Poll--The Weakest Link: Paul McCartney OFF THE GROUND, Round 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We opened up the door and set"Winedark Open Sea" free.

Five remain, one must go.

Discussion question: If you didn't see the '93 tour, I don't think you got to see any of these songs in concert. If Paul called you today and said "I'm thinking of adding a song from OTG to the set list next week," which song would you suggest that he put in the lineup in 2014?

6 Winedark Open Sea
    7 Golden Earth Girl
    T8 Peace In The Neighbourhood
    T8 I Owe It All To You
    T10 Get Out Of My Way
    T10 Looking For Changes
    T10 Get Out Of My Way

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Lovers That Never Were

I didn't see 1993............he still does play Hope Of Deliverance from time to time in other countries, but not the US.
    Edit - it seems to be a favorite in Mexico and South America.

I'd probably want to hear Mistress & Maid because I like most of the Elvis Costello collaborations.

3. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I saw 1993,
    I voted off Mistress and Maid, cause I dig Lovers that Never Were more...

foxylady likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I went with the title track (I like them all).

I was there in '93. What I would suggest that he add and what I personally would want to hear are not the same thing. "Hope of Deliverance" would seem to have the best chance of getting over with the crowd, but personally I'd take a "Peace in the Neighborhood". 'Twould be a fine thing. :)

5. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

This album came out over 20 years ago now and I distinctly remember my disappointment upon hearing "Hope of Deliverance" for the first time. I was so bummed out and didn't want to admit it. It didn't ruin my experience with the record, but I will say that I had to force myself to listen to the song while listening to the album.

I say boot Hope of Deliveranc!

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I know that I bang on about it often, but I really enjoy listening to the live version of Hope that Paul performed in Orlando last year. It went down well with the audience.

If I could suggest any live song for Paul to play live it would be The Lovers That Never Were, a beautiful ballad. I can imagine it taking the Maybe I'm Amazed slot in the set-list.

7. RayS

Not to be a downer, but I don't know if Paul could pull that one off vocally with his current range.

Huck Caton and theMess like this.
  8. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

"Mistress And Maid" -- to me it always sounded the most forced of the MacManus collaborations he performed, the one that sounded like he was covering an Elvis Costello song instead of co-creating.

As I mentioned in one of the earlier threads, despite twice winning tickets to see Paul live in '93, I was denied the chance when the concert was cancelled. I would probably add "Hope Of Deliverance," which has grown on me over the years.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

C'mon People

10. Joey Self

Thanks for the info; obviously, I didn't know he was still playing "Hope Of Deliverance."

JcS

theMess likes this.
  11. RayS

The one and only live performance of "Cosmically Conscious" seemed to go over like a lead balloon. I think 99% of the crowd were simply baffled, especially in an encore slot where they were expecting another Beatles "classic".

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I don't like this album at all. Not to threadcrap, but given his previous Costello collaborations I had high hopes for this album. It didn't deliver.

Huck Caton likes this.
  13. Joey Self

Not a threadcrap at all; this isn't a cheerleading session for this album or this artist.

Nor is any WL game...

JcS

14. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Ok, but please don't boot Hope of Deliverance:D;)

15. Joey Self

I saw the Kansas City show in 1993, and if Setlist.fm is right, I saw six of the OTG songs. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/1993/arrowhead-stadium-kansas-city-mo-3bddb84c.html The one I'd vote for now is one that didn't make it into that set: "Get Out Of My Way."

JcS

16. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Mistress and Maid

I think if I were going to a show and McCartney promised to play a song off the album, I'd pick Hope of Deliverance. My favorite off the album, and one that I think is really head and shoulders above the rest. Sure, it'd be a missed opportunity to get him to play one of the more obscure tracks, but I'd be happy with what I think is his best off the album.

17. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

C'mon people, let's get rid of "C'mon People."

If I'm limited to picking songs from the album to bring back on tour, I'd probably go with the title track. But if the B-sides are fair game, it's absolutely gotta be "Kicked Around No More."

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I know that a bunch of you like Kicked Around but, seriously, don't the omnipresent 46 layers of "ooh-AHH" backing vocals make you long for something with a little more subtlety in the arrangement? That one gives Motor of Love a run for the money in terms of most overblown vocal arrangement...

I like the content of the song, but why can't we have a nice, minimalist blues arrangement for it? Paul has so rarely dabbled in blues: On The Way, I Wanna Cry ... are their other legitimate self-penned tunes? If so, not many. But there are certainly plenty of overdone mush ballads, and that's what he did to this somewhat promising track, IMO.

Frank likes this.
  19. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an alternate, sparser mix, but I love the harmonies there and they provide a nice transition between verses. I actually feel like the harmonies on "Off the Ground" are a little more off-putting and unnecessary to be honest.

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Bye, C'mon. Calling all minstrels!

21. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I agree and see what you mean. But Paul is definitely not a bluesman...

22. Joey Self

I've been voting against "C'mon People" since the first round. If it goes this time, I'll have to think again.

But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

JcS

23. RayS

I think the lush backing vocals fit just fine - no complaints here.

24. Joey Self

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.