Extended cuts of films on television

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonOfAlerik, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've noticed this a lot on the ABC Family network,
    They added a deleted scene from (of all things) "The Birdcage"!!!

I also believe they do it for the "Harry Potter" movies, too!!

2. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

TWO MINUTE WARNING (1976) had additional scenes shot to remove the notion that a lone nutjob would start shooting people at random.
    AIRPORT 77 (1977) added in some character development scenes. The way these scenes were added back in was pretty goofy--they would freeze on a character then zoom in while going out of focus.
    DAMNATION ALLEY (1977) had some scenes added back in, including Murray Hamilton's only dialogue.
    THE DEEP (1977) added in quite a bit of footage, only a bit of which appeared on the DVD and Blu-Ray releases a few years back.
    GREMLINS (1984) added in some scenes.
    JAWS (1974) added in a bunch of scenes.
    JAWS 2 (1978) had a couple of scenes added as well.

3. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I knew Naked Gun 2 had extra scenes. I never knew the first had some as well.

4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Lethal Weapon on the UK's Channel 5 in 2000. This was before the extended (and inferior) cut ads released on DVD.

6. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

Not exactly "classics" per most folks' standards, but USA Network used to routinely show Clint Eastwood's "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can" with added scenes and complete musical sequences. I always hoped they'd add that footage onto/into the DVDs, but it was not to be. Thanks goodness for my VHS copies!

Simon A likes this.
  7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

For years I thought maybe I'd imagined seeing this as a kid. From Murder by Death:

Andrew likes this.
  8. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I have a VHS, but it doesn't track well in my current VCR. Hoping to get a different unit to try and salvage it.

The one thing I remember most distinctly is during the scene where Drebin is searching Montalban's apartment, he gets snagged on a white bear skin rug. If you go back and watch the final cut, you see him holding the rug in his hands with no explanation of how it got there.

9. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

With regards to deleted scenes in TV versions of movies, they're either part of the original filming, or not. In the case of The Naked Gun trilogy and Problem Child 1 & 2, the former applies.

10. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have been hoping that there would be a release of the extended cut of THE DEEP for years. I can't help but believe that they would get sales out of a lot of these old movies if they would release the extended cuts.

11. I absolutely agree - in many cases, these extended cuts are the versions a lot of us grew up with (and can recall word perfectly!) because they were shown on television back when home video formats weren't so readily available...

12. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

The extended version was originally announced as a laserdisc release many moons ago but it was never released due to an issue with clearances. Rumor was one of the actors involved wouldn't sign off on it. Whether that was the case or not I don't know for sure, so take that with a grain of salt. However, the scenes included on the Blu-ray looked very good so I doubt the issue isn't that there isn't good quality materials available.

I also would love to see it released. I think the extended version is a better film.

13. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

Thought of two more:

THE SWARM (1978) had 40 minutes added for its initial television showing. The version was later released on laserdisc and DVD.
    WHEN TIME RAN OUT (1980) was extended by 20 minutes. This version was never released on DVD.

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't seen The Deep since seeing it on TV. I'm sure it was that extended broadcast that I watched. I have a standard DVD copy. But I still need to sit down to watch it.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we need a list of these that are available on DVD!

Simon A and SonOfAlerik like this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

or you could just look on www.dvdaf.com ;)

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! Blast from the past. years ago I had my collection on that site... wonder if it's still there? well I did forget my username and password...so, it doesn't really matter now.

18. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Born In East L.A. (with Cheech Marin)

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"a black Peugeot?"

20. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

The first time I saw Blazing Saddles on TV there was an extended sequence involving Bart's capture of Mongo. On subsequent viewings this sequence ended with the Candygram joke. I found out much later that the extra scenes were added in the TV cut, in which various other rude parts were edited out (I think principally the baked beans scene was shown with the farting sounds removed).
    I thought I'd imagined the extended Mongo sequence until it turned up on the DVD extras.

21. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Yes, I've also seen the TV version with the fart sounds removed. The cowboys still raise their butts and lift their legs, but no noises happen. Then the guy comes out, makes a nasty face, waves his hat and says they have had enough beans. It is a hilarious edit.

22. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I think I've read in many cases that the extra TV footage for various films often wasn't kept around (or is just otherwise currently lost) or doesn't exist in a quality that could allow it to be re-edited back into the theatrical version. I can't think of specific examples right now, but I know I've read a few cases where DVD producers attempted to find extra footage like this but weren't able to.

23. It's been added to the Extedned cut of the film that is on Blu-ray and DVD,

24. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I'm sure in some cases, this may be true, but for major titles from studios like Universal and Warner Brothers, the footage is in the vaults, they just need a justification to go get it. All the way back in the late 90s, Warner put out that "Little Shop of Horrors" DVD with a black and white workprint ending, which made people concerned that all the original footage was lost. Warner just didn't want to spend the money to pull all the original takes and edit together a color version (which they eventually did for the Blu-ray).

25. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Yeah, one would hope so, but for instance I was reading something the other day regarding the new Halloween Ultimate Box Set or whatever it's called that's coming out soon and it was mentioned that the TV cut of Halloween 2 will still only be available as a DVD in the set because Universal had long ago tossed or misplaced the original elements for the extra TV footage and there was no way to restore whatever elements do exist to HD. Whether that's true or not I dunno, but if Uni managed to lose footage for a film like that which has a huge fanbase who'll buy these titles over and over again in various formats and configurations, it doesn't give much hope that extra footage shot for less-popular/well-known movies survives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.