Favorite album of 2014 so far?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by velvetmornin, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Much better music.

gingerly likes this.
  2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Do musicians actually sing these days??

3. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

One of my favorite releases of 2014 so far.

Nikki Lane - All Or Nothin', New West Records, NW5088, LP, Limited Edition, 180 Gram, US, 2014
    Lacquer Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering .

[​IMG]

Nikki Lane - Right Time [Official Music Video]

utahusker likes this.
  4. arem

arem Forum Resident

I've heard some people have had problems with noisy copies (especially side 3) but mine sounds great. I have the red vinyl version, not sure if that makes a difference pressing wise...

Danby Delight and RelayerNJ like this.
  5. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure about the new Warpaint album at first but I gave it another try last week and liked it a lot more than I did the first time I listened to it.

6. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love. He doesn't seem to get much attention on this forum.

7. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Where do you guys find this music?!
    Thanks a lot, especially now that Jack White and Black Keys have become antipathetic..

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ian McLagan & The Bump Band:
    UNITED STATES

That's my favorite this far this year. Great record.

9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Any reviews for the Rosanne Cash vinyl?

10. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I just dig around a lot. last.fm gives me some recommendations, some ideas I get from Wiki and Allmusic, some are friends' picks, etc... There is absolutely no shortage of great new music out there. You just won't find it on the radio or TV. But it's all a mouse click or two away, in this age of YouTube.

sonci and nbakid2000 like this.
  11. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I've had both CD and vinyl for a while now and it sounds much deeper...fuller...on my vinyl setup. Especially noticeable on "When the Master Calls the Roll". Additionally, it's a beautiful vinyl package.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Fire Orchestra- "Enter" . It's not out yet but I heard one song and it is epic. Vintage long winded stoner rock!

13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Musicians play instruments. Singers sing. Some, but not all, do both.

Daz likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

that song is very cool- a little kraftwerk, a little stereolab. the video is pretty mindblowing. you are in tune with the cutting edge- thanks for turning us on!

gingerly likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Really, really good album and and a real departure, second one in a row. No shortage of guts in this band. :righton:

D.D.

martinb likes this.
  16. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I am very happy thay so far its turned out be Phish's new one Fuego. Even better: my 12 year old son loves it!

17. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

You should get on some of her recent work- Weather was outstanding. She's a huge talent and I also love the new album.

D.D.

18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

So, singers aren't musicians?

19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Just answering your question.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  20. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

Ok so best albums of 2014 so far for me (in no particular order) are:

Temples- Sun Structures, good solid debut and a great nod to psychedelia

GOASTT- Midnight Sun, I'm seeing Sean and Charlotte play in September on the back of this great album.
    I've been listening to 'Unknown Mortal Orchestra's album II from last year (know it doesn't count but only discovered them this year)

I've enjoyed St Vincent's self titled album, thanks to all the SH members for the recommend :righton:

I would also add Slow Club's new album 'Complete Surrender' they are one of the bands from my home town (the mighty Sheffield) a very eclectic band with good singers, this album is going in a more motown, soul vein then their previous, great pop and a fun live act too.

My favourite album though is actually an instrumental/classical album of strings and piano (dont know if this qualifies, maybe goes in the classical corner) 'Romantic Works' by the singer songwriter Keaton Henson. He 'did a beyonce' and released it completely unannounced and the results are staggeringly beautiful, had me to the point of tears at some point.
    [​IMG]

NapalmBrain likes this.
  21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

You'd think it was a slam dunk to say that singers are musicians and their voices are their instruments .... but it does occur to me that 'instrumental' music doesn't have vocals. On top of which, people who are asked whether they play an instrument never say 'yes, I sing.' So there does seem to be a deep-seated prejudice against the ideas that singers are musicians in the same way that instrumentalists are.

22. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

My favorite LP so far this year is the s/t debut from Omi Palone:
    http://omipalone.bandcamp.com/album/omi-palone-3

Jangly, feel good lo-foish summer tunes. Very good stuff. Ordered the LP directly from the UK.

Anxiously awaiting the new Hookworms LP and hoping Disappears gets their new one out in 2014.

Have to admit I was pretty disappointed with the new Warpaint. Their first LP and the earlier EP are serious favorites, but the new s/t LP just really isn't doing it for me...

23. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music

whaleyboy and Walt like this.
  24. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I think it would be more accurate to say that trained singers are musicians. Anyone can sing, not everyone can sing well. I've been singing in my Church choir for over 10 years, and I remember after I'd been in the choir for about 3 years I was talking to someone in earshot of my choir director (who played piano and organ among other instruments), and when I said that "I'm not a musician," he turned and said, "That's wrong, you are a musician." He also taught music at our local college, so since then I've considered myself a musician. I will agree, however, that it takes somewhat more dedication to play an instrument; I'm finally learning to play guitar and the progress is a lot slower than learning to sing, and I really need to practice at least 30 minutes a day, while I don't practice singing quite that often.

25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think that's a reflection of where you are with it though. From what I hear (and I'm not at a level with either to know from personal experience) a singer has to be more dedicated than an instrumentalist because everything you do with your body has a bearing on the voice. Sure, you need to be fairly dedicated to get anywhere at all, and probably have to practice or warm up if you're playing an instrument at a reasonably high level, but I think worrying about their voice and preparing for singing is a big part of a vocalist's life. I guess we all know that story about Freddy Mercury not getting his teeth fixed because he was worried it would change his voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.