Films you couldn't bear to finish watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Seven [Se7en]. Not a bad movie at all but I just couldn't get past Gluttony. :hurlleft:

2. The first example I thought of was Powaqqatsi - I absolutely love Koyaanisqatsi and consider that one of my all time favourite cinematic experiences (getting to see the Pruitt Igoe demolition sequence on a large screen in its original, uncropped glory is one of the most enduring memories from my formative years, leading to a passion for architecture that led to my career as a graphic designer strongly inspired by urban decay), but the "sequel" nearly put me to sleep. In fact, it probably would have if I'd not been thinking so much about review notes... I decided to write a piece around the concept that Godfrey Reggio was perhaps unintentionally celebrating poverty, which is an accusation he later addressed during an extra on the 2002 DVD release. Baraka from the same cinematographer is a far better unofficial follow-up, while I can at least appreciate Naqoyqatsi for trying to incorporate modern technological elements into the mix. Even now, the second in the Qatsi trilogy is a challenge for me to get through, and my poor long suffering other half doesn't get the appeal at all, equating the entire genre to something that probably makes a lot more sense when viewed under the influence! I secretly have my fingers crossed for a 4K transfer of the original as that would automatically become a demonstration title and reason to upgrade our television, but I digress.

SMcFarlane likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How do you know it wasn't a bad movie if you bailed in the first 15 minutes? :)

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess you don't keep banging your head against the wall for 90mins if it starts hurting after 15. :D

sparkydog likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just thought it was funny that you decided it's a good movie when you barely watched any of it! ;)

I LOVE that movie. "Se7en" is my favorite movie of the 1990s:

http://www.dvdmg.com/se7enbr.shtml

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It wasn't me that said that. I just offered a logical explanation.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Didn't you know that going into it?

8. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

I haven't been able to get past the opening voice over of 300. Twice.

Collector Man likes this.
  9. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The Tree of Life is a magnifivent film. IF ONLY Hollywood could /would make more films of the same calibre, instead of its roll -out of Transformers-like dreck.

conjotter, Synthfreek and Rocker like this.
  10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Any of the Lord Of The Rings. I read the books a lot as a kid, but the movies were just too much of a snooze fest for me. I really did want to like them, but it did not happen.

TimGoodwin likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I find both unpalatable for different reasons. You reminded me that I also couldn't finish the first of transformers flicks (suffice to say, I didn't bother with the subsequent ones).

12. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Allow me to re-phrase that: I thought that what I made it through seemed well-written, acted and directed. Buckets of puke aren't my thing, however.
    I said that just hoping that you'd add a link to one of your reviews. :cry:
    About the Gluttony scene? Nope!

13. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Great post. I love 1 & 2 of the trilogy. 3 not so much. I saw Koyaanisqatsi in Toronto in the late 80's at a concert hall; Philip Glass and ensemble played the soundtrack live. That was a great experience. I think the soundtrack for #2 is even better but haven't seen it performed live. As for viewing under the influence??? No way! The trilogy though definitely isn't for everyone. I was so blown away by Koyaanisqatsi that I made my parents watch it. I think they must have thought I was on something!!!!

14. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Ha! I liked the films but could never get very far in the books. It's just not my kind of thang. I don't often bail from a book but the first LOTR was one of the few.

15. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I Spit On Your Grave
    Blood Feast

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I walked out of that ScarJo scifi thing, Under the Skin. I realized that I just utterly didn't care what was happening or why and it was dark and unpleasant and it was sunny outside. Last year, I walked out of Spring Breakers, which while visually compelling, was full of completely distasteful characters.

17. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Get Shorty.

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?- Coens at their hokiest.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This is the third part of a trilogy of talking. You must not have known what you were getting into. I think the 3 films are great, but I can see how watching them out of order might be a shock/turnoff. If you only got to see the true love of your life every 9 years you'd be talky too.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The Hurt Locker
    Inside Llewyn Davis-Coens at their worst.

21. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Cameron Crowe's Singles. A film I thought would reflect my generation but was just a slimy attempt by the writer/director to be up to date and hip.

I wanted to kick the TV in. It seemed like an opportunitistic cash-in by a guy who couldn't pull it off.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  22. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

You're right, I should give the first one a try. I'm normally pretty good with films like this (I'm thinking 3 Colours which I loved).

23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Ted. I didn't finish it.

24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The only movie I ever walked out of the theater over was Caddyshack II...horrible. Last weekend I fast forwarded through good chunks of The Wolf of Wall Street. Would have been a good 1.75 hour movie. 3 hours was too much. The seen where the vintage Lemon ludes kicked in was hilarious though.

25. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Naked Lunch. After 35 minutes, I stopped the DVD player because it was so strange. And Magnolia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.