Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Personally, I've always thought it was simply that the album was a bit on the "soft" side, if you will. I think a lot of the songs are even better than those on V/M, but V/M rocks more and is a bit more cohesive, without all the extra vocalists, etc.

I love them both, but ATSOS is still my least played Wings album alongside Wild Life.

theMess likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I personally have only seen it attacked because everyone sang their own song, including Linda, so you must have read reviews that I have not seen.

I certainly get what you mean about the album having a fragmented sound, despite the great songs and production. I personally feel that RRS, BOTR and V&M all have a certain sound and unity that holds them together that Sound lacks, and that could very well be because it was recorded in a hurry, as you said.

She is anyway and warewolf95 like this.
  3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I loke SOS. I just wish Cook of The House wasn't on it.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what "gravy" he's moppin' up, but I still hear the word gravy and think of the food. :(

5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I like Wino...and it is better than Medicine Jar... I wish Wings had performed it live.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

And Paul a veggie, too!

warewolf95 and theMess like this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I know what you mean, it reminds me of Cartman's KFC gravy obsession in South Park.

8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Exactly. And just to be clear, I wasn't really talking about the reviews, just the esteem in which it is held generally.

theMess likes this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Maybe it was red wine gravy? :D

10. warewolf95

ATSOS is pretty much Wings at the top of their commercial popularity, and while I don't know for sure, I think maybe they might have specifically been trying to be, dare I say, more commercial. After the gradual build up of BOTR, then V/M, there was probably a conscious decision to try to capitalize on it.
    I'm still kinda surprised when I realise that they performed a good 80% of V/M on the 76 tour and only did 4 songs from their huge, commercial, hit new album

theMess likes this.
  11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like the whole thing. I was 9 when SOS came out and it never would have occurred to me that there was some reason not to like "Cook of the House". So I did and I still do.

supermd and theMess like this.
  12. Hate is probably too strong a word but I feel Pauls stab at democracy with this album really dumbed it down and led to its failure as a really great record that people would have loved and played in the long term... Aside from only Macca heads.

13. Bobby Morrow

I think you just might have made it worse!

14. We'll one was a really good album and the other was mediocrity. He was smart it seems with his choices.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I can see how Linda's vocals may bother some, but I don't see what is wrong with Denny's, Joe's or Jimmy's singing? Denny and Joe are great singers IMO, and Jimmy is solid.

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Oh dear, I can now see what that sounds like. Woops. :D

JDeanB, She is anyway and Frank like this.
  17. Not the singing so much as Mediocre songs. Ringo was not a great singer but the Beatles gave him pretty great material

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

I always loved Must Do Something About It and thought Joe sang great on it. Denny we knew already and Jimmy gave us a second vocal. I get the hate for COOH, but I think some people take it out of context - you'd have to be nuts to think it was meant to be any kind of serious. Yes, perhaps it would've been better left off the album, or as a b-side, but Its not like its Cold Lake by Celtic Frost or anything, haha

theMess likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

I never had a problem with Linda's vocals on record. Some of her BVs/harmonies were lovely. She wasn't technically a great singer, but she wasn't nightmarishly bad either.

20. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yes indeed. I really like both The Note You Never Wrote and Time To Hide. Two of the highlights for me and of course Denny was brought into the band for his voice because of his vocal performance on The Moody Blues' Go Now which Macca much admired.

JDeanB, supermd and theMess like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Let me help:

[​IMG]

My Vegan Gravy Recipe
    Ingredients:
    • 2 cups vegetable broth
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/4 cup cake or pastry flour (all-purpose flour if you don’t have either)
    • 3 tablespoons tamari
    • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    • 3-4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
    • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

22. Bobby Morrow

Paul and Linda would have had a laugh at that!

JDeanB, theMess and warewolf95 like this.
  23. warewolf95

I'm not the biggest fan of her musical ability myself, but I've always thought she sounded better post-Wings when she was often kinda like Paul's side kick - the late 80s were a pretty good period in that regard.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Sounds yummy!

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Wow, that sounds.......nice.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.