HDTracks News (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I got the JB 24/192 last night too. Sound good -- I'm happy.

For some reason, I don't have any of my CDs on hand to compare... but I think it sounds about on par "mastering-wise" as what I remember. Gritty, dirty 60s soul, not hi-fi stuff for sure. But the hi-res allows you to hear everything. Reverb, horns, the snap of the snare sounds really good.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Mij Retrac likes this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Don't rule out the stereo mix until you've heard the SACD. The HDTracks version didn't do much for me either.

art and bonnerj like this.
  3. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

Thanks. I've been considering that one as well!

4. Pants Party

Yes. The APO SACD (mastered by Kevin Gray) of Dusty in Memphis is perfect. That's my stereo version, no contest.

I do think like the mono mix better -- at the moment anyway! The density adds to the ambience. It sounds more concentrated. It sounds older (in a good way) with more feeling. I would bet its a dedicated mix, but that's merely a hunch.

Strangely I don't mind the HDtracks version's brightness on the mono -- whereas it was too much on the stereo.

art and bonnerj like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Dusty in mono sounds fantastic. The stereo versions I've had include the Rhino (IIRC) CD reissue with the bonus tracks, the Australia CD from 1990 or thereabouts (very nice sounding!) and the Kevin Gray AP remaster, on vinyl. And I think I prefer the mono mix to all of them.

sunspot42 and Pants Party like this.
  6. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Upcoming releases this week on HDtracks...

Eric Clapton& Friends - The Breeze (An Appreciation of JJ Cale)
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hypnotic Eye
    Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
    Theory of a Deadman - Savages
    The Young Rascals - Groovin' (Mono)
    James Brown - Get On Up - The James Brown Story (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    ADELITAS WAY - Stuck
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Mardi Gras
    Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind
    Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela & Gustavo Dudamel - The Liberator / Libertador (Original Soundtrack)
    Maria Joao Pires, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra & Daniel Harding - Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 4
    Borusan Istanbul Philharmonic Orchestra - Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade, Op. 35
    Ralph Sharon Trio - The Ralph Sharon Trio (Remastered 2014)

And more!

7. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Still hoping the Allman Bros show up tomorrow...

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Has "Music of My Mind" ever had a HiRes release of any kind?

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

None that I'm aware of. I've got the Motown remaster from a decade or so back and think it sounds great for the vintage - better than Talking Book in some ways. I've never fully gotten into the album as much as I have his later works, so I don't know if I'm in the market for this or not.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There's the Audio Fidelity gold CD, but no hi-rez that I know of.

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Note: La Roux is available at 96/24. Electronic/Dance Grammy winners last year. I am thinking of getting it just because ... :uhhuh::unhunh:

I will get "Music of My Mind" whenever there is a sale. I have always liked this a bit more than "Talking Book".

12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm up for Music of My Mind as well. I also see that Pro Studio Masters now has Secret Life of Plants which probably means that HDTracks will get it soon. It will be the first record I ever was involved with to have a hi-res release. I'll get it for sure and compare it to my studio tapes from those sessions.

OTOH, I was at a session for Songs In The Key of Life, which did have a hd release, but I was just a visitor so it doesn't really count.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Anyone been able to find Groovin' on the site?

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oooh. I had a friend 20 years ago who said I'd love Secret Life Of Plants, but I've never picked it up. It was an early digital recording wasn't it? Are these "high-res" releases taken from analog safeties or something? Or did they use the original deck to play back the master, then re-digitize it as high-def audio? A lot of those old decks had linearity issues with their A/D converters - which they compensated for by having matching D/A converters for each channel - so that would likely be the best option, even if it introduces a single analog "generation".

15. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Disappointing that Hypnotic Eye is only 48/24 ...

16. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Still pretty good and much better than redbook. I might have expected higher resolution from Mr. Petty though.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The resolution isn't the selling feature....the fact the DR is vastly superior is the important difference from the redbook.

Centurion and Solace like this.
  18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

IIRC, Mojo was 24/48, too.

19. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I agree DR is more important but still it's disappointing that we can't have both DR and resolution. This is a new album so why not go all the way and give us the best possible SQ?

robertawillisjr likes this.
  20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Isn't it 15% off right now?

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Ask Ryan the producer...he's in the Tom Petty- Hypnotic Eye thread all the time. Try to ask nicely though...a few members don't know how to ask him a challenging question without being a butt about it. :)

22. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

The Tom Petty sounds very good, and it's a real treat to have access to a properly mastered version, even if it isn't at 96 or 192.

23. Pants Party

Weird. I've noticed quite a few "new albums" being only available in 24/48k. I suspect there's either a commonly used studio or a mastering facility that is setup with these specs. Time for an update fellas!!

That said, 24/48 is much, much better than 16/44k. No question.

24. Pants Party

Yes, Music of My Mind is 15% with the code. I almost got it last last night -- the samples sounded soooo good. Still might. But my Audio Fidelity gold disc is more than likely better mastered (as has been the case with the other Stevie titles offered by both retailers). But the deep n' wide resolution of 24/192 would be really cool.

:sweating:trying to hold out...

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

It's most definitely not a digital recording. I can't say about the mix, but I have a few analog mixes for sure which were made from analog 2" tape.

In some ways I prefer my rough mixes to the 192k HDTracks versions, though they're sparser and missing a few mix elements that made it to the final mix. That said, they also contain some mix elements that didn't make the final mix.

Oddly, my files are only 48k-24b, yet they seem to have more depth and a more homogenized sound. I guess part of that is that they're not eq'd like the final mix. I haven't listened to much more than the first 3 songs, since those are the only three I have rough mixes of, but so far I'm a tad disappointed. It's possible that it is a digital mix and that might explain my impressions.

I'll listen more and firm up my impressions at another listening session.

jfeldt and Mij Retrac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.