Aside from The Beatles who had the strongest run of hits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Sadly, no.

2. The Jackson 5

3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Bing Crosby did good in his day, found this:

...........................................ELVIS PRESLEY................BING CROSBY
    Number of Top 30 Hits.................... .85................................383

Number of Top 10 Hits......................38.................. ............ 203

Number of Number 1 Hits........... ..... .18................................ 41

Longest Consecutive Run
    at the #1 Position --.......................-16 weeks (1956) --------- 23 (1944)

Total Weeks at #1..................... ..... 80.............................. 173

Most Top 30 songs in 1 Year........ ..... 10 (1956)............. .........27 (1939)

Total Number of Recordings............. .665....................... ......1700

Total Popularity Number
    (Billboard System) ----...........-..---- 7,190 --------...........--.27,465

Total Popularity Number
    (My System) ----..........-.....--........-33,415 -----.....-........--125,899

from here: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/elvisbing.html

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Paul McCartney

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The Kinks

6. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Same here. Nice picture though. Boingy-boingy.

Matthew Tate and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

The wiki page about Shakin' Stevens' says he "holds the distinction of being theUK's biggest-selling singles artist of the 1980s". It would be good to have a reliable source for this statistic, as I can't seem to find any official stats which rank artists by decade.

As for the 70s - I'm probably wrong here, but I can't help thinking that both Elton John and ABBA must surely have out sold Slade in the UK even though Slade were, well, massive here.

Again, it would be nice to have a reliable source for the sales stats so we know for sure, as I've seen Shaky's domination of the '70s mentioned in terms of time in the singles charts and also overall sales, which of course are two different things.

8. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I know when I was going though my old 45's I was surprised to see how many records I had by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

9. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You can't really compare the two so sweepingly and decisively. Barry as a writer/arranger was up there with both Paul and John. In terms of popularity and record sales, The Bee Gees were certainly on par. In terms of longevity, they were miles ahead.
    Because The Beatles were only in the world spotlight for about 7 years, They didn't have time to have a backlash unleashed on them. Even at the height of the Bee Gees 80's backlash, Barry was still writing top notch songs for other artists.
    So its just a matter of opinion Scott.

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Correct. Also, their third single, "I Put A Spell on You," peaked at #58.
    And that's just if you start counting with their singles under that name. The same four guys had several singles (I forget if there were nine or ten of them) under other band names before "Porterville," none of which charted.

arisinwind likes this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Based entirely on the hint, Gary Lewis and the Playboys?

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  12. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

The Jackson 5's first nine went top 20 I'm positive the first four to number one....

mosogotamravip likes this.
  13. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Gary Lewis & The Playboys, and also The Lovin' Spoonful

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

of course!

15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]

16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

well I like the BeeGees non-disco stuff a lot. But the disco songs aren't worthy, imo.

17. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Am I missing something? Without looking at the stats, I'm pretty sure the Stones had a great singles chart run from the mid-sixties through early 70s.

Screw it - I looked at the stats: 11 UK #1s and 18 top five hits from 63-73; 7 US #1s and 15 top tens during the same period.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  18. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Here is a good run...

Between 1969 and 1974, Three Dog Night had 19 consecutive Top 20 singles on the U.S. Billboard chart. (Their first two singles, "Nobody" (116) and "Try A Little Tenderness" #29, did not chart Top 20.)

19. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

that is sadly so true, and what a travesty the latter,, can anybody name more than two of lowlife's hits ? the former had undisputed talent though in a pop sense

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  20. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Glee 207 hits in the top 100.
    The Beatles 73 hits in the top 100.

Glee 51 top 40 hits.
    The Beatles 51 top 40 hits.

Glee zero nr 1"s
    The Beatles 20 nr 1"s

Glee 3 top 10 hits.
    The Beatles 34 top 10 hits.

Glee 258 weeks in the top 100.
    The Beatles 637 weeks in the top 100.

21. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

**** Glee!

22. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Fats Domino had almost 40 Top 40 Hits in 50s and 60s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.