Do UK pink label Island LP's play pretty well, or are the palm tree labels better??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shinedaddy, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

What are the stampers for your Tull "This Was" Mono?

2. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Stampers are ILP+985+A and ILP+985+B.

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've had several original UK mono copies with no whooshing. Nothing wrong with them. Sounds like a pressing anomaly.

4. Raunchnroll

It's a +A/+B by Orlake. I've had other originals without quite the same 'level of' presence, a small but detectable difference. Its what I suppose would be called by some a 'hot stamper'. Remember you could probably buy ten copies and all will have a slightly different sound quality.

Some of these were pressed by Orlake and would use the +A/+B lacquer codes. As I mentioned Orlakes are sometimes very quiet - sometimes with surface noise. If you have a Polydor with the A/# B/# then its probably just groove wear or damage.

5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Today at the used store I picked up a UK copy of Traffic s/t. I was surprised to find it was a pink label, colored eyeball with rough texture, A2/B5 machine stamp matrix. The little I've had time to listen to sounded excellent.

6. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident Thread Starter

great find!! What did that set you back?

GreatTone likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, a good quiet Orlake era original is the best when you can find them. But their pressings are variable even new. And add to that to their being from the era when too many owners of them originally played them on unsuitable radiograms and tabletop phonos. Polydor era and EMI pressings were when record owners began being mindful of owning better phonos. But I find EMI cut replacement lacquers a bit more polite and less dynamic compared to earlier matrices. So, sometimes I will take some Orlake hiss over more polite sonics if I must compromise. Since I have options to obviate some of that hiss and roar.

8. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have two copies of What We Did On Our Holidays, both on Pink label with orange eyeball logo.
    Matrix are:
    1) ILPS+9092+A; ILPS+9092+B
    2) ILPS+9092+A; ILPS+9092+B 3

If I well understood, the first one is pressed by Orlake and the second one by Polydor. Am I correct?

9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

$20... :hide:

Also, the cover is in very close to mint condition -- a flipback G&L with the bound-in booklet.

Giorgio likes this.
  10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

"a flipback G&L" - Those words are enough to get me salivating...!

GreatTone and Giorgio like this.
  11. Raunchnroll

Both are Orlake. Side two is from an additional lacquer cutting. These are a little louder or hotter than the first cutting.

Giorgio likes this.
  12. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

It is not so clear for me how identify the Polydor first cutting...Could you please provide an example of matrix's first cutting?

13. Raunchnroll

+A +B = 1st lacquer.
    +A2 +B2 = 2nd lacquer...and so on

Giorgio likes this.
  14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

You stole it. I paid $225 for mine with A1/B1 matrix in mint condition.

GreatTone likes this.
  15. shinedaddy

I dont think there is a "eyeball" pink label, which as you know is the very first one, that has an A1/B1, is there? A2/B5 is also what I have.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'll check, I remember it being a first pressing

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My latest pink label acquisition is an oddity, Free's self titled has Bell Sound stampers. Going through Popsike it appears that every pink Island label of this album was mastered at Bell Sound. In my opinion it's quite bizarre for the Island label to do this.

[​IMG]

The good part is it sounds fantastic, and nothing like the Bell Sound mastered albums I am used to hearing (Impulse! jazz).

18. Raunchnroll

I don't think What We Did With.. was ever cut by Polydor. Polydors are a finer looking manufacture and use backslashes with a number after the letters A & B.

Giorgio likes this.
  19. Raunchnroll

Al th
    The earliest copies of Traffic s/t I've seen made by Polydor show A//2 B//5. With the 1968 date coded Polydor inner sleeve.

I don't think theres an A//1 B//1 although maybe, like with King Crimson's debut, there could be a tiny number that were made.

20. shinedaddy

there is an A2/B2 of this which I guess was cut in the UK. I have seen it but never heard it

21. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I have two copies of UK Holidays, the pink "block" label second issue with matrix A/B3 this in stone cold mint condition.

The other copy is the third issue Island pink "White i" label with the matrix A2/B3

My UK pink "i" label of Liege & Lief is A//1 B//1

My UK pink "i" label of Unhalfbricking is A//1 B//1

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Pink label or pink rim?

To be honest I don't have the slightest inkling to try another. Kossoff's tone is sublime as are the vocals and bass.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

You are correct, I just checked mine

24. shinedaddy

pink label.the pink rims are -3U's I believe

25. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

That's what the s/t Traffic I just got is: A // 2, B // 5 -- although the symbol between the B and the 5 looks more like an upside down triangle...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.