My Copy of "All Things Must Pass" Melted!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MichaelXX2, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Beware of sunlight.

JL6161 likes this.
  2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

This is on our porch whenever a record shipment is expected in the summer. Made from a roll of aluminum coated bubble insulation from Home Depot.

[​IMG]

3. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Well even if it was not left in sunlight at your home.. the package may have been sitting in the uverheated truck for hours.. I just never buy LPs via mail in the late Summer. No point in taking the high risk of them being damaged in transit by the extreme heat.
    Even if sent via air, the container could sit on the tarmac blistering in the sun. Just not worth the risk IMO.
    So I simply never buy records during July and August unless locally.

norman_frappe likes this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Kudos to your seller, who could very readily have declined to refund any amount, as he wasn't at fault here. When I lived in Texas, I didn't buy LPs during the summer months for reasons of the oppressive heat.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

In the summer.

JL6161 likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow. If I were a mailman I wouldn't go near that thing. I'd think you were Dr. No expecting a shipment of plutonium.

7. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Over here you could definitely claim from Royal Mail for this. I don't know what the legal position in the USis, but would it be worth investigating? It's such a shame and is such ridiculous negligent behaviour on the part of the postal service.

8. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

That sucks the record was ruined. I don't order anything during the summer months that could be ruined on boiling hot trucks.

9. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Well I guess it passed? ;) Any clues in the hot wax?

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I found a delivery of an amp sitting in the middle of my driveway, out in the open. I guess the postman decided it was too heavy to carry to the door, the lazy bastard.

11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You Guys are BRUTAL!!! o_O

LMAO!!
    the beave

sunspot42 and Cactus Bob like this.
  12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

That doesn't sound right. I don't see how this was the seller's fault at all. You should have gone after the deliverer (No, not Moses). Sure, it was great that the seller gave you a refund, but man, that's what insurance is for. You caught a break, because there is no way that if I was the seller, and knew the record was great when it left my hands, that I would have issued a refund.

Cheepnik, Scott222C, Alan2 and 2 others like this.
  13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Sender should have spent the couple extra bucks at the post office for you to sign acknowledging delivery for something that valuable. I sell tubes here, and I require signature verification on orders over a few hundred dollars to cover both myself and the buyer to verify delivery. I wouldn't have even considered shipping a 5K item without some form of signature acknowledging the item showed up intact and made it to you as proof of receipt... :shake:

Ash76 likes this.
  14. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

This is a sad story. Not only for your loss but the loss of one more great piece of vinyl. I once had an excellent Mailman who was nice enough to always put the record box between my screen door and front door so the sun wouldn't beat directly on it. Still they could get warmer than I would like. I try not to order any records during the months of June, July and August unless I know I'll be home when they are delivered.

15. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I have an amazing mail lady who took a shine to our black labrador retriever and seems to realize what high temps can do to LPs. She will ring the doorbell if she has any LPs for me and leaves them out of the sun with a note, even, if we are not home. Amazing.

Alan2 likes this.
  16. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Good luck getting the federal government to even acknowledge there is a problem, let alone pay for it lol

Blue Cactus likes this.
  17. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

To be fair, I'd have a hard time figuring out if I should blame the USPS or Phil Spector.

[I kid; I kid Phil because I love]

Stone Turntable and BuddhaBob like this.
  18. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Not knowing your situation, is it possibleto have future deliveries delivered to your work address? That's what I generally do.

TLMusic and BuddhaBob like this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's absolutely correct. If you run a Vinyl Flattener for too long, the record will be perfectly flat, but the groves will show damage (typically a mottled look)

20. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

This makes me even more certain that what you heard was not caused by heat. As the records weren't warped, it would take just the right conditions to get them hot enough to melt the groove but not warp the vinyl.

Nothing against the seller, but if I had a record I knew was iffy and I could sell it, I might send it and see if I got a complaint. If I did, I'd just refund the money. I'd only be out the Media Mail shipping which isn't much. Whether he throws it away because it's bad, or you throw it away because it's bad, it's still getting thrown away. This way, he might have made money by selling it instead.

It is a no hits-no runs-no errors kind of deal so everything all worked out in the end. I just suspect the record was bad all along.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Do you really think these mail carriers are going to think about what's in every package they deliver? They don't have time to place everything in the shade, and if they did then someone would complain about bird droppings on the box. Those records also sit inside very hot vehicles on the way to your home. If you have a rural carrier then it is going to be sitting in the back seat for a few hours with the sun shining in on it. Life's not fair. We're to blame not the driver, unless the carrier threw it out the window on the way by and it landed in a puddle. These are the risks we all take ordering records by mail.

Scott222C likes this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Now that's a dark view of humanity!

23. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

He's so fine.

Trashman, forthlin, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  24. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Agreed.

Watch out now, take care
    Beware of the thoughts that linger
    Winding up inside your head
    The hopelessness around you
    In the dead of night

25. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo Thread Starter

You know, the first email he sent back to me when I complained about the problem was "Would a 1/2 refund sound fair to you?" Maybe he was trying to see if I would be stupid enough to accept a partial refund for an item that's 85% worthless. I can think of better ways to rob the innocent though, like stealing an old lady's purse. Maybe then he would net more than $25 for his crime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.