Soon to the Denny Laine Archive Collection...

23. Arnold Grove

I wonder if Holly Days will ever see the light of day again.

Arnie

supermd and She is anyway like this.
  24. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I'm budgeting for this release around christmas time.
    Love this record! Play it regularly.

ConnieGuitar and She is anyway like this.
  25. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

For me, the V&M single edit is worthy of inclusion because it was issued commercially, was a high-charting hit and is a unique listening experience (albeit more of a novelty than something I would listen to often). It's a big part of the Wings historical record of that time and should be part of something called the "Archive Collection". Moreso than radio edits that the completist in me would like to have but I don't think they're essential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.