So I am going to play every 45 in my collection....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Air Supply-Sweet Dreams/Don't Turn Me Away
    Sweet Dreams has a really nice string arrangement that makes it feel as if the song is floating above the listener. With that being said, it is not a great record. The breakdown before the guitar solo is cool and I like the a Capella part coming out of the solo is a nice tough.
    "Don't Turn Me Away" was also the B-Side of the last entry.
    [​IMG]

smokeverbs and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  2. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Is that the US sleeve of this? Been looking for it for awhile.

aravel likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Air Supply-Even the Nights Are Better/One Step Closer
    I remember this song being EVERYWHERE! This just sounds like the soundtrack to a day (or night) spent in 1982 with your girlfriend.
    "One Step Closer" features some light electric guitar to accompany the usual love story lyrics. A catchy song but probably too uptempo to be considered for an "A" side.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Yes it is! Seems the photo shoot also yielded the picture on the UK sleeve for "You Are the One" as well.

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

cool, if u have a scanner, is there any way you could upload the scans of that single and the sleeve to 45cat? I think that is the only A-ha US release missing, been trying to track it down for a year or two.

http://www.45cat.com/artist/aha/us

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Air Supply-Two Less Lonely People in the World/What Kind of Girl
    Some crackles on my copy of this....Never really cared for this song and I am not surprised that it didn't chart very high. Reminds me melodically of "Every Woman in the World"
    "What Kind of Girl" sounds like a lot of late 70's/early 80's soft pop. Could easily be David Gates.
    [​IMG]

7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I suppose it should be "Two fewer", but that might have been harder to sing.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

9. Juggsnelson

Good call! The title seems to infer that they are still lonely, just to a lesser extent!

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

awesome, thanks!

11. Juggsnelson

Air Supply-Making Love Out of Nothing At All/Late Again (live)
    My copy looks flawless but sounds like crap! Jim Steinman and Air Supply are a match made in heaven. Big, bombastic, sweeping, over the top, theatrical love songs. This song almost even "rocks" in parts. Some nice bass lines here and there too.
    "Late Again" (live) is a song I have never heard before but it sounds pretty rocking for an Air Supply tune. Nice rhythm section (particularly the bass) and the vocals from graham Russel sound rough in a good way.

smokeverbs likes this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Picture....
    [​IMG]

13. Juggsnelson

Air Supply-Just As I Am/Crazy Love (non-LP)
    The wind was leaving the sails of the Air Supply hit bandwagon at this point. Still, this is a solid enough tune. Co=Written by Dick Wagner...certainly not the guitar player right?
    "Crazy Love" a non-LP track is "ehh". Same old formula but it is running thin....
    [​IMG]

14. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

My copy is the same way! The thing is mint visually, but whew... I like "Late Again"...was pretty shocked the first time I heard it.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

Last call for Air Supply!!!!!
    Air Supply-The Power of Love/Sunset
    So many popular versions of this song....Celine's is the biggest I guess but I always liked Laura Branigan's. This version starts with some tepid sounding synths. For such a warm message, the music sounds so cold. Where are those lush string arrangements when you need them?? This could have/should have been huge for them....
    "Sunset" is a more classic sounding Air Supply song.
    [​IMG]

16. Juggsnelson

I hate when that happens! I guess they must all be like that! Too bad...I was hoping for some great dynamics when the song takes off but I guess my CD will have to do for this one. Yeah, "Late Again" was a surprise to me too! It seems that live the band cut loose a little more and the vocals still sounded great but in an edgier way. Good stuff.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Jane Aire & the Belvederes-I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten/Heat of the City UK Sleeve
    The beginning lyrics reminded me of "Wishing" by Flock of Seagulls. "Yankee Wheels" by them is a better song but this is a pretty darn good song too. It grows on you.
    "Heat of the City"...not to be confused with Stiff label mate Nick Lowe's "Heart of the City" is a Blondie-esque shuffle with some sweet sax. Nice smokey vocals with a 1940's vibe.
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  18. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Love this one. One of my favorites of her time and place.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Man, I really could have gone on a nice Stiff Records run right there but up next instead we have country superstars Alabama. Considering how many hits these guys had, it is amazing that I don't know more of their songs. Then again, I only have 3 of their 45's....
    Alabama-Feels So Right/See the embers, Feel the flame
    "Feels So Right" is a nice country ballad. I remember hearing this one now and again and it is definitely my favorite song by the band although I thought I liked it more.
    "See the embers...." is more upbeat. 80's country to a tee here. Some of my relatives could not get enough Alabama, Kenny Rogers, Oak Ridge Boys, etc... back in the 80's.
    [​IMG]

smokeverbs likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Part of the challenge of doing this is that this 45 makes me want to hear more of Jane and the Stiff Records crew! Love the pic of Jane on the sleeve too! Hard to go from this to Alabama.....

21. Juggsnelson

Alabama-Love in the First Degree/Ride the Train
    I will give them this...these are well crafted, catchy songs. Nice harmony vocals. I like it.
    Whoa! This is a little more classic sounding. Fiddle and harmonica....not pop oriented at all.
    [​IMG]

smokeverbs likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Alabama-Take Me Down/Lovin You Is Killin Me
    Their second highest pop hit at #18. The music slightly reminds me of "Keepin the Faith" by Billy Joel.
    "Lovin You..." has a slightly harder edge to it yet it is very mainstream sounding. Better than the A side IMHO....
    [​IMG]

smokeverbs likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

The Alarm-Strength/Majority UK Poster Sleeve
    A very Edge-like guitar tone on this and a pulsing bass line out of Adam Clayton's playbook. Yet not a U2 rip off to these ears.... These guys never took off in the USA for some reason. This is a cool song.
    "Majority" is another good song. These two songs make me want to seek out more.
    [​IMG]

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

The Alarm-Where Were you Hiding when the Storm Broke?/Pavilion Steps UK Sleeve
    I little more Wales sounding on this single. This actually came out before my previous posting "Strength".
    "Pavilion Steps" is a bit droning....but I guess that is on purpose considering the subject matter.
    [​IMG]

JoeRockhead and Mr Bass like this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Morris Albert-Feelings/This World Today Is a Mess
    I am not as burned out on this song as some people I know. It is just fine with me. I never need to hear it on purpose but I don't hate it either.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.