Opinions on 1997 Remaster of Rush's Signals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by neonknight5150, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neonknight5150

neonknight5150 Member Thread Starter

I want to buy Rush's Signals album on CD. What is the verdict on the sound quality of the 1997 remaster? From what I've seen, it seems most members here prefer the original un-remastered CD and the MFSL release. However I do not have the luxury have tracking down such versions, so I'm afraid the 1997 master is my only choice. I know the 1997 master will have some gentle peak limiting, but I am unsure about the EQ job. Repulsive? Decent?

2. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

It's like a lot of 90's remasters....thinned out significantly compared to it's original. To my ears, anyway.

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Within the last year, I paid around five bucks or less for an Atomic pressing. The Rush Atomics are out there in abundance. Don't settle for the 1997 editions.

Dave and Jack_Straw like this.
  5. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I grew up on first US vinyl pressing. That said, I love the Sector 3 remaster. You get 16/44.1 & 24/96 (in 2.0 & 5.1). The Weapon--a big soundstage track to begin with--sounds even more full and nuanced. Not brickwalled to my ears either.

6. kevin5brown

IMO, the Signals 5.1 remix is the worst of the 5.1 mixes that have been done for Rush. Not aggressive enough, too much reverb added, the vocals are recessed, etc. .And I think that's a shame, because that and Grace Under Pressure are my two favorites by them.

The dynamics are reduced for all the Sector discs vs the original CDs.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rubbish, Garbage, Trash, Unmusical, Boosted treble and more. Unlistenable for many ears. Original mastering superior, more natural sounding, superior dynamic range.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Atomic and MFSL discs are worth having.

btomarra likes this.
  9. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

The remaster sounds fine to me.:shrug:

Here is the listing for the original CD on Amazon.

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I am baffled OP. What are you going to do if someone says something like this?
    Just never listen to the album again?

If you really can't be bothered to track down the original mastering, there are many worse remasters than the Rush remasters (despite what McLover says). So just get the remaster. If you hate it as much as McLover, maybe you'll be motivated to take on the daunting task of locating an original ;)

11. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

This place certainly has a thing for hyperbole. The remaster's pretty much fine, probably one of the best out of the series. A little compressed compared to the original but far from brickwalled, and doesn't have the harsh top end some of the other '97 discs have.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I may have gone a bit overboard on the hyperbole, but the old CD mastering still has better tonality and dynamic range. And I am a Rush fan for the record. Signals is a favorite of mine. Actually, the 1997 remastering of Signals was better than the rest of the series.

13. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

I'm fine with the remaster, as I am with that whole series.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  14. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

If it's your only option, then the 1997 remaster will provide you with an enjoyable listening experience.

15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Those and I quite enjoy the Sector 3 release as well.

The 1997 remaster is the bottom of the Signals food chain in my opinion. Though "louder," the low end is not as warm as what you would be used to.

DiabloG likes this.
  16. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

I'll recommend the Sector 3 remastering for the original album. Very clean, lots of headroom, and better bottom end. Much fuller, yet clearer sound. Rips well. 5.1 iteration is more of an acquired taste, with different vocal takes and new mix.

17. Olasimbo

Olasimbo Active Member

The 1997 remasters are superb, much better than the Sectors ones. They are not pushed too loud, maintaining a lot of dynamics and fullyness, and with no over treble. They are very good remasterings! These Sector ones are pushed too loud as the masterings of today and sound like static to my ears, you should avoid them and keep it with the 1997 ones.

18. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The original Atomic CDs are easy to find for reasonable prices. Why settle for an inferior 1997 remaster even if it's not as bad as some of the other remasters?

19. Olasimbo

Olasimbo Active Member

They are not inferior IMO. They sound more powerful and space filling than the original masters while still preserving most of the dynamics, with no audible clipping or noise reduction artifacts. Very worth having it.

20. kevin5brown

The '97's are compressed, and they all have (too) tweaked EQ IMO. They all sound too "brittle" to me. Too digital. To much of a polished sheen. The '97's are fatiguing to listen to loudly for any length of time.

The original Anthems and Atomics sound way better to me. More balanced and smooth and powerful. And they all come alive when cranked. I get a headache when I crank the '97's. But those early Anthems and Atomics? I can't listen to them loud enough. They all beg to be turned up louder. :)

21. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Well, this one is kinda in between as far as the remasters go. Far from great, but not horrible like others. Like others have said just stick with the Atomics. You won't kick yourself later with all the crappy remasters you have gotten over the years.

22. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

I like the MFSL, even if The Weapon is an undermix.

ShallowMemory and progrocker like this.
  23. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

My favorite is the Sector remaster. The 97 is not bad for Signals (but 97 remasters tend to be terrible for 2112 through Moving Pictures, IMO).

The original CD mastering brings out some negative aspects of the recording, which for me are a slight dullness and fog. The Sector remaster lifts things up out of the muck and gives it some life and vitality, though at the expense of reduced dynamic range, but not terribly so.

If you need that original album sound in CD format, I believe it was determined via hard work from Ambassador and others that the Japan AMCY was equal to the current SHM-CD currently available for sale from cdjapan. If I'm not mistaken the sound of this mastering was favored by several members of the forum.

btw - the SHM-CD of Power Windows is also still available and highly recommended. It shares the same mastering as the AMCY and 25.8p CDs. Conversely, the Sector version of Power Windows pushes the recording into almost unlistenable territory for me. Lifeson's guitar tone on this album and all those new midi trigger effects are jarring at those levels of loudness.

24. Olasimbo

Olasimbo Active Member

Basically all of the Sectors remasters have something jarring at high levels of loudness. That's why I prefer the 97 ones. As said here in the topic, the original CD's sound too thin and foggy even when cranked waay up.

25. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I have the WG Atomic and the 97 remaster and prefer the WG. Has the sound that sends me back in time.

ShallowMemory likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.