Most successful solo Rolling Stone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belushipower, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it Bill Wyman? Now that would really irritate the others!

2. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

It can't possibly be Darryl Jones, who has the most thankless job in the world.

zen likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Artistically, Keith. Financially, Mick.
    But both realized they had strong financial reasons to continue working together.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

honestly none of them have had successful solo careers.....which probably speaks to the beauty of the band they all play in

5. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident Thread Starter

I suppose I should have googled this first. I see that Mick and Keith have had more chart success than Bill. But for some reason the only two solo Stones songs that come to mind for me are Je suis un rock star and Come Back Suzanne!

And let's not even think about the embarrassment of Dancing In The Street.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Bill has had the more varied solo career. He gets my vote just for the outstanding Willie and the Poor Boys album. :edthumbs:

belushipower likes this.
  7. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Keef!

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  8. old school

old school Senior Member

I would say Brian Jones it was Brian who formed and named the band. Without Brian the stones would of never happened. And in the early years Brian had a vision for the band and was the true leader, so without Brian I don't think they would have made it as big as they did without Brian's vision for the band.

9. Technically I don't think they consider him a member of the Stones. I'd go forKeef.

10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Based on sales and publicity, it's Mick Jagger.
    Maybe it isn't everyone's cup of tea what he is doing solo, but at least he is taking chances and does what he wants.

Keith, on the other hand, has made records based on riff's he could have done with The Stones.

Artistically, they are best together, but I love Mick's 'Wandering Spirit' and Keith's 'Talk Is Cheap'. The rest is... meh...

11. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member

William George Perks (Bill Wyman)—if only for P*ssy on Monkey Grip.

Just sayin'.

Shawn likes this.
  12. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Keith made one great and one solid album. Mick produced an almost masterpiece and three flops with some hits within. I'd take Take is Cheap and Wandering Spirit over anything the Stones have done since Tattoo You, with Voodoo Lounge being the only notable exception.

13. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

That's what I mean. 20 years of playing for the Stones, and they still cut him out of group pictures and pretend he doesn't exist. He also doesn't get to share in the business partnership. That's pretty thankless, if you ask me...

PHILLYQ and wayneklein like this.
  14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Before the Stones, he played bass for Sting and Miles Davis, but 20 years as a hired gun only is tough.

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Ronnie Wood spent 15 years without being made a partner. He had to sell paintings to make ends meet. His quote was The Stones were a tough nut to crack.

16. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

I admit I hadn't kept track. I thought he was still a salaried member, but I guess that reflects my opinion of Mick and Keith in this sort of thing.

17. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

If you count in Ron Wood's time spent in Faces, it surely would have to be him.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He was broke due to spending habits.

The Stones did pay him a very high salary.

19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I tend to agree with this.

I listened to Wandering Spirit two days ago and was blown away, once again, by how good that album is.

That said, my all-time favorite Stones solo album may be Ron Wood's Gimme Some Neck. I've enjoyed that record since the week it was released.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I knew a guy who was a back up sax player for the Rolling Stones for years in the 80s-90s and never had anything negative to say about his treatment by the band - though Bobby Keyes unsurprisingly had an attitude that he was better than the other horn players. My friend felt he basically got to live like a king on the road. Ultimately switched to playing in Paul Simon's band as being the sole sax player there gave him a lot more creative opportunity than being a sax player not named Bobby Keyes in a 5 man horn section.

21. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

So Ronnie's solo records don't enter into the discussion? This is a pretty good resume' and equals the solo output of those other 2 guys.

I've Got My Own Album to Do (1974)
    Now Look (1975)
    Mahoney's Last Stand (1976) (with Ronnie Lane)
    Gimme Some Neck (1979)
    1234 (1981)
    Live at the Ritz (1988) with Bo Diddley
    Slide on This (1992)
    Slide on Live: Plugged in and Standing (1993)
    Not for Beginners (2001)
    Live and Eclectic (2000)
    Ronnie Wood Anthology: The Essential Crossexion (2006)
    I Feel Like Playing (2010)

ShawnX and botley like this.
  22. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Back in 1974 the press regularity lamented IORR and Smiler and suggested that Ronnie's solo album was far superior.

4o years later their view still seems pretty valid.

23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

People have forgotten about Charlie's solo efforts? Pity.

zen likes this.
  24. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I don't know if any of the Stones have really distinguished themselves as solo artists. Some of it's OK, but nothing to match the collective effort of the band. Also, it's bizarre how Keith, Ron Wood and Mick Taylor all sound like the same person when singing.

Huck Caton likes this.
  25. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I would honestly take Ron Wood's output over both Mick and Keith. I liked Keith solo albums, but Ron has an interesting solo catalog that I personally find more exciting. Mick has some fine albums but...They don't compare to Ron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.