Jackson Browne song Late for the Sky: who played electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tuttle, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident Thread Starter

On Jackson Browne's song Late for the Sky, who played electric guitar? Was it Jackson Browne or Nils Lofgren? It's lovely!

2. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

If it's lovely, I'm betting it's David Lindley. He definitely played on that album.

Edit: went and listened to it since it's been eons since I heard it. Gotta be Lindley.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

David Lindley?

4. tuttle

Ah, right, probably. My mind must be fuzzy today, not sure why my memory told me that Nils Lofgren played on that album.

Does Jackson Browne play much lead electric guitar himself?

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The guitar sure sounds like Lindley's work. He has an uncanny knack for capturing the emotion in Browne's songs. I absolutely love his work. When I saw Browne recently on his seemingly never-ending Solo Acoustic tour, I really missed Lindley's playing. It's as much a part of Jackson's signature sound as anything.

6. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Looking back on Jackson's album credits, he mostly plays acoustic guitar, and piano. But on some albums they say he also plays electric. They never state that he had done a solo. But with player like David Lindley, Danny Kortchmar, Waddy Wachtel, Kevin Dukes, Albert Lee, Rick Vito, and Mike Cambell and Steve Lukather and thousands of others!!!
    I'd think there not much call for him to solo, while also writing, singing, producing, and playing piano and acoustic guitar. But if the mood struck him, I'm sure he took a crack at it. I just don't known how many are on album. He did play slide on "The Road and The Sky," on Late... and World In Motion on that album. So... sometimes yes!.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i've seen him live quite a few times, he really plays little lead guitar, almost always leaving it up to his hired gun for that tour.

he really didn't do a lot of lead playing or picking on the solo tour, in fact, the night i saw him on the solo tour he only used an electric on 'running on empty' and nothing else.

8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Even the songwriters who can play guitar pretty well and did/do play quite a bit of electric at shows (for example, Dylan, Warren Zevon, Graham Parker, etc.) generally leave it to serious players on recordings.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  9. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

It was David Lindley. I got to see Jackson with his excellent band, featuring David on lead guitar, lap steel & fiddle, perform here in Atlanta on the 1974 tour in support of the Late for the Sky album. Bonnie Raitt opened the concert. The live performance of the title song that night was even more chilling than the recorded version, which is incredible.

keyXVII and belardd like this.
  10. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I just listened to this album the other night. I have several vinyl copies that I picked up along the way, and they all sound great, with TML (The Mastering Lab) in the deadwax. But one early copy (with the Columbus Circle address on the label) sounds particularly stunning, and that's the one I listened to. Just amazing sound quality. One of my favorite albums. And David Lindley on lead.

11. tuttle

Thanks guys!

12. BayouTiger

Wow, I've always struggled to find a decent copy of any of the first three. I always find them to be somewhat flat, maybe I'm looking for something that's absolutely perfect and worthy of the songs.

While we're on Jackson Browne, why are the more recent albums so hard to find? I've been looking for "I'm Alive" for some time and never run across it. One of my favorites since The Pretender

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"i'm alive" is just fantastic. heart-wrenching too. he just lays it all right out there for everyone to see. and "sky blue and black" just might be his best song.

Craig likes this.
  14. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I found a couple of copies of "Late for the Sky" at the Princeton Record Exchange for like $2.99 each -- in excellent condition, and both early pressings. I got the first album off ebay for maybe $15, but it is a white label first pressing in the fake burlap cover, in perfect condition. Sound quality on that is amazing, with super deep bass and excellent clarity. I had to really search to find a good sounding, clean copy of "Everyman," but then I ended up with 2 or 3 good ones. I think I went through 5 copies from ebay that I returned because they were trashed (advertised as NM of course). It took some doing to get one that wasn't kind of muddy, but when you find a good one, it sounds excellent. It takes a bit of work. I think that in this case the early pressings of the first 3 albums really do sound better. Look for labels without the "W" and make sure they have TML in the deadwax.

15. BayouTiger

I've had the same (lack of) luck with "For Everyman". Even prompted me to make a thread on another board asking, "When is it time to give up on Vinyl?" Didn't mean all vinyl, just a particular title. I've bought at least a half dozen copies of the first three albums, and still don't have a great copy of any of them and listen to the cd's instead. I don't think I would buy another unless it was perfect. It looks like the new edition of LFTS is CD only and that's a shame. I bought the "Mastered for iTunes" copy just as a $10 experiment to see what it sounds like. I'll likely get the HDtracks version.

16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Wasn't 'I'm Alive' a very limited vinyl pressing from Germany? I remember it at the time but never picked it up so I just play my CD also German as it turns out. 'I'm Alive' is such a great record and it's amazing that nobody has done a vinyl reissue. I would far rather that Rhino would do it however than Jackson's own Inside Recordings due to the very bad pressing job that was done on 'Time the Conqueror' some years back.

Speaking of 'LFTS', I really have to look for an original U.S. copy. I have 3 Japan LPs and a German one. It (the Japan Warner Pioneer press) seems to have some tape hiss. It's one of my favourite records of all time and it would be great to be able to source a near mint/mint first U.S. press if it sounds as good as the OP says.

17. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Wow, would have loved to see that show!

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

lindley toured with browne a couple summers ago, it was a very very good show.

20. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yes it was, I bought two copies when it came out and 'generously' I gave a friend of mine my second copy. I don't think I would do it today (ha!ha!). There are two albums I would love to see reissued, I'm Alive and John Fogerty's Blue Moon Swamp (which was never issued on vinyl).

JG

21. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

It reminds me of a time I was in Dublin (around 1992/93 I'd say) doing some business at the Four Courts which settled up early. That gave me the opportunity to head into town proper to look for some records. There was a Golden Discs branch just off O'Connell Street (Talbot Street maybe?) and I saw four copies of Lyle Lovett's 'Joshua Judges Ruth' being sold off in the bargain bin for small money. I bought one copy but I have always regretted not buying all four given the demand that there was/is for this album on vinyl!!! There is an 'On Tour in June' sticker on my copy giving details of various shows. The Dublin show was at the Stadium on the 19th June.

There is probably more music that you would ideally like on the 'I'm Alive' vinyl though I'd imagine, for a single disc? That is probably why I did not get it at the time (silly boy!) although the CD is quite good. I played it at the weekend.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If it wasn't Lindley it must have been G-d himself :)

23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I also thought the early vinyl albums were just inherently muddy and dull, but that's not true. They must be the most variable in sound quality I've ever encountered - no idea why. I scored a WLP of "Late For The Sky" and it just knocked me over how great it sounds, like a different recording! I also found a Canadian pressing of the 1st album that sounds great. "For Everyman" still eludes me...

dee likes this.
  24. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I picked up Joshua Judges Ruth for a ridiculously low price as well. Another album I passed up a second copy of was Roger Waters Amused to death, there were two copies and I mulled over the idea of buying the two of them because they were quite cheap at the time, what a mistake!

I didn't make that mistake when I saw two mint copies of Late For The Sky with TML on them, I snapped them up for about $8 each!

Speaking about David Lindley last week I picked up a UK pressing of Win This Record which had an extra LP of live stuff on it, I never ever saw that one before, 10 euros it cost me!

JG

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They just put out a "40th Anniversary Edition" of Late for the Sky, but it doesn't contain any bonus material. I'm assuming it was remastered. Anyone hear it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.