CSNY '74 Tour CD/DVD/Blu-Ray (Part 3, Carry On...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

same here!
    there must be more... I want more!!

bonus likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i know for sure that nash was working on CSNY2K for a long time before young put an end to it, maybe, just maybe.........

3. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

If you are in the mood for more CSNY, there are some decent audience tapes from that 2000 tour, but the Madison Square Garden Theater Living with War 2006 tour recording quality probably sounds better than 74!

rstamberg likes this.
  4. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Bump for C P members.

5. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

It's on the 1974 London "It's All Right" - There's a point where Graham stops playing piano, and says something like, "I've been smoking too much, I thought I saw Allen [Clarke]" - At least, the supposition is that he's referring to Allan Clarke! Nothing wrong with him saying it, its just that it got old for me after X zillion listens - So I used Audacity to pull it out - Audacity works wonders on Four Way Street too - renders it a much more listenable album - "Don't want to play mumbletypeg with him - He'll steal your leg;-) "

MidnightRocks and bonus like this.
  6. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

01-Human Highway (Barncard studio leak)
    02-See the Changes (CSN Box)
    03-Carry Me (CSNY 1974)
    04-Prison Song (KFOG)
    05-Little Blind Fish (KFOG)
    06-First Things First (Sometimes Stills 1975/Sometimes Roosevelt 1974 SBD)
    07-Homeward through the Haze (CSN Box)
    08-And So it Goes (Sometimes Winterland 1973; Sometimes Graham Wild Tales - believe this is CNY)
    09-Pushed it Over the End (Italian B side)
    10-As I Come of Age (Stills 1975 solo)
    11-Through my Sails (Zuma)
    Total time - 39:15

and move into 76 mode with this one

01 - Long May You Run (Deacde)
    02 - Black Coral (Carry On)
    03 - Time After Time (CSNY 1974)
    04 - It's All Right (London 1974 or Whales and Fieldworkers 1974 - both soundboards)
    05 - My Angel (CSNY 1974)
    06 - Traces (CSNY 1974)
    07 - Fieldworker (CSNY 1974)
    08 - King of the Mountain (Whales and Fieldworkers 1974 or Voyage Demo - I don't like the piano version with Craig Doerge on Crosby-Nash live; Too self-consciously "jazzy")
    09 - Myth of Sisyphus (CSNY 1974)
    10 - Love Art Blues (CSNY 1974)
    11 - Taken at All (CSN Box)

7. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Just as a historical footnote, back in the 20th century they had these things called newsgroups and David Crosby frequented one on AOL where there was a discussion of the Human Highway possibilities, and he registered a *very* brief endorsement of one possibility...

[email protected]
    Sep 21, 1999
    View Source

In a message dated 9/17/99 5:13:34 AM, mritter@... writes:

<<
    Side One:

First Things First
    Human Highway (Barncard mix from Doc's "Rare and Unreleased" compilation tape)
    Critical Mass/Wind of the Water
    Homeward Through the Haze (Box Set)
    Guardian Angel

Side Two:

Long May You Run (Neil's Decade)
    Taken At All (Box Set)
    See the Changes (Box Set)
    Carry Me
    Through My Sails (Neil's Zuma)

sounds like a great album to me ...............

Hep Alien, rcb30, bonus and 4 others like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Finally had a chance to play this box set; it arrived the day I was leaving the country for a couple of weeks, so it went unplayed until now. Anyone else have some packaging issues? My set has glue residue leaking from the plastic CD slots; Amazon is sending a replacement. I can't believe I am listening to this material after so many years of knowing it existed, but also feeling like there was little-to-no chance Neil would let it be released. It is too early in my listening to pinpoint highlights, but there are a lot of inspired, high quality performances at first glance. In general, disc 2 really jumps out as something special.

jay.dee, ralphb, csnfan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i agree disc 2 is the highlight of the set

ralphb likes this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here, it's very special, just a wonderful listen.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

disc two is great, but i could seriously listen to "on the beach" for hours.

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Are any of those 5 shows missing the setlist among the 8 multitracked shows this set was drawn from?

13. JoeRockhead

The problem I have on 4 Way Street is with the 'jam' part. It goes nowhere. Not a great song to stretch to 13 minutes. or at least they didn't do a good job of it.

14. JoeRockhead

he also at least mentioned he was starting to work on a DVD of the 2002 tour. I would love to see/hear that. My fave of the 3 recent reunion tours.

15. So thoughts on the single disc edition? Does it capture the best highlights?

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it was less about picking the best performances and more about picking the most familiar songs for a casual fan, though there are a couple of lesser known songs on there.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Not even close. The highlights are the newer less familiar material, it's a set for casual fans. However hearing Neil's guitar playing on Johnny's Garden is a treat as is the acoustic Lee Shore where Stills plays some of the electric lead parts he does on the studio version that went unreleased till the CSN boxset in 91.

csnfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not at all

19. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Good ears! Wow!

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

If you had to choose a single disc, I think that the Starbucks compilation of primarily acoustic performances hangs together better than the mix of tracks on the regular retail single disc.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

No. Indeed since no audience tapes exist for 5 (1 Uniondale, 1 Landover and 3 Chicago) of the 10 (not 8) shows used as source , it is a reasonable assumption that the setlists for those shows on Sugar Mountain came originally from Joel Bernstein courtesy of the tapes in the archive.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  22. Thanks. I was going to pick up the full set but given that I had already preordered a number of items at amazon and barnes and noble (Criterion sale as well) can't afford it this month but could pick up the single disc set at Starbucks (and I have a Starbucks gift card so even better).

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I was at that show and boy, was it surprisingly good. Who'd've guessed an aging Canadian musician (Neil Young) would have the best perspective on U.S. ... um, shortcomings at the time?

Rockinrob and Jack like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

on the box set studio version....are you sure it's stills on the lead, young comments in the beginning of the song "if i get a scratch on, i take full responsibility" i though he was talking about the electric guitar he is playing, which has tone like the lead guitar in the song.

of course i could be totally wrong on this and you might be totally right :)

25. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Stills on lead and Young on Acoustic and Harmonica. Stills in Wooden Ships mode and it's the same style of playing as the demo on his box.

bonus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.