a2d recommendations for needle dropping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KenJ, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

My plan is to digitize analog records with 24-bit setting and -6db peaks following by amplification in post processing which seems to be the driver for 24-bit.

I am currently digitizing in 16-bit with my ASUS mother board's RealTek ALC1150 motherboard audio. I have a 24-bit ASIO capable install of Audacity but seem to need a better A2D converter w/ASIO.

Options seem to be $100-$3,000 and I'm thinking more like $200 with a new ASUS Xonar soundcard although I have see mentioned appliances vs. sound cards.

My playback is Oppo 105 USB DAC. I have a Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT.

Option 1:
    Xonar card <$200
    Audacity w/ASIO
    24-48 record
    -6db peaks
    modest processing (clicks/pops, break into tracks)
    amplify or do suggest "normalize" to -0.4 db? Not sure if I should use -1.0 as manual recommends or -0.1 as I have read in Stereophile.

Export to FLAC
    Play from HDD over USB to Oppo105 using Jriver.

Suggestions?

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Hi Ken, no issues with my Focusrite 2i2, normalizing is up to the listener, mine are in between -6, -12, I listen only on the big system so as long as I'm -6 and under i'm fine, lots of info available from some top notch needledroppers on this forum as you may know:)
    TT->Phono Pre-->FR2i2-->pc

3. KenJ

If I use an appliance like Focusrite can I adjust the levels?

I have noticed my pre/pro (Emotiva DMC-1) Tape Out is pushing the meters too loud (on my new i7 motherboard sound PC and old XP PC w/m-Audio Revolution soundcard). Connecting to pre-amp out and volume adjusting it is quieter and I can adjust the volume up to -6db. Unless I use line attenuators my Tape Out connection (which seems better than pre-out) is too loud (even with audio recording level slider down to 0).

4. c-eling

Yes Ken you can, comes in handy on some of those hot 12inch singles lol, depending on what you want to spend there are higher end ones available, heard some good drops from the tascams also and are portable :)

5. KenJ

Were you able to get this to work with Audacity? line input selection on box? any suggestions?

I tried and another person tried on his system. USB light on. drivers show in audacity. flat line when recording.

I bought the focusright 2i2 at guitar center so I will return if I can't get it to work.

6. c-eling

Hmm interesting Ken, No I have not, try the free to try Reaper, In your Sound settings try turning off everything under "recording" when you have your phono pre hooked up and your playing the lp do the rings around your gain1,gain2 light up? and if you crank it do they turn orange/red? Yes using both as a "line" Audacity for windows has a 24bit issue, it actually "pads" the 16 to 24

7. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

There is a modded Audacity for windows that doesn't pad. I'm a mac user so audacity works for my with my lavry ad11. I'm sure someone on here knows of the modded version or can point you in the right direction. Here's a link maybe it helps? http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_PortAudio_v19

c-eling likes this.
  8. KenJ

Thx
    I have a modified audacity with asio for 24 bit that works with my old m audio sound card but I need more line attenuators for that setup

Focus right shows asio USB driver but no lights around gain knobs (that show clipping?) and flat recording line.

I do get USB light on

Another forum lurker tried my box on their own with same results

The Xonar card he uses peaks around -10 Db so I was hoping to have control from focus right to dial in -6 but it seems a little quieter is ok after amplification or normiztion

I can try other SW as you suggest
    Thx

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The trend is moving towards using a digital recorder rather than a PC system to do needle drops. Then drop them into a PC for track splitting, etc. through USB.

Robin L, krisbee and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

Hi Ken, Sounds like a defective unit, that sucks, you do have the correct Focusrite Drivers from their website installed correct?

11. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I just installed the Asus Xonar card....upgraded from a Soundblaster Live USB device.....stunning difference....it's miles better.

Fantastic sound card

c-eling likes this.
  12. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I also use a Xonar STX. It works extremely well, although it does work better at 96 kHz than at 192 kHz.

13. c-eling

If my FR ever poops on me that will be my next purchase, PIA moving my table back and forth :laugh:

14. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

My advice is get a tascam portable recorder. Takes the computer out of the equation (and possible noise) records 24/96, and is $60 and works great

Here is a video on it set up:

15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Sorry for a dumb question, but how does one of these small portable recorders hook into an audio system. The only input I see is a line or microphone in. Is there some kind of an RCA to line in connector?

16. c-eling

Some portables actually have a l/r in or yes you can use a y adapter

17. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Can you elaborate on the 96 v 192 performance you are seeing? 192 is new to me, I figured it must be better because it gets more data from the source.....would like to know what you're seeing with yours.

18. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

It is hard to describe, and your mileage may vary, but I just find that when I record at 192 that it doesn't quite sound as good as when I use 96 kHz. I am guessing that the clock is more stable at 96 than at 192. It is just how it sounds to me, though.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Don't wait, get a Tascam DR-07. Cheaper than a soundcard and it's pocket portable. Don't move your 'table, move your recorder. Note, don't get the DR-05, its range of level adjustment for the aux in isn't wide enough for a 'hot' signal.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    c-eling likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

I agree on a portable digital recorder is a good way to go. There are several brands that can record 2496, Zoom, Olympus, Sony, Yamaha, Tascam....

22. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

I disagree about portable being the best option, cost wise, maybe. But due to lack of market place in need for a good ADC, prices are high, competition low, R&D low. It's not a money maker like DAC's. Your choices are limited. I have a M2tech Joplin, love it. I would think a Benchmark ADC 1 might be good also.

23. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on the cable for the digital recorders. I currently still use an old Pioneer PDR-5 stand alone to make my needle drops, but it can't last much longer. I have dreaded the idea of lugging the turntable around, but the portable recorders look like a great answer. Thanks again.

24. KenJ

My concern is the ability to adjust the levels. On my system using tape out from preamp the signal is clipping. I added 12 Db line attenuators to get it closer but still too hot. With preamp out I can adjust the levels with the volume knob and fine tune In audacity but don't prefer that approach

My audio server and turntable are together so portable isn't a big need. I will look at Tascam

I am trying to stay in the $200 range vs $1k and up thinking the needle drop results will be satisfactory at $200.

On friends audio system and pc with Xonar card the signal is quiet and I wish I could boost to -6 peaks although -12 or so is fine.

25. KenJ

I swapped units....works great now. The gain controls combined with Audacity allow me to dial in the levels: peak at -6db. ASIO driver and ASIO Audacity for 24-bit 48kH. I am experimenting with click removal, then amplify, add meta data, photos of cover, insert, back, labels and add to audio server....

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.