"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Man, those G.R.'s are some cold-hearted pricks! I wonder how long it is until the sheriff has to investigate the "disappearance" of one of them when an angry towns-person puts one in the ground.

The two ***** teenage boys that Jill and Aimee hang out with from time to time are pretty funny.

Thanks for the info on the episode titles, Wayne. For this week "B.J. and the A.C." the BJ is probably baby jesus, but I haven't figured out the AC yet. "Alnorvo Child"? I think that was the name of the company that made the doll that the mayor sent the chief to to the store to pick up.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Okay, four episodes in and I still don't care about one miserable person on this depressing, ambiguous show. That's the big difference between this and Lost. I don't care how well its written, directed, or acted. If I don't care about the characters then I simply don't care about the show. I'll give it one more chance.

3. Well it might not be for you or to your taste. That's OK, too. I've enjoyed the show although it is pretty darn downbeat.

4. agentalbert

Saw an interview with Amy Brenneman today talking about the show. She said that by the end of the first season many but not all questions would be answered. She also said that episode 1.09 was a big flashback episode that would show a lot of her from right before the event, when she was a regular speaking person and hadn't yet abandoned her family.

5. Who wants to bet that for every question they answer they will have asked two new ones in their place? ;)

wayneklein likes this.
  6. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

1 have 2 questions: What are the questions they are going to ask and answer? And what kind of questions are they going to answer, about the questions they don't answer? ;)

wayneklein likes this.
  7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Watched the latest episode last night.
    Very disturbing.
    Don't want to spoil it so I won't discuss the details but those who have seen it will know what I mean.

8. freakazoid

freakazoid Member

Straining my eyes to read Amy Brennerman's writing, no problem with the other GR's though.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So, to me, this shows just gonna be some kind of "Twilight Zone"-'symbolism-for-society-itself'-type of show.
    .....like "LOST".

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I know what you mean... It was very disturbing and intense (at least I thought so).

11. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

The scene being referred to might have been the most disturbing thing I have ever seen on TV. Not much phases me, but I was viscerally reacting and could hardly watch.

12. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

That convinced me I liked the show--the fact that I didn't turn it off when THAT scene happened. Ordinarily I give up on a show when it becomes that hard to watch.

13. agentalbert

"The Leftovers" and FX's "The Bridge" are the shows I look most forward to every week. I like not having any idea what the next episode might be like or who it might focus on.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I still don't care about a single character on the show even though it wants me to. One more chance tonight and then it's off my DVR.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wait, you don't like the Asian-America under-aged girlfriend that the sheriff's son has to keep safe? She's so sympathetic...

16. agentalbert

I liked tonight's episode quite a bit. Nora has become my favorite character. The actress is doing a great job. Never noticed her before, but I'll keep an eye out for Carrie Coon from now on. It was nice to get a reprieve from the GR for one episode too.

Oh, and good use of Slayer and Crowded House!

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

do you sense a romance in her future?

which could lead to some interesting things.

18. agentalbert

Sure, they've hinted at that since two episodes ago (when Kevin and Nora talk in the hallway at the dance), but given the show we're watching, I would expect something to derail that or it to go very, very wrong. Maybe not initially, but they aren't going to just become the happy couple.

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

She is the best character IMO, the most interesting, most tragic etc.
    And I agree about the actress, though she she looks vaguely familiar a quick look at her IMDB biography doesn't reveal anything. One to watch for

20. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Last night's episode kinda ended up having a weird Star Trek V: The Final Frontier thing going on with the "let go of your pain" stuff. I've officially gone from meh to bored.

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

she looks like molly parker to me!

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yes, good call !
    That would explain why I like her so much, I'm a big fan of Molly Parker

23. agentalbert

Re: Carrie Coon

Yeah, I've thought the same thing. There's something about her eyes and her voice that reminds me of Molly Parker. I'm a big fan of her too.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think carrie coon has a very bright future, she will be in "gone girl" w/ben affleck, and it is getting a lot of hype, entertainment weekly gave it a cover story a couple months ago, david fincher produces.

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think I liked that episode best of any of them so far. It was nice to see a uplifting storyline. Everything needs balance.

vince likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.