The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

OK. I will try not to be funny anymore.

mikedifr0923 and rainspainplain like this.
  2. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Be funny, just on topic.

Believe me, I'm pretty sure the moment this thread starts being about people complaining about the very concept of Mastered for iTunes is the moment this thread becomes nearly only people complaining about the very concept, and that would be a shame and contrary to the thread's purpose.

You can see where many of us don't want that to happen, I hope.

Have a great day!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

3. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

A quick glance at iTunes shows that the new Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album, "Hypnotic Eye" and the Allman Brothers Band "1971 Fillmore East Recordings" are Mastered for iTunes.

coffeetime and lbangs like this.
  4. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

There are also more James Brown albums up, but they are spotty and make little sense. You just have to click on each one to check.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

5. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

On the UK iTunes the ABB 1971 Fillmore East Recs does not have "Mastered For iTunes" label, maybe it is US only.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Apparently that version is more dynamic than the CD version.

bonnerj and lbangs like this.
  7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Big Star #1 Record and Radio City on 2nd of Sept, new mastering and MFiT.

bonnerj, GetHappy!! and lbangs like this.
  8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Some live Newport albums are arriving...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

bonnerj likes this.
  9. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

The Maroon 5 catalog is up.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

coffeetime likes this.
  10. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

I did some random crosschecking with new releases from HDTracks, and discovered that Freddie King Is A Blues Master in mono is available as Mastered for iTunes.

lbangs likes this.
  11. Does iTunes usually not make any indication if something's in mono? Or would the average iTunes listener notice?

12. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

At least for the US store, iTunes has denoted when an album is mono (for example, Freddie King Is A Blues Master and Dusty in Memphis). I'm not sure if they go so far as denoting individual tracks for a compilation album, though. As to whether the average iTunes listener would notice? :shrug:

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  13. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Leonard Cohen and Lady Gaga are the two big additions I notice this week.

I'm sure they'll prove friendly neighbors.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

coffeetime likes this.
  14. mikemike7

mikemike7 New Member

Any opinions on the Aerosmith MFiT?

I have Toys remastered CD from 93 and want Pump, Get a Grip, Permanent Vacation, Rocks.

I can get the CDs used in my city but wondering if the itunes albums would be better or if it even matters.

sound chaser likes this.
  15. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I have many copies of Rocks (easily my favorite Aerosmith disc). I have vinyl copies, original issues, and the Vic Anesini remasters from the early 1990s. I do not have the SACD.

The Mastered for iTunes is the version I listen to the most. It has all the roar and fury of the 90s disc, but the treble seems a bit toned down, and the midrange appreciates the spotlight.

Otherwise, I only have the CD issues of Toys. Again, I like the MfiT version. I do also have Pump and some assorted songs MfiT, but I honestly haven't much to compare them to.

That's my quick take. I have not had the opportunity to sit down and directly compare these, so I'm relying (too much) on my memory.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

A fatal combination of existing iTunes credit, £25 iTunes cards going for £20 in Asda, a phase of early Beatles fixation and a tough time in life otherwise have all conspired to me being forced (forced!) to buy the MFiT Beatles U.S. albums box set - currently downloading.

Still have some excess credit so looking at either upgrading my 1994 Japan CD of Beatles Live at the BBC vol1 to the 2013 MFiT version or soliciting recommendations from the good people of this thread for MFiT music.

Scopitone likes this.
  17. You might be interested in the band "Apple Jam". They do early Beatle-style covers of early songs the Beatles wrote, but didn't record. "Off The Beatle Track" is their main album. They also have an "On The Wings of a Nightingale" EP. (I just verified they're on the UK iTunes.)

mysalamander likes this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If you still have some iTunes money left and like early Beatles, you might want to wait until December, when the "Bootleg 1964" iTunes set should be released.

19. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just done Preview All on the album in the UK iTunes store - fun to hear I'll Be On My Way & Hello Little Girl done in a studio as it's tracks like these that make Anthology 1 & the two BBC albums such a joy to listen to (along with Beatley banter on the latter). Might be me but the vocals sound slightly 'processed'. Definite contender for a spend though.

Haven't got around to buying the 1963 bootleg yet. I'm slightly wary of it as it all looks uncurated, as opposed to Anthology/BBC which have had some thought given to running order and flow and also come with the benefits of liner notes. On the other hand 1963 does look to have plenty of BBC material; spent plenty of time over the past few weeks listening to BBC 1 & 2 and the occasional drop in audio quality is more than made up for by the sheer joy of listening to the band in their early live prime, mostly sans screaming.

Without wanting to change the focus of the thread, is a 1964 bootleg looking likely? I can never get enough of AHDN era material (2009 Uk stereo & mono, US stereo & mono (as of today, yay!), Anthology 1 & BBC) so more would always be welcome.

Speaking of the MFiT US Albums box set, so far I'm made up with it. Whatever compression & equalisation has been added to the 2009 remasters together with the sequencing is making for terrific listening, a real alternate listen to the UK canon catalogue. As with previous Beatles MFiT purchases the files themselves sound as though someone has cared what the final result sounds like.

I've managed to extract the .jpg files that comprise the booklet and front/back LP covers and inner sleeves out of the iTunes LP file. At 720x720 they're not the highest quality that they could be and this shows up even more on an iPad minis retina screen. Still readable but the lack of resolution hurts a little. Still, more than many do for downloads on iTunes/Amazon/Hi res stores so can't complain.

Appreciate both of your suggestions though. Nice to have options, even better to have the credit on hand to realise them :D

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  20. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Not sure if The Velvet Underground interests you but I recently picked up White Light/White Heat super deluxe for 19.99 MFiT, absolute bargain.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  21. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

ECM is on board.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

22. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I wonder what "mastered for iTunes" is going to mean for ECM. Hopefully nothing different from their CDs.

23. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

From the article, it seems the label is mostly excited about making the files from high-resolutions masters, but I've no idea...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

24. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Huge new Maria Callas section, whoever she is...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

25. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

LOL!!

lbangs likes this.