Deep Purple - Mark I - 5CD-Set "Hard Road" - July 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirie, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Perhaps the original Stereo did not include the 'footsteps' the mono does, so I'm ok with it because my original JPN still retains it value for me, from only hearing one song as an Mp3 this set ROCKS, best Deep Purple as far as I am concerned, can't wait until my birthday to get the whole set :)

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's a bit much to get just one song. This is easier on the wallet (and easier to find).

[​IMG]

fitzysbuna, zen and Folknik like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My understanding is that Tetragrammaton thought that the title, "Wring That Neck" was too violent and would put people off buying the album.

Folknik likes this.
  4. And better sounding

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Have you heard this new box yet?

6. My "better sounding" comment was in reference to the "Listen, Learn, Read On" 6-CD box set and not in relation to the new release.

That "Listen, Learn, Read On" box set is interesting musically, but not mastered that well in my opinion.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Gotcha. I agree with you about the box.

8. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I have a real affinity for DP MK I. Love all those albums - of course the mono mixes are intriguing. Any mention about doing those on vinyl perhaps? Sure would be spiffy!
    --------- Chris

9. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

No, the stereo has it too. It's definitely on the 2003 remaster :)

10. Maidenpriest

yes, I know its on the 2003 remaster, but was it on the original UK Stereo vinyl ??:righton:

11. zen

zen Senior Member

Mine arrived from the U.K. today. That was fast!
    Busy tonight, so tomorrow night will be my first chance at it.

Maidenpriest and Mr. H like this.
  12. Maidenpriest

Really looking forward to your opinion Zen, I will have to wait until after the 9th August :)

13. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Checked PCS 7055 - yes it was/is!
    Checked SHSM 2016 - yep, there too :)

By the way, Playground (original mix) loses its first minute of tuning up/messing about, compared to the version on "Ritchie Blackmore - Rock Profile Vol, 1"

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I wish! Shipping info really clutters up many of the threads here.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Mr. H likes this.
  15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The Mark I lineup is my favorite era of Deep Purple. I listened to the sound clips on Amazon.de and they sound quite good. If any noise reduction is used on these tracks, if at all, it is very little. The US single of This Bird Has Flown sounded a little rough like it was from a 45 rpm single and sounded like some noise reduction may have been applied. Other than that, if the sound clips that Amazon.de is using are pulled from this new set and not other earlier releases this is definitely of interest to me as the sound is up to standard IMO. The remixes sound great too. The mono mixes of the first two albums sound great but not that different from their stereo counterparts. The stereo mixes of the first two albums have a fairly narrow stereo separation to begin with. But it would be good to have them whether they are fold downs or not.

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Waiting for a SQ review....

Platterpus likes this.
  17. Maidenpriest

It is how it was on the remaster, it is a much tighter mix than the version on Rock Profile 1 :)

18. urs

urs Member

I really like Deep Purple Mk 1 a lot. I remember when I was a kid, the band signed autographs in a record store in Bern, Switzerland. In the evening the band played in a cellar, in the old part of the town.

I got the Box-set on Tuesday, and I am very pleased from what I hear. The stereo version of the Book of Taliesyn sounds great. There is so much more detail to the recording, and the music sounds tight and lively. In my opinion there was not so much loudness used, and I can crank up the music. Shades of Deep Purple sounds a little raw, especially the Mono mixes. I was also listening to the mono-mixes of the Book of Taliesyn, but honestly I forgot how it sounded. In general, I prefer stereo mixes.
    This music is just great to sit back and enjoy.
    urs

19. urs

urs Member

I just listened to the album Deep Purple this afternoon. Like the ones above, the remastering sounds very warm, and many details to be heard. Very pleasant to my ears. I love the music.
    urs

Platterpus and heepsterandrey like this.
  20. Maidenpriest

Saw it today in a record shop and thought Sod it, Birthday be damned and got it:), what I hear so far sounds great :)

Mr. H likes this.
  21. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

any noise reduction?

22. heepsterandrey

are the sleeves like the Japanese mini lps with inner sleeves or the lower quality jackets being used for those complete albums collections that are becoming quite popular?

23. Maidenpriest

Not that I can hear:)

This set is the best I have heard these albums I have the original EMI's and I have heard the original JPN and also very good needledrops and so far in my honest opinion this set is the best version of these albums, very pleased, I just hope that Evans and Simper now get royalties for it !!:goodie:

24. Maidenpriest

No inner sleeves, the set is only £30. I have ordered Cd plastic anti-static Inner sleeves for it, looking forward to reading the book after my op :)

heepsterandrey likes this.
  25. heepsterandrey

Thank you for the replies Maidenpriest, I hope I get this set in the mail today or tomorrow.

Maidenpriest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.