Did you ever get to jam with any famous musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I surely didn't jam with him, but after seeing Larry Coryell up close and personal in 1970 at Montezuma Hall at SDSC. I asked him about his Super 400. He handed it to me and told me to check it out. It was kind of the same deal as when Steve Howe let me play one of his guitars a few years later. All I could really do was to drool over it.

Btw, it did have a broken neck that he had repaired. I ran into him several times decades later at various NAMM shows and I always mention that guitar, which always brought a smile to his face.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

As a teen, I dreamed that I jammed with Pete Townshend. I know that's pretty amazing, but it's a true story. :winkgrin:

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I had a similar experience with danny gatton. he was with Robert Gordon at the time and I knew the whole band. it happened to be an elvis birthday show in nyc. I was sitting with danny in the dressing room. I commented about his guitar which he told me had belonged to scotty moore. he literally tossed it over to me to check out! needless to say I was quite nervous just handling that piece of history.

Doug Sclar likes this.
  4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

sat in with some members of The Sights, and i think there was a Dirtbomb or 2 involved as well.

5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Not a player, but right before Nils Lofgren joined the E street band he was pretty down and out-broke and living with his mom. One of the members of a band I hung out with knew him pretty well and he would show up and jam. I sat on the basement steps right in front of him in total awe and wondered how a player of his caliber couldn't find work. One night he started telling Neil Young stories but it was late and I was pretty trashed so I can't remember them. Then Bruce called and the rest is history. My friends played out one night a few months later and he showed up and sat in for a song or two. I remember him saying how hard he had to work to learn all the material and so no rock and roll fun for him. A truly gifted musician and a nice guy to boot.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  6. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

"I played football with Elvis" Ringo Starr Beatles Anthology

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I AM a famous musician.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

So..uh..have you...uh...ever played with...er...yourself? :hide:

9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Not played with anyone famous, but I have sat and played on a guitar which used to belong to Al Jardine. I played Paul McCartney's Calico Skies on it, as I recall.

10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I played with someone who played with someone who was famous. o_O
    Jesse Charnow has played drums with Ike Turner and Anoushka Shankar. We did a Beatles trib for a while.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  11. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I played the spoons in a drunken backstage jam with Phish in '93.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  12. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this counts, but I played guitars with Willie Nelson, Harry Dean Stanton and Kris Kristofferson during lunch breaks on the north shore of Oahu while we were making that stellar motion picture The Big Bounce (I was the boom operator) back in 2002-03.

Fun stuff; nice fellows!

~Huck

13. Eyesoftheworld

Eyesoftheworld Active Member

I got to sing the Michael Stipe line in "A Campfire Song" at a 10000 maniacs show at a club in the 80s. They were not famous at the time. I think Natalie picked me because I raved to her about that album and their older material and she figured I knew the words.

To this day she always picks an audience member to sing that line.

"That he can't beg or steal..."

I contributed a line to a Juliana Hatfield song about a dog. We were chatting on twitter and I suggested the line and she asked if she could use it.

Fullbug and Naughty Chord like this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

No one too well known. I played bass with Cub Koda (Smokin' in the Boys Room) for a year, backed up Marshal Crenshaw, jammed with Ian Bruce-Douglas (Ultimate Spinach) at his home, Gary Lucas once (Captain Beefheart), played with tons of people in new music circles (Terry Riley, John Zorn, Elliott Sharp, and about a hundred others.)

Cassiel, jricc, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  15. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

My father is almost ashamed to admit that he once had the temerity to jam with Earl Scruggs at the banjo picker's house in Nashville back in the 80s, despite being no more than a middling flat-picker.

mando_dan likes this.
  16. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I almost played drums behind GG Allin which I'm glad never happened (long story).
    I did play drums with Bobby Ronco from the Flamin Groovies who played bass with us (as the Psycho Dasies)

Played drums with Doug Luban (from the Elektra band Clear Light) who played bass on the first Doors album.
    It was a fun experience. He almost joined our oldies show band. Since we get a gig every other week, he passed since he wanted to play full time. Luban pulled out some pictures of him with the Doors while recording the first album (some are in the book to one of the boxsets) and the gold record for the first album which was cool.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Does 'jamming' coincide with 'worked with'?

I've been a a couple of bands with Iain Matthews (ex. Fairport Convention), David Surkamp and Doug Rayburn (Pavlov's Dog), a band with Iain and Bob Henrit (Argent, Kinks), played a couple nights with the Pretty Things, Peter Noone, Leslie Gore, one gig w. Goldie McJohn (ex-Steppenwolf) and Alan White (Yes), was in a brief (drum clinic) power trio with Carmine Appice (everybody, basically), jammed with Narada Michael Walden at my friends' wedding reception, and ... I've forgotten a bunch more.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    john lennonist likes this.
  18. Not sure how "famous" they were outside of Canada but I was at a party at a friend's house and found myself jamming at one point with a couple of members of Five Man Electrical Band. My friend knew them well but I had only met the bass player previously.

19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Does being accosted by James Taylor's roadies count for anything, cause that put me in a real jam!

Huck Caton likes this.
  20. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I played a private party one time in the late 80s or early 90s with Uncle John Turner (of Johnny Winter fame) as the fill-in drummer. Enjoyed that quite a bit.

Also Michael Knust of Fever Tree fame played my guitar and amp quite a few times jamming with the rest of my band. Unfortunately I don't think I ever actually got to play with him. But I did kick back and drink beers watching him tear it up while I was still getting paid.

21. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I have played with Stefan Grossman both at workshops, in private and on stage.
    Now Stefan himself did jam with lots (Hendrix, Bloomfield, et.)

22. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I never jammed with him, but I worked on a TV show with him once and I agree, Peter Noone was a cool guy without any attitude.

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

yes martial solal i was 6!

24. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I was in a band called Lynx in Dallas in the 70s & early 80s. We were extremely fortunate to have many celebrity musicians sit in, but my favorite night was a Tuesday at an infamous Dallas bar called 'Mother Blues.' Our sound man hit the talkback button while we were on stage and said, "Gentlemen, Stephen Stills is in the building and would like to sit in." Next thing I know, he's up there with us, replete with a football jersey, shredded jeans and a bottleneck. We did roughly an hour's worth of "Crossroads" and "Rocky Mountain Way", which were covers he was doing at the time. Of course, his voice was shot, but he killed it on guitar. After we finished he thanked us and announced that he needed to get upstairs so he could "call Eric."

25. George B.

George B. Well-Known Member

Yes, in a way...

During one of my weekend visits with Les Paul up in Mahwah, we were in his control room at 2am having a beer - and he was playing on top of several tracks that he had previously recorded on the eight-track for "There's a Small Hotel". Then he says: "Wanna play this?" and hands me his guitar. You Think !! So he rewound the tape and I played the lead to his playback.

So... yes. you might say that I played with Les Paul sorta'... At least he was in the room! We just never went that one step further - and used two guitars.

George
    www.GuitarsInSync.com
    Music in the Les Paul and Mary Ford Tradition

edenofflowers and ConnieGuitar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.