Twin Peaks Soundtrack Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

2. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

I'm working my way through the series again. Usually do it in October, but this blu ray release pushed it up a bit.

Excited to get to the FWWM extra footage.

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'm currently taking a film noir class that focuses on Lynch. We watched the first season last week. It was great to cap it off with the deleted scenes.

4. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

Can't wait for this, this is really special music for me.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Never thought the movie was very satisfying. I wish Lynch and Frost had rather used the movie to tie up the last episode properly, given "TP" some sort of "proper" ending, even a Lynchian ending but as it is it feels like a fragment.

Rupe33 likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Here we go again. Whenever someone says "Plain" someone is guaranteed to say something like this. I'm not a fan of them myself but their Ween and Mazzy Star reissues were well done. So was "Ladies & Gentlemen" by Spiritualized. So it is not always that simple;)

7. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

I'm hating that the new box set of the TV show is BluRay only. I refuse to buy a BluRay player, simply on principle. LOL It's a ridiculous money grab if you ask me (for those of us that don't need to see someone's facial pores. ;) ) Hopefully at some point they'll also release it on DVD. (But I won't hold my breath.)

What do you mean "Plain Records - the absolute worst." ?

8. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

1: I was skeptical about getting a BD player for the first few years, then grabbed a used Sony off Amazon for $80. If you have a HD television, it's worth it. It really does make a huge difference, far less debatable of a difference than the old 'vinyl mastered from digital vs. CD'. The BD versions of Blade Runner and The Shining changed my life.

2: Do any search for reviews of Plain Records. They're one of these reissue companies that put zero effort in their releases, flat, compressed audio most likely literally ripped from a store-bought CD. I learned first hand how horrible their reissues are. It's what caused me to start researching companies before buying records.

Back on topic, I'm super excited for this and can't wait for more info to come out. Hope there's a proper US distributor on the line. I binged on the whole series a couple years back via Netflix, and that intro music never got old.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the case of "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine, Kevin Shields is on record that Plain used the CD to cut the vinyl.

10. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

Well, he's speculating because he wasn't involved in that particular reissue. Who am I to argue with his assessment, though! I bought that garbage Loveless reissue from Plain off eBay for $80 sealed. I held a f**king listening party to christen it. Immediately I could tell it sounded like it was mixed on laptop speakers. I was able to flip it back on eBay "$69.99. Played Once!"

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I flipped it on eBay too. So disappointing.

I don't want to support that label. Between the MBV and the Elliot Smith releases, I won't take a chance on them.

12. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

According to a post by them on their FB page its "Coming in the Fall", so still no firm date, and no mention of it on their website which is odd.

13. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Still waiting.

14. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

The release date is October 21, 2014 (which I'd mentioned a page back, I believe. :) It was mentioned on their Facebook page. Though with the way vinyl (at least in the US) gets constantly delayed anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a delay.

15. Technocentral

Apologies, the most recent post I could find on their FB page just said "the fall".

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  16. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

The Missing Pieces are a curious selection of clips that don't make much more sense of FWWM but are worth a look for fans.

The Blu ray set is one of the best of it's kind and no I doubt subscribe to the constant bitching about sync issues, the packaging is superb and the quality of the series in HD is the best it ever looked, FWWM looks great although not as much an upgrade as the series.

As for the FWWM soundtrack I honestly thing it is one of the best of the last 25 years, I own the TV series OST but will be picking it up but the film will be the real coup on vinyl, it's never been available before.

17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Yes it has:

18. spintheblack72

I stand corrected, I honestly thought it had never been released on vinyl as I'd tried to track it down, this must have been an extremely ltd run?

19. Technocentral

Sorry, what are those?

20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Yes, it was a euro pressing in very limited numbers.

As for the audio sync issues on the Blu-Ray set that many people have been complaining about, CBS said yesterday they are looking into it.

21. Technocentral

Have the Boxset , haven't noticed any sync issues.

22. spintheblack72

A number of people on the likes of Blu ray.com have moaned about sync issues on the discs, Missing Pieces has been mentioned and some episodes, while I can't say I've watched everything I've had a flick through most of it and not noticed a thing myself.

As I said I think the this set is one of the best Blu ray TV packages so far and an absolute treat, I hope the same careand attention is applied to the vinyl reissues of TP & FWWM.

Technocentral likes this.
  23. Technocentral

Have watched most of docus and actual episodes, seems fine so far, not interested in the missing pieces in isolation, if they were edited into a new reasonable length cut I'd probably watch it, but out of context I'm not bothered watching them at all.

24. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

The sync issue is very real for a large number of people. The "moaning" is an attempt to get CBS to correct and reissue the affected discs. There are some of us who waited almost 20 years to see the "Missing Pieces" segment and to have it come with out-of-sync audio was a major disappointment.

Yes not all players are affected, but there are a lot that are.

jumpinjulian, ad180 and Jerry Horne like this.
  25. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Wow Bob Wow.
    That is a huge dissapointment. Maybe I should wait before buying. I wonder if the Australian versions have the same issue? The missing pieces is what I'm mainly buying it for!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.