Hit The Deck, 1955 blu ray now showing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wife surprised me with this blu ray today!

"Hit the Deck is a 1955 American musical film directed by Roy Rowland and starring Jane Powell, Tony Martin, Debbie Reynolds, Walter Pidgeon, Vic Damone, Gene Raymond, Ann Miller, and Russ Tamblyn. It was shot in CinemaScope."

"Hit the Deck, a 1955 musical extravaganza, probably would have been a bigger hit had it been released just five years earlier.

With its tale of sailors on shore leave who end up putting on a show and falling in love it was very much a thing of Hollywood's past. At the same time, its emphasis on younger performers -- particularly Debbie Reynolds, Russ Tamblyn and Vic Damone -- and a prominent role for jukebox favorite Kay Armen, pointed to the Hollywood of the future.

Within ten years producer Joe Pasternak, who had made stars of Deanna Durbin and Jane Powell in Hollywood's golden years, would be guiding Elvis Presley through some of his best later musicals. By that time, the film's cast would have moved on to non-musical roles or stage and nightclub work as the traditional Hollywood musical came to an end.

But for the almost two hours that Hit the Deck runs, the film is a testament to the kind of razzmatazz that made even the weakest of MGM's musicals surefire crowd pleasers."

Debbie Reynolds & Jane Powell, yum. Wonderfully lovely gals.

Haven't seen this in decades! What a wonderful surprise from my wife. Pizza is hot out of the oven and I'm ready to view!!!!

The blu ray looks stunning, simply wonderful and the sound is clean and crisp. Colors just pop right off the screen, it is incredibly clean, clear and sharp. flesh tones come off PERFECT. And the many stage sets and costumes look nothing short of stunning.

I've always liked Walter Pidgeon too. (ever since Forbidden Planet and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea movie) :agree:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Devils Funhouse Scene is great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Pizza... :drool: (and Jane and Debbie, but anyway) - I envy. :D

Pasternak tended to produce the... let's say more mellow efforts and that's not the best, but it has its appeals at times and like It's Always Fair Weather, perhaps to be the more appreciated in hindsight as the later end of an era. Seems just when stereo mag sound and widescreen come in to better support musicals, the "golden age" is gone, dagnabbit.

GuildX700 and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.