Member posts Amazon deal link, I use it and see him as ship-to option for my order

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

This is weird. A member posted a link to an Amazon deal here. I thought it was a good deal, so I thought I would use the link to place an order. As I went through the checkout process, I saw this member come up as an option for a ship-to address. This member does not use his name in his member ID, but his name showed up in the shipping option. It said, "Full address hidden for privacy", but it provided his hometown, which matched the hometown he has here on record. Beneath that, it said "Gift Registry Address". When viewing the item in my cart, I saw "You added this from ______________'s Wish List, but someone has already bought it from that list." Weird.

The URL he provided was very long. I thought the inclusion of his address might have been tied to the excess characters in the URL, so I emptied my cart. Then I took his URL and removed everything past the ASIN. His ship-to still showed up as an option. Maybe it was cached. Weird.

Have any of you experienced this before?

2. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I've seen that too, via a link a member provided for the Beatles mono vinyl box, IIRC. I suspect the URL posted originated from that user's Amazon wishlist.

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Weird indeed; never happened to me. I would PM the guy just to let him know.

4. Seminole

Seminole Forum Resident

Yes, this happened when I clicked on a link to Amazon for the Kinks, Lola Deluxe Edition CD. A little spooky before I made the connection to this forum, and realized what occurred.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I just saw this happen with an Amazon link someone posted recently. When I added the item to my cart, I could see the person's full name (and Amazon says above the cart the item is added from [Full Name]'s wishlist). Not sure how to shake the link to the other person's wishlist.

Bumping thread to see if people have more information on why this happens, and how to avoid it.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

An Amazon link should be very simple:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/XXXXXXXXXX for example.

Anything past the ASIN number is referral info and other stuff you don't need and may not want.

I have seen all kinds of bad links on these boards over time. Mostly I think they're mistakes. Who know if sometimes someone's trying to pull a fast one. But in any event, you should check the links to make sure they're vanilla before you use or post them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.