Do you consider DJs/EDM artists to be musicians (lifted from another thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phish

phish Jack Your Body

you had me until you said that deadmau5 produces good music.

:hide:

:winkgrin:

2. contium

contium Forum Resident

Ha ha in general I agree with you but for some reason I have been coming around. I used to be the biggest deadmou5 hater.

3. contium

contium Forum Resident

Also trying to keep it somewhat relatable for non EDM people by not going for some obscure, underground tech house DJ. A lot of mainstream knows who Deadmou5 is.

4. phish

phish Jack Your Body

tbh, beyond the stuff years ago, i have given him zero airtime. i do enjoy reading about his run-ins with other djs and twitter wars.

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

If you make music you're a musician. Yes, it's that simple, that's why we have words, because they mean things.

Honestly sometimes I don't understand this forum.

vamborules, 2xUeL, SMcFarlane and 6 others like this.
  6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I would define most DJs as composers or artists, but in most cases not musicians. It's the same way I would categorize most producers and sound engineers. In the broader world of electronic music though, there is such a range of possible methods to create music, that it would have to be a case-by-case to make those definitions.

But the fact really being ignored here is this: just because you define someone as a musician, that does not automatically mean they are a good musician who makes quality music.
    So you could easily categorize some ham-fisted DJ that you despise as a musician who creates really bad, boring music.

7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

They fall somewhere between producer/engineer and composer. I wouldn't technically qualify them as a musician because in my personal opinion that requires being able to play an actual musical instrument.

8. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

In your opinion maybe but not the dictionary definition of music or conventional wisdom.

The Oxford Universal Dictionary defines music as, "That one of the fine arts which is concerned with the combination of sounds with a view to beauty of form and the expression of thought or feeling" Doesn't say ANYTHING about playing a so called "instrument".

nbakid2000 likes this.
  9. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

What does it define "musician" as?

10. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Musician "a person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession, or is musically talented"

Dictionaries aside common sense would dictate that anything musical that moves someone is music, I don't understand the ultra conservative mindset on here, I really don't, try open your mind, even a little bit people!.

PHILLYQ, druboogie and nbakid2000 like this.
  11. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

No, they ain't no musicians. They just mess with other people's works.

12. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

And bad ones at that.

13. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

And what about the ones that write their own songs?

14. progrocker71

Everything I write is an opinion...that kind of goes without saying.

15. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

If we're talking people like Kraftwerk or Stockhausen, or, as somebody else mentioned, Steve Reich, definitely yes. But, they are musicians to begin with, unlike your typical DJ whose entire knowledge of harmony, voice leading and arranging can be summarized in five words: play, stop, eject, pitch and bpm.

Rasputin likes this.
  16. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

And harmonically for that matter.

17. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

One of my favorite DJ's.

Rasputin likes this.
  18. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

For those lacking that particular ability I can offer a great deal on a huge selection of pre-scratched records and deep-scratch needles - everything you need to become a DJ in no time.
    [​IMG]

19. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I disagree with your guitar vs turntable analogy. It's true that you can't make much meaningful racket using a turntable without records, but you could say the same thing about a guitar without strings, right? You can tap the pickups or whatever to make limited sounds, but you're basically dead in the water.

hutlock, phish and nbakid2000 like this.
  20. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Care to illuminate us on the difference between an "actual musical instrument" and the tools that electronic musicians use?

hutlock likes this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Guitar strings don't come containing songs already recorded by other people.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  22. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

If chick corea cant be a DJ, how can a DJ be a musician?

Is a cat a DJ?

23. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Brings to mind something about pearls and swine.

24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

A musician can't make really cool sound effects without some sort of electric tool either, but no one complains that someone using a whammy bar can be "done by anybody".

25. progrocker71

You obviously want me to post something solely so you can come back and attack it. I think I'll pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.