David Bowie - 'Aladdin Sane' What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I think to properly appreciate it, you have to be......... A Ladd Insane. :whistle:

( I'm sorry...... )

D.B. likes this.
  2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Either you get it or don't as there are a dozen or more reasons this is a great recording only you have the ability to find them.

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lipstick mascara was once popular, perhaps that's tbe backlash.
    Wipes mouth.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

G E and simon-wagstaff like this.
  5. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I think it's my favorite.

Say likes this.
  6. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Wasn't he on an upward trajectory from 1974?

Grant likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

That'd be my opinion - 2nd half of the 70s Bowie tops 1st half, IMO.

But I'm not the one who claimed he jumped the shark with "Diamond Dogs"! :)

D.B. and badsneakers like this.
  8. There's a lot of early 70's Bowie that just doesn't click for me. About half each of Young Americans and Station To Station are anywhere from good to great -- but a lot less than half of anything (Bowie) before about 1975 really does much for me (and the pre-75 tracks I do like, are mostly the ones that are overplayed).

I think the very earliest Bowie track that I really deeply connect with is "Stay" from Station To Station, though I probably have a soft spot for "Life On Mars" (from Hunky Dory).

For me, everything Bowie gets progressively better after 1976 -- goes downhill a bit in the 80's, starts to right itself with Tin Machine -- and then (for me) his best work is all after Tin Machine (nearly everything). Seriously.

D.B. likes this.
  9. danner

danner Forum Resident

I used to be kind of lukewarm on it aside from the obvious highlights. These days, I think I actually prefer it over Ziggy. It's raunchier and more fun.

Fun story: I got the Ryko CD as a Christmas present when I was around 10 years old or so and carried it over to my great aunt's house so I could listen to it on the Discman. At some point, my uncle got a hold of the CD booklet and flipped through it. After we got home, my mom expressed how embarrassed she was because he approached her about some of the "naughty" lyrics.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Let's get you and Alexpop in a steel cage to fight it out. He thinks Bowie tanked after 1974, you think he came to life - duke it out, boys! :D

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  11. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Love this album. Always have, always will.

12. Say

Say Forum Resident

Oats, I'm pleased that you like Dogs.

13. Say

Say Forum Resident

In all actuality, Diamond dogs was a tough pill to swallow at first with the departure of the Spiders from Mars. However, it's a keeper and one of Bowies top 4 albums.

badsneakers likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I can understand why you might not really like Watch That Man and some others. I like all of the songs but a few are too derivative sounding compared to the other songs. Watch That Man is a perfect example.
    I still like it though but not as much as the title track.

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

No. Ohhhhh no.

16. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Musically, I would say "Yes", but physically and mentally I would say he was going downhill.

Grant likes this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Uh, I think that distinction goes to "Young Americans". That's the album that got him on the top of the singles and album charts, and introduced him to a brand new audience. Hell, "Fame" even got him on Soul Train"!

Yes. Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! For the U.S., 1975 was the uptick. But, after "Station To Station"'s "Golden Years", he faded back out to pre-'75 status until "Let's Dance".

norman_frappe likes this.
  18. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Not to be flippant, but this is one of those "if I have to explain it to you, you'll never get it" albums.

19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

It's a goodun, though I always skip the Stones cover and Prettiest Star

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting discussion and I agree with those who say there is nothing wrong with not liking a particular album even if you like the artist. Music is so subjective and it moves each of us differently.

For this album, I really like the title track but am very lukewarm about the album itself, and the whole glam period frankly. Bowie for me really starts at Station To Station.

21. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

There are songs I skip on everything from The Man Who Sold the World through Scary Monsters. Well, I skip around a lot on the two live albums. But man, that is a run of 12 pretty swell studio LPs in a row.

22. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I think Aladdin Sane is a great album. I'm not sure if it's a better album than Ziggy Stardust, but it certainly rocks harder and is arguably a more musically adventurous album than Ziggy Stardust. The only misstep is the cover of "Let's Spend the Night Together", but everything else is gold.

cc-- likes this.
  23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The cover shot is iconic, but the album to me sounds a bit as if he really didn't know where to go next with his Ziggy character. There is a variety of styles from experimental sounds over blues, pop and music theatre. Many good songs. But it doesn't fit together as good as the songs on the two albums before. But....nothing to be ashamed of.

badsneakers likes this.
  24. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I've got the 30th anniversary two disc set and like the sound on it, very much.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love Aladdin Sane. I like the brashness of it and I like that fact that this is Bowie surfing the crest of the Ziggy wave. Here he is, the now established, mega pop star and he's havin' a ball.
    I remember finding Diamond Dogs a bit of a let-down after it (especially as Rono had gone). I grew to love it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.