Vinyl shopping in Chicago ?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Bill Cormier, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am going to Chicago next month and was wondering if there are any good vinyl shops, anyone know ?
    I am primarily interested in Rock/Jazz/Folk etc.

Thanks !
    Bill

2. Bill Cormier

3. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

for Jazz and Blues, and just general funky ambiance, check out the Jazz Record Mart, 27 East Illinois

http://jazzmart.com/

4. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

For jazz, you have the evergreen Jazz Record Mart. Other great vinyl stores in Evanston (directly north of Chgo) are 2nd Hand Tunes and Dr. Wax (limited vinyl selection at Dr. Wax, but it is there). Also in Evanston is Vintage Vinyl, but they have mostly only collector stuff (and price accordingly).

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Reckless Records
    Dave's Records
    Hard Boiled
    Dusty Groove

6. Bill Cormier

Thanks !
    It`s a start.

7. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I believe Dr Wax, at least the Sherman Ave/Evanston location, is history . .

8. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

D'OH! another one bites the dust. When did that happen?

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

10. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

If you're looking for new, you can walk in to Music Direct (corner of Laflin and Carroll).

If used is your thing and you're in the 'burbs, you can't pass up Half Price Books. The rack at floor level is usually clearance. Got a lot of great '70s and 80s rock classics in great condition for 50 cents each. The upper bins are 2.98 and up.

If you're looking for other stuff the above recommendations are solid.

Eric

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Little Al's on Lawrence...'course that was 1972...had to catch the bus at Kedzie and Irving Park Rd....took it to Lawrence...

thank God I got to raise my son in record stores !!! Who knew they'd disappear ? :shake:

12. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Hey folks. I am in Chicgo this week and need some suggestions. I am staying at the Millenium Knickerbocker hotel near Michigan Ave. I went to Reckless on Madison last night and I was shocked at how small it was and crappy the selection was. Any suggestions for a bigger store with a really good used vinyl selection (new vinyl would be good as well). I do not have a car but could live with a short cab ride somewhere. Thanks.

13. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Hey folks. I am in Chicgo this week and need some suggestions. I am staying at the Millenium Knickerbocker hotel near Michigan Ave. I went to Reckless on Madison last night and I was shocked at how small it was and crappy the selection was. Any suggestions for a bigger store with a really good used vinyl selection (new vinyl would be good as well). I do not have a car but could live with a short cab ride somewhere. Thanks.

14. jfortun

jfortun Senior Member

Thought I would add this store to the thread, just to have it on record. For vinyl check out:

Vintage Vinyl in the city of Evanston (just north of Chicago). They are a bit pricey but very well organized and everything I have picked up from there is in pristine condition.

15. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm going to be checking out Remember When Records in the suburbs (it's in Westmont), and hopefully Dave's Records in the city. I read reviews saying they have much more vinyl and imports as well as rarities.

Kiss the Sky in Geneva (suburb) is a good one I've been to. They mostly have U.S. vinyl, though, not from other countries or rare stuff (at least that's what my impression was, though), but still plenty there, and the store owner's really cool. He checked my turntable out for free and is really helpful.

Kiss the Sky can get any vinyl, but most of the stuff there I've seen was U.S. Only store record store I've been to so far but still worth checking out.

16. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

Remember When will be closing soon. They are presently starting the clearing out process with everything on sale.

17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

18. psychedelicpiper

Yeah, I actually skim through the reviews on Yelp to get an idea of the record stores.

Really!? :bigeek: Haven't enough record stores been closed down as it is? I mean, yeah, okay, that's a plus that I'll be able to get my record/s for cheaper then, but does it really have to close down?

Sure, you cannot buy a CD if you don't want to, but more people need to start buying vinyl. Luckily, the number of people buying records has been increasing, and hopefully it keeps going up. But that is really sad news about Remember When. :(

Fed up with how there's less stores that are completely dedicated to selling nothing but music. Pretty much you have to go to some big chain that sells CD's. Okay, I'm done. Didn't mean to disrupt the thread.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i'll be in chicago this weekend.. hoping i can hit up one of these.

20. psychedelicpiper

Visited it on Thursday. They are NOT closing down after all. Yes, they do have vinyl on sale, but the owner said they're not closing down. If anything, he said, it'd be during the summer, but they're not planning on it so far.

Awesome store. A lot of variety, although a lot of used albums one might be looking for get sold fast.

The listening station downstairs could use a new cartridge, though. I'm pretty new to vinyl, but nothing else seemed wrong with it, so I'm betting it must have been the cartridge then.

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Got the Zombies "Odessey and Oracle" on LP at Reckless Records yesterday.
    So excited.. I've wanted this for awhile on vinyl.

22. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Oak Park (just west of Chicago) has three used record stores..

This one is the best..

http://www.valshalla.com/bio.htm

I think the owner was working at Capital Records ripping up Butcher Block covers back in the day. Go in and ask her about it.

Forest Park which is next to Oak Park has another used record store and a collectibles store which is across the street that has a ton of records.

23. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

If anyone is going to Vintage Vinyl in the near future, can I ask you a favor via PM?? Would be much appreciated and since you were going there anyway, easy to do.....theres a record I want there and need to check ACTUAL condition versus what a**hole over the phone tells me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.