Vinyl sales up 745% on Amazon.... news article about vinyl resurgence

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

When I see all the vinyl records Popmarket.com has for sale, I wonder? Seems like a glut. Why haven't these re-issues sold out?

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

because the retail prices are outrageous now. i guess it's a gamble they're willing to take. crappy pressings without QC + huge price tags = lots of leftovers for discounters. by that logic they can what...practically give away 2-3 records for every 1 they sell?

3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I have no problem at all with USB turntables, only people who claim the resurgence is due to buyers who have finally acknowledged the superiority of vinyl. I've talked to couple 20 somethings with their USB turntables and it's cool that they're so excited about music. It will be interesting to see how far this resurgence goes.

Enjoy your vinyls, you could be up to 4 percent by next year. It will also be interesting to see how fast and how far cd sales will sink.

bicyclops likes this.
  4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I am 27, and although I know many people my age that own at least a few albums, I am almost the only one with a system that would not be laughed at on here.

Most people are running something like an 80's plastic pioneer or kenwood turntable (at best), into a cheap silver off brand receiver and no name speakers.

Those people usually still argue the superiority of vinyl, adamantly!

On my system (thorens td145, grado red, vta sp8 tube preamp, modified vta st70 amp, klipsch chorus II speakers, along with a musical fidelity V90 dac taking lightpipe from a playstation 3 and asynch USB from a computer), my records sound great, but digital sounds great too. There are pluses and minuses with each format. I prefer vinyl because I bought a ton of great records from 2003-2010 or so for very cheap prices, and most of my collection is on vinyl, so it is more convenient, and I enjoy the overall experience.

5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Thank you, this is what I'm talking about. It's good that they're enjoying their vinyl, but we don't care about how "warm" and "lifelike" your system sounds.

EasterEverywhere and Rockinrob like this.
  6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I am curious, why do you have an emotional investment in this?

24voltsdc, vinylphile and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Morons of all kind annoy me. I'm just an excitable kinda guy.

bicyclops and Baba Oh Really like this.
  8. Scott Wheeler

How does it make one a ***** if they are of the opinion that the resurgence in vinyl is due to buyers acknowledging the superiority of vinyl?

24voltsdc and vinylphile like this.
  9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Did I say *****? I meant delusional person living in a fantasy world. My vinyl sounds best when it has cool swirly colors and glitter in it. They love the sound quality, but they must have the swirly colors and glitter. OK!

bicyclops and panasoffkee like this.
  10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Not cool to be calling names.
    I don't get why people get so emotional and reactionary about this. Throwing out silly prejudiced names like "hipsters", etc. Do you people realize how old you sound? So what if people buy vinyl? So what if they play it on crap components? Why do you care? If you think your loud. shiny, plastic, lifeless cd's sound better than vinyl, then so be it. Who cares what the actual numbers are?? There is a rise in vinyl sales...WHY does this make your blood boil so??

11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

If vinyl was superior or was making some kind of a comeback, it would be clearly obvious to everybody, and we wouldn't need people desperately trying to make a case for it to convince others.

I think that's what he means??

12. Scott Wheeler

Wow a lot of anger over this? I think I'd rather not know why at this point. It seems to run deep.

13. Baba Oh Really

I think it's because certain people are trying to build situations in other peoples minds that aren't actually really there.

showtaper likes this.
  14. Scott Wheeler

Vinyl has made a pretty remarkable comeback. whether or not it is superior is a matter of personal opinion. Clearly it is an opinion that a number of audiophiles hold. Why this reality would give cause to some to go on rants about people being morons and delusional is beyond me. I have no idea why the vinyl resurgence and other peoples' preference for vinyl would cause such anguish to others. And I don't think I really want to know why.

15. MrS

MrS Active Member

I think you're assertion that "most purchasers are playing their vinyl on USB turntables through junk systems. It's a fad" is pretty myopic and an incredibly sweeping statement.
    Quality turntable manufacturers like Rega, VPI and Project (Music Hall in the states) have seen a very sharp uptick in sales; in fact Project sell over a million turntables per annum at the moment and are expanding production to cope with demand.
    Also some USB based turntables are pretty good:
    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/index.html

I think people are re-discovering vinyl for a whole host of reasons, large physical artwork, the feeling of 'originality' , collectable artifice and yes sound quality also–which I prefer to CD.

I've noticed the re-introduction of vinyl in HMV stores in the UK (those stores will be gone before vinyl) and the increase of floorspace given to it (at the expense of CD) in my local indie shop.

Something is happening, you call it a 'fad' but to be that dismissive of an obviously rapidly increasing sales for a medium once called 'dead' is daft– more miraculous than anything.

16. MrS

MrS Active Member

Sounds like a strawman. Most people are using 20-30 year old turntables? and these same people are doing it for 'sound quality' -I guess if they think it sound superior it does?

Looking at my local Hi-Fi retailer tells a different story, he has Project turntables in his window in different colours, sells over 20 a week and rising, according to him they run out of Gyrodecs last week selling four!

Most people....

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Huh? One spin with a bad arm or damaged needle and it's over!

18. Baba Oh Really

Because every single time one of these threads gets started, it gets very annoying, with delusional comments like "if these trends continue, vinyl will become certainly the dominant physical format" etc etc... and yes, many people also slip in outrageous comments such as "well it's no wonder because vinyl is clearly superior", etc... these threads always end the same way. People "test the waters" seeing if they can make false comments without anybody challenging them - and we all know how that goes. Right?

Smiths22 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  19. MrS

MrS Active Member

Oh boy what an awful thing to say, those people (in your opinion) are delusional?
    You see life isn't like that, it's about choice and one if one person prefers the sound of vinyl-then he's right! He's not a ***** or delusional and there is no need to belittle his/her personal choice because it doesn't match your own.

I like the sound of vinyl, and I prefer it to CD, you obviously feel the opposite way–that's OK diversity in the market is good.
    Does it make me a delusional ***** who only buys for 'teh swirly colours' or just you that feel threatened by me having a different choice?

24voltsdc and Scott Wheeler like this.
  20. Baba Oh Really

Interesting. My experience is completely different. When I first heard CD - to me, it was clearly superior in just about every way, and I haven't changed my mind a single bit.

21. Baba Oh Really

This statement, in a nutshell, perfectly sums up the "tone" of these types of threads.

22. Baba Oh Really

Has any body thought about the idea that - possibly - a large portion of these records might perhaps be being purchased by Ebay sellers who don't even have a turntable? That maybe - just maybe - a large portion of these people might buy 10 copies of certain albums - sit on them for a year or two and sell them for a profit when they go out of print, and that this might possibly account for a large percentage of this increase?
    I know for a fact that it accounts for at least a certain percentage of this increase ...

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's easy to break even on flipping vinyl but it's really hard to make money on new releases. You never know what's kept in print for a long time, what slips out of print quickly and what indie stuff is a "dud" popularity wise in a couple months.

24. Baba Oh Really

Agree. Making money is difficult, period! But it's even worse in this case because vinyl collectors are absolutely notorious for being very picky and wanting to return records - as exemplified by the posts on this very forum (I'm sorry to have to do this, but I noticed when I opened the sealed record, it was slightly warped, and I would like an exchange, etc..) - I would be like... brother, it's a record!! A sealed copy, there are no refunds, brother, just enjoy your record and don't think about it!!

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

My local store will grant 1-2 returns per customer, but serial offenders get the "maybe vinyl is not for you" speech or the "a couple other stores in the city sell many of the same titles, try them" speech.

If the returned album only has a minor issue they can put it out in the used section for wholesale cost and it should sell.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.