5.1 surround

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

UK Quad was the DVD and SACD
    Warner Blros did a 5.1 DVDA a couple of the tracks appear in the box.

The 40th Box also conatins a CD with teh stereo downmix of the quad.

Surprised this has not yet been exploited for Blu ray Note sure who owns the DP EMI catalog now did it go to Warners or Universal

2. This is on the DVD-AUDIO original album 2012 remaster [96 /24 lpcm stereo ] original album quad mix [ quad to 4.1 dts 96/24 & dolby digital] bonus 5.1 mixes [ 5.1 dts 96 /24 & dolby digital When A Blind Man Cries- Maybe I'm A Leo -Lazy. There is also an original album quad sq stereo of the 2012 remaster

3. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

What makes you say that ? I don't have any links to back it up but the most concerts I've seen were stereo mixes.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is possible some lazy engineers mix concerts in mono but I would bet the majority of them use stereo, at least narrow stereo, just to be able to spread everything nicely and take advantage of the acoustics of the venue.
    I certainly used stereo in my days of live mixing.

5. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Machine Head on vinyl is available in both SQ & CD-4. One of the better sounding quad mixes IMO. I prefer either one to the SACD.

6. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I have talked to several mixers over the years and the general aim is, that everyone in the audience gets the same mix.
    The only few exceptions with some left - right effects I remember from Queen concerts, when Brian May did his guitar echo. Or some surround effects from Pink Floyd or Kraftwerk.
    Apart from that the only stereo I ever noticed in concerts are in certain intros before the band starts playing. If you stand right in front of the stage you will have some seperation from the stage sound. But the P.A.system will give you mono.

7. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

The only stereo concert mix I ever remember was a Roxy Music concert during the Avalon tour.

8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

You can add to that list two albums by Wings/Paul McCartney:

Band on the run and Venus & Mars.

Quad mixes for those two were done in the 70s, but never released....
    ....until 1999 (or something), on DTS - CDs. I have "Band on the run", I'll have "Venus&Mars" one day.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2330654

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Both WERE released, on 8-track.

10. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Ok, thanks for that info ! :)

11. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Rhino released the Quadraphonic version of 'Chicago Transit Authority' in 2010. It was very well received.

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I did a piece for the LA Times in 2010 when Rhino started issuing quad mixes (they did 2, then dumped the series). Rhino/Warners alone had 2,700 quad masters they were working with. Record companies back then put a ton into quad thinking it was the next big thing. You could even get The Archies in quad. There's a pretty sizable underground fanbase converting those old quad tapes/records to a format that plays on home theaters.

And I'd argue that real life is in surround sound, and that stereo and mono are more artificial than a 5.1 mix, though I do take your point that rarely is a person surrounded by musicians playing. Quad and 5.1 mixes really open up the songs for me, if done well. Bridge Over Troubled Water in quad is life-changing.

rd1, formu_la, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  13. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The did that, as well as 5.1 for DSOTM, WYWH and Aqualung. I actually find the Quad mixes more enjoyable than the 5.1 on all three of these.

15. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Maybe it's just me - in fact I'm sure it is just me - but often as not, I prefer the stereo version replayed with Pro Logic 2 to the official 5.1 releases. :hide:

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

can you tell me what release this is available on? TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  17. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

There are certain albums that definitely sound great when played through Pro Logic II, but many do not...and as for the official 5.1 releases, there is quite a variance in the quality (immersiveness) of these.

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I am not aware of an official 5.1 mix. :confused: Did I miss something? I know that there is a live surround mix and a grey market uploaded DTS mix.

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Listening to it right now. Sounds OK, nothing special, certainly not discrete.

Well, Mr Blue Sky DOES sound damned good!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  20. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

I much prefer the quad of Dark Side and think the quad of Chicago Transit Authority is fantastic Based on this thread, I've ordered the quad of Ten Years After. I am a fan of 5.1 in most cases, but here's hoping for more quad on DVD!

21. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

True of the recent SW Passion Play. The AC3 and DTS 5.1 can't compare to the lossless stereo mix thru a good matrix decoder

22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I bought a car last year with a 5.1 sound system (don't tell my wife, but that's the major reason I bought the car!).
    It also has a Pro Logic II option that I leave on for all of the non-5.1 music I play. It all sounds great. Not as good as the high rez DVD-As, but pretty great nonetheless.
    YMMV.

Bill Mac and formu_la like this.
  23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Strongly disagree.

Larry Geller likes this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Putting the lossless through a matrix decoder will produce phase artifacts not different from the more compressed formats (AC3, MP3).

We have compared the lossless mixes to DTS, and Steven and I agree that unless you can compare the original to the lossy, it will be difficult to tell the difference, it is so subtle. The Dolby is another story...

25. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I'll give the DTS another try.
    The stereo mix sounds great btw. It is livelier than my original UK vinyl, which sounds a little dark in comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.