Bill Withers appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Rosie" never sounded like a demo to me. The expanded editions of Menagerie and Still Bill were excellent, though I wonder why the bonus tracks and rarities didn't make the box set. The box set is also missing the classic Bill Withers and Bobby Womack duet, "It's All Over Now," "Just The Two of Us," "Better Days," "Soul Shadows," and "The Gift of Giving."

RoyalScam likes this.
  2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I have his Greatest Hits on 180 gram vinyl.

Excellent songs, excellent sound.

3. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Maybe because the box set is titled...The Complete Sussex And Columbia ALBUMS. :wave:

4. Could be. It's no nitpick really, just an observation. :shrug:

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes, it is...and that was a lazy choice for them to make. :wave:

6. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I always dug the obvious stuff (Lean On Me, Ain't No Sunshine, et al). A while back, I had to learn "Kissing My Love" on electric guitar for an audition. What a revelation. That is one helluva funky song, and not at all easy to play. I don't think that I ever truly figured out exactly what BW's guitarist was playing, but I got close enough (I suppose). Tremendously creative and inventive stuff.

LavidDange likes this.
  7. RoyalScam

Here's the list of missing tracks I have (besides the missing bonus tracks):

"Let Us Love" (B-side to "Use Me" and "The Gift of Giving")
    "The Gift of Giving" (1972 Xmas single)
    "U.S.A." (1981 Single)
    "Better Days" (from "A Man and a Boy")
    "It's All Over Now" (w/Bobby Womack)
    "Three Nights & A Morning" (1967 single A-side)
    "What I'll Do" (1967 single B-side)
    "Soul Shadows" (w/The Crusaders)
    "Just The Two of Us" (w/Grover Washington, Jr.)

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  8. djej

djej Forum Resident

Much of Withers' band on the first couple of albums were members of the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band.

Panama Hotel, Folknik and LavidDange like this.
  9. Just listened to Just As I Am earlier this morning. Harrowing and brave debut album. Some coldblooded stuff on there. Whew!

Folknik likes this.
  10. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The best thing that he did was recording "Just the Two of Us" with tenor saxophonist Grover Washington, Jr. which was included in the latter's album "Winelight".

LavidDange likes this.
  11. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

Although never an official single per se, Bill's co write with Jose Feliciano is one of the great and oft forgotten gems in his catalogue. There is no mistaking his involvement as soon as your hear the timbre in Jose's voice and his phrasing. Naturally, their collaboration continues into the year and the recording sessions for Bill's "+Justments" which, in my opinion, stands up equally against the great soul albums of the 70's from Curtis, Stevie, Marvin and Bobby Womack.

CybrKhatru and kennyluc1 like this.
  12. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

For all we know, the man himself may have been consulted and wanted it that way.

Life is short. The older I get the more I feel like I don't need to worry about having every last song my favorite artists ever recorded.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    pghmusiclover likes this.
  13. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I can't agree with that... I have to have every one. That is the fun of being a collector, trying to find every song and able to have a
    complete collection of any given artist.

fantgolf and RoyalScam like this.
  14. Just dug out Menagerie last weekend. A really nice album, but the earlier records are my faves. My vinyl copy is US promo designate w/ 1D/1D stampers and hand etched Robert Ludwig RL both sides, which is the same as the WLP.

15. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

The Yin and Yang of Bill!

16. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

17. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Agreed. When he was on Sussex, he could do no wrong. After he switched over to the Columbia label, his music turned extremely middle-of-the-road.

Except for "USA," a non-LP single from 1981 where he briefly got the fever back. Selfish fan that I am, I wish the Columbia had more like THIS and less like "Lovely Day":

18. pickwick33

Plus, the original front cover was a photo of Bill at his day gig, with lunchbox in hand. And it wasn't staged, either - it looked like a blurry Polaroid. If this music thing didn't work out, Still Bill was ready to stay there, too.

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  19. RoyalScam

Nah, I'm like Veruca Salt when it comes to collecting music. I want it now! I want it ALL now!

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Maybe there will be some sort of a "rarities" set someday?

21. pickwick33

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Hopefully they can include this early single from 1967:

22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just saw he's on Stephen Colbert tonight.

23. walkabout

walkabout Forum Resident

These two are on Just as I am / Still Bill twoefer from Raven. BW is one of my most favourite soul and r'n'b artists. Tremendous talent!

RoyalScam likes this.
  24. RoyalScam

They are. I have them. I remember thinking they sounded awful, but I'll have to dig them out again.

walkabout likes this.
  25. walkabout

walkabout Forum Resident

Better Days is not that bad, but the one with Bobby Womack leaves very much to be desired soundwise, imo.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.