Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore Box Set (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am sticking with just the BD, which sounds amazing in stereo and surround, I would have been just as happy if they were only using the front 3 channels. The surround mix is really, really tastefully done with no gimmicks. Makes me want to upgrade my home theater speakers.

They used a 16/44 source for the vinyl. On a hi-res needle drop there is a sharp cut off at 20 Khz.

2. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

dude this liz reed on disc one is outstanding (CD version).

beautiful, simple book, fantastic sound, killer tunes. no useless coasters or ticket stubs or scarves that i can't use but at the same time don't want to throw away. its just about the perfect deluxe edition for me and my tastes.

3. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

if I remember correctly vinyl done by Ron M at Capitol is through a 16 bit digital delay

4. Emmett66

Emmett66 Forum Resident

I've only listened to the first CD. Great sound quality! I like the sax, but I love Bobby Caldwell's percussion!

old school, 81828384 and rcb30 like this.
  5. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Oh that's a shame, I hoped it was recent interview, oh well

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That one may not even get to the Robbie Robertson / Levon Helm deathbed visit, I'm afraid.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I cannot imagine why I would play my Mofi At The Fillmore instead of this new one.

81828384 likes this.
  8. Myke

Because it's gold ? I'm keeping all my versions, because I'm nuts.

Also betting there'll never be another version again.

9. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The 50th anniversary is coming up in a few years.

Maybe they'll find the March 11th tapes so they can have a "COMPLETE 1971 FILLMORE EAST RECORDINGS" box set.

10. Myke

No, I actually believe the ABB organization.

11. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

We'll have to wait until you see how the afghan comes out in the wash to see if you still believe. ;)

12. Myke

If the March 11th tapes show up, it'll be JFK, and the Easter Bunny delivering them.

13. Same here, maybe four months old. Was without a TT for a quarter of a century. OM2 Bronze.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. What does that mean exactly? Never heard that term "16 bit digital delay" before.

I knew it wasn't going to be cut from analog, but I was expecting the vinyl to be be cut from a high-res digital source.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

24/96.

16. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

was listening to mountain jam for the first time...and like someone said. it sounds like a song taken straight from a grateful dead concert.
    but i dont like the dead...allman is more my kind of jamming....too bad "my" grateful dead band was cut short. rip duane.

musicalbeds likes this.
  17. Maybe because of the way it sounds? Or due to the spliced together version of "You Don't Love Me"?

18. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

For folks who may be scared off by comments about Juicy Carter's sax playing, I was planning on getting the Blu Ray version of the Fillmore concerts, but read some of the comments regarding Juicy Carter's saxophone playing on some of the songs. so before ordering the Blu Ray, I headed over to an online streaming service and listed to Elizabeth Reed from the first show of the set.

I was expecting to hear something alarming..some really bad sax playing. What I heard was a jazz saxophone musician, circa 1970, who's intonation is influenced by Jackie McLean and Ornette Coleman, and harmonic sense influenced by Eric Dolphy. All expected influences for a progressive, somewhat avant jazz musician in that time frame (and this time frame for that matter).

My main bread and butter music is jazz, probably 60% of my listening time. I've invested a great deal of time into reading books about jazz, watching documentary's, hundreds of concerts, and don't get me started about the money spent on LP's and CD's. Listening to Juicy Carter, I heard an avant influenced jazz player, but not too avant. His solo on Elizabeth Reed was great, and made a great song more interesting. I would not want a sax solo on every version of Elizabeth Reed, however, the new Fillmore set is more valuable to me with that Juicy Carter version.

Tuco, SOONERFAN, jay.dee and 16 others like this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

All three versions just arrived from jpc.de (CD set and Vinyl box "made in the EU"). A dream come true for sure.

20. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Mmmm... Not sure, it can be a limitation of the analogue tape.

21. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

That might not be the right terminology but just before cutting the signal changes from analog or 24/96 to 16/44.

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

1. The records themselves are also Made in EU at www.gzrecords.com (inscribed at the deadwaw): http://www.gzvinyl.com/About-GZ/Summary.aspx

2.Therefore, a different pressing than the US one made at Quality records: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...illmore_East_Recordings-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

3. the download coupon code is entered at "back to black" site.

4.Was it mentioned before that the vinyl box has no book(let) included whatsoever, apart from a LP-sized glossy page with the contents and credit?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I wonder if any music critics, when reviewing the original vinyl release, made the connection between "Southern rock" and "jazz" on some of the tracks?

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I, for one, would hope that they would at least bury the hatchet but that's their business. What would be cool would be a final unplugged set with the current lineup, make peace with Dickey and have him in there too. The band is going out pretty soon, despite the double tragedies of Duane & Berry, 4 of their 6 original members are still alive and kicking for over 4 decades now. But, I can't complain. No other band has given me as much enjoyment, since I was 4, as the Allman Brothers Band has. And there's no other band I relate to more...no matter how crappy things have gotten at times, these guys have always been there...I can put on some ABB and it all flies out the window. No other band even comes close as far as I am concerned.

Back to the Fillmore box...mine has shipped and will arrive by 8/5. That's ok though. The last three days have been spent moving and unpacking and now we're all settled in. It'll be here soon. I may have to take a vacation day just to enjoy it all by myself. :)

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

and Hoffa ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.