"LUCY" new film by Luc Besson (2014) starring Scarlett Johansson & Morgan Freeman

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dogpile, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday and thought it just got silly the longer it went on. Being able to use more of your brain allows you to control space and time?

For me the fatal flaw was a character who's invincible, and can do whatever's necessary for the given situation, giving up any risk or jeopardy. Fairly
    well shot and moves right along, but kinda bored me after a while, even at just over 90 minutes. Much less of an action film than it's being sold as.

Also any film making more money than another on its opening weekend is less an indication of how good it is as how well marketed it is. Not saying
    that HERCULES was the better choice this weekend, as I thought that was fairly dreary as well.

scottM, Dudley Morris and Deesky like this.
  2. chacha likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So between Lucy and Her, Scarlett Johansson now is the Ubermensch? I sure didn't see that one coming.

[​IMG]

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just got back. Do not spend your money on this. It was bad, bad, bad. Worst then bad.

5. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Saw it this am, too. xd screen was impressive, though. Too bad the projection f'd up and sounded like a cd skipping-had to bail and get a manager. I did like the interspersed natgeo footage, however - esp. the jaguar bit in the beginning...

On the plus side, sin city trailer looks good...

6. shokhead

Thought all those clips and there was a ton of them was a way to save money. Cheap filler imo.

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

It's not a rule per se, but it is generally accepted that for good fiction to work, requires the willful suspension of disbelief. So, if you know that it's a fact that we use more than 10% of our brains, then it becomes harder to suspend your disbelief in the specific case of the example of Lucy. This is why many people really don't care for Science Fiction or Fantasy, they just can't believe the premise of the film/book. I have always had a low entertainment threshold (I'd be an awful film critic), so I could go see this film and likely enjoy it for what it is, however, my wife, who is a psychologist, has no intention of sitting through it. To her, the premise is just too much to swallow.

Shawn likes this.
  8. That was one of the good things about Limitless, that they never really explained how the drug was supposed to work. There was one guy who alluded to the 10% thing, but he was just a pharmco flunky who had access to the drug and wasn't in a good position to know how it acted.

Also, I'd say respect for science is a big part of what differentiates SciFi from Fantasy - if it tosses aside known science or doesn't posit workarounds you can buy into, then it's more likely it's Fantasy. Especially if there are muscular men and women in tiny clothes running around as well. ;)

9. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

True, and we'll overlook an awful lot for that last bit! :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It worked for me, though it did lose a little steam towards the end. Scarlett played the part well and there was some humorous moments, so I give it a solid B.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Agree. I enjoyed it.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what is the release date for home video?

13. Michael

thanks for making me want to see this even more! Luc NEVER fails to please me...EVER. I cannot imagine anything wrong with this movie after watching the trailer...Geez.

showtaper likes this.
  14. Michael

the DVD had an alternate ending that thankfully wasn't used...did you see it?

15. Michael

only here by the negativetones...they are abundant in NICKPIC CITY...

16. shokhead

Home you like it. I've seen it.

17. Michael

you did mean Hope, correct? Of course I will like it1! I'm a fan of Luc & Scarlet...what's not to like? Luc ROCKS!

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

A movie based on the premise that we only use 10% of our brains that takes .0000000000010 to watch. Imagine that.

19. shokhead

Scarlet was the best part of the film.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Loved Sin City. The trailor for the second installment has me curious. Might just have to go and see it.

21. Michael

without seeing it...I'm sure she was...like I said I'm a fan of Luc bigtime...and I'll pretty much anything Scarlet is in.

22. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

23. Based on a Premise that's a myth. Ok. I'm glad the Hobbit is based on reality .

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. Straw man argument. Regardless, The Hobbit set up its own universe and operates within it. Lucy operates within current times (she's a drug mule in what looks like the real world) with modern reality set as its basis. The fallacy of humans using only 10% of their brains flies in the face of the reality set up by the film. If you can get by this flaw and script over-sight, more power to you.

supermd and Deesky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.